Like whisky

>Like whisky
>Decide I'll buy a little bottle of something good
>Go to a whisky shop
>There's a gorillion different options and I don't know what I want
>The guy acts like I'm an idiot (which I probably am) and doesn't help me at all

God damn it I just wanted a drink and now I feel like a complete pleb.

Just buy Jameson. It's not amazing, but it's good enough, and only costs $22 at a liquor store.

It was Jameson that made me want to get a bottle of something nice, because Jameson tastes like utter shit. I've tried all the different types and Scotch whisky just seems to be better.

I got pic related in the end. It's only small, but it wasn't too expensive, and I know I like it.

You probably looked like a fucking idiot

Jameson is fine for mixing but Famous Grouse is hella nice on ice

Buy some wild turkey 101 or higher.

Glenfiddich 12 is one of my go to's

Whisky is not really worth bothering with unless you have some spare cash, imho
Laga 16 is a classic, look into other islay and peated whiskies if you enjoyed it.
This is the most common single malt in the UK afaik, and a great intro although quite boring after about 5 or so. Haven't had in an age.

I like to shill the Arran malt, because I helped produce some and feel it is the best value single malt currently produced. The 10yo is obviously a good starter, and the 18yo, sauternes cask, and fino sherry are all excellent.

What do you mean by helped produce some?

I feel like it's a bit of a shame making whisky requires quite so much time and equipment. It basically means only places with a fair bit of cash behind them can do it, so we'll never get a "craft whisky" thing.

Evan Williams. Can get a decent sized bottle for $15-20

That sucks senpai. I went to a whiskey bar last week and they ask things like do you like strong flavors, what kind of wine you prefer etc then recommend a few while telling about how they are made, what awards they won and how to pronounce those wacko names.

You're not an idiot, you're just uninformed. It's the job of the guy at the shop to inform people so they know what to buy. They guy you met sounds like a snob.

Has anyone ever tried this? I thought it would be a meme because it's Indian but apparently it's legitimately good.

I FUCKING HATE IT WHEN STORE OWNERS DONT HELP CLUELESS PEOPLE REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

DO YOUR JOB YOU LOW TESTOSTERONE PIECE OF SHIT

ITS WHY YOUR SHITTY BUSINESS IS GOING TO FAIL IN 2 YEARS FUCK YOU FUCK YOU FUCK YOOOOOUUUUUU

>The guy acts like I'm an idiot
fuck them, never go back.

this

Chances are people know what they want 99% of the time so why bother?

>people know what they want 99% of the time
How about when they ASK FOR YOUR RECOMMENDATION you brainless chucklefuck?

get some evan williams or early times. you can spend 100 bucks more and it will taste 10% better. or you can get jim beam or jameson and it will be awful. I want to try out old crow, i hear that's pretty good too.

Shit you can't be expected to know everything. I just don't see the point of "selling". You're only going to make a tiny difference to profit, and you'd be better just getting them to move on so you can get more people in to buy.

>What do you mean by helped produce some?
I went on a distillery tour and they were making it at the time.

I've always like the idea of foreign whiskys.

Gonna have to keep my eye out for this.

Jameson caskmates is actually smooth as fuck compared to the standard.. don't know it's price though comparatively but worth a try imo

t. Not regular whiskey drinker

I don't think you know how boutique stores work.

Retard, if you're friendly and helpful the person will likely regularly buy there and tell other people to do the same.
If you're a dick they may not come back

Honestly it sounds interesting. Apparently because of the heat there the process is much faster, so a three year has the flavour more like a six year. I'd imagine that would give it a different taste too.

Sounds interesting in any case.

Not whisky. Irish pleb tier shite

Just get an old, single malt Scotch and you'll never go wrong.
Who the fuck goes to a Whisky shop?
Just go to a liquor store you hipster weirdo.

All I'm saying is that 99% of the time selling is pointless. Make things cheaper if you want people to buy them. We're talking about a drink here, not a car.

specialty shop store owners are supposed to bend over backwards in the customer service department

too many shops pop up in my town where they dont do this and then sure enough six months later that storefront is empty again

Here's why selling is not pointless:

Store A
>I don't recognize any of the stuff
>Ask for advice and give my preferences and budget
>Store guy says "oh I think you'll like this"
>Pulls out a bottle of some mass-market swill, probably because it's all he knows
>Uhh, no thanks I've had it and it's not to my taste
>What's the matter user? Don't judge by the price, it's very popular!

Store B:
>I don't recognize any of the stuff
>Ask for advice and give my preferences and budget
>Store guy asks more questions, I answer as best I can
>Store guy says "Ok I was going to recommend such-and-such if you're flexible on the budget but here is one I think you might like, it's not what you are specifically asking for but I here is a very detailed rationale for why I think you'll like it"

Obviously, I'll go back to Store B, and I'll be hesitant to even go back to Store A because I would rather be around people who care about their product

I'm not much of a whisky drinker anymore (had to stop due to snowballing alcoholism) but this describes my wine buying experience at countless small neighborhood stores. This is not about "making things cheaper" because it's a different inventory at different places, obviously if there is one specific wine and I know what it costs, and it's sold by several stores, I'll go to the cheaper one but that usually isn't how it works.

Who cares if you're an idiot, it's up to the staff to assist you in your purchase. It's their fucking job.

I like my whisky to taste like liquid smoke.

Any recommendations?

Lagavulin. A friend of mine (who didn't like whisky) said it tasted like fag ash.

Yeah, and then the person in store B says "thanks for the recommendation" and leaves to find it somewhere cheaper. That's where the selling is pointless. You need to base everything on price if you want people to actually buy from you.

>Yeah, and then the person in store B says "thanks for the recommendation" and leaves to find it somewhere cheaper

So I'm gonna run around the city all day looking for a place that may or may not have some random bottle just to save 5 bucks? Please. The unemployment rate is what, 4%? Those people are drinking hobo vodka, not the kind of beverage that requires talking to someone at the store.

No, you go online. Obviously.

Go online and what? Waste 45 minutes taking the F train out to Park Slope and back just to save 5 bucks on some obscuro Hirtoake Ooka wine that's only sold at 3 stores in the entire city?

Once again, if we're talking about commodity bulk booze, yeah, obviously price is what matters, but past a certain level the products are not (usually) interchangeable in the eyes of the consumer.

You're an absolute fuckin wanker mate. That isnt even worth mentioning you pathetic cunt.
>helped make that shit
>up all hours burning the candle from both ends
>one of the biggest achievements of my life

You went on a fuckin distillery tour hahahhaah

I like Dewar's White Label.

It's light and sweet almost like a Cognac.

I don't see the appeal of really sweet whisky.

I think that was a different guy that was shitposting

I'm among the worst in the world at recognizing shitposts but yeah I too spotted this one, simply because I can't think of one possible scenario where doing a tour would improve or increase the production

This exactly. I work at a cheese shop and I don't give a shit if customers don't know a lot about cheese, in fact I really enjoy teaching them about it.

What does piss me off, however, is when people come in who don't give a fuck about good food and are just shopping at my store because it's expensive. Especially because these are the people who are rude and unwilling to learn about new product or engage with employees.

You shouldn't care about idiots.

If you're a chump, you're a chump.

A cheese salesman cannot fix such things.

>We're talking about a drink here, not a car.
There are plenty of bottles of single malt that are more expensive than lots of brand new cars.

Not to mention, if you're trying to just sell by price, why even have a store with employees? Why the fuck wouldn't you just have some specialty/boutique liquor website if people only buy on price alone and 99% know what they want? What's the point in paying to keep a storefront running just to have a guy stand around and ring things in? There are loads of people online capitalizing on the renewed popularity of single malt and they're mailing out taster kits and shit like that.

I think you're just pulling that number out of your ass, there have been plenty of times where I have gone to a local specialty liquor place, or a local music shop and wanted a recommendation and some information on different kinds of spirits, or audio equipment or whatever. I went in knowing I wanted X type of spirit or X type of headphones, but not the specifics. They helped me narrow down my choices and pick which suited what I wanted the best. I left informed on my purchase and on the topic overall. Additionally because I had a friendly and informative experience those shops are more go-to for any of my further needs. There is absolutely a point to selling for some people. I agree the majority of people come in knowing what they're looking for, but I don't think the number is 99%.

>There are plenty of bottles of single malt that are more expensive than lots of brand new cars.

Holy shit you aren't wrong.

Is there really a malt good enough to cost anywhere near that?

>Is there really a malt good enough to cost anywhere near that?
Diminishing returns, mate.

Everyone has a different sweet spot on price/performance, and this spot slowly goes up the more insanely rich you are.

Must be nice being rich.

hows the loser life treating ya?

If you knew that product was cheaper elsewhere you'd go there though.