Am I retarded? I somehow fuck up cooking rice EVERY. TIME...

Am I retarded? I somehow fuck up cooking rice EVERY. TIME. Even in a rice cooker! EVERY TIME! It either comes out too mushy or undercooked. I perfectly execute the directions. I use the e x a c t amount of water needed and cook on the e x a c t temperature it tells me to cook.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=DJFU7ezipbg
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Get an instant pot if you're that dumb. U can't fuck it up in one of those.

I'm the same way OP, unfortunately the verdict is that you're retarded, just like me.

what elevation are you at?

If you are using a rice pot, and the same kind of rice brand, and are not adjusting the water to rice ratio each time it's not perfect....then maybe the cooker is to blame. At some point, you increase or decrease the water amount and you get it right....assuming you aren't lifting the lid midway, or shortening the steaming time at the end?

i was taught to use 1:1 ratio of water to rice, and to compensate for the residual water in the washing

1 1/3 C rice

Wash in colander until water runs clear. After washing let sit for 30 mins.

Put rice in pot with 1 1/2 cups water cover and bring to a boil over medium heat. Do not lift lid. Listen for sound of boiling then cook 3-5 mins more. Reduce heat to very low and simmer for 8-10 mins. Then remove from heat and leave covered for 10 mins.

Perfect white rice every time.

First of all did your rice cooker's pot came with water level graduations?

>follows directions exactly
>rice doesn't cook properly
>keeps on following directions exactly
>shocked that rice comes out bad again

come on man

my roommate uses the rice cooker all the time and his rice comes out perfect.
I think I may be retarded.

Honestly? The instructions can be awful at times.
Rice cooker is the way to go. The following assumes this.
Washing your rice is overrated for most premium rice (calrose is basically the best general purpose serve as is rice there is, America is a rice paradise in general.), The trick is in not adding too much water - especially if you're using generic American long grain.

wheat > rice

I almost always go for jasmine rice. I don't believe it's necessarily to wash it.
I'll try this out. Thanks!

hi! i cook often, how you cook rice veries heavily upon what kind of rice you are using, so first of all, make sure you know that, and google will tell you what the ratio is, for the actual cooking, most rices, (excluding risotto rice, known as arborio) is cooked like this,

rinse rice thouroughly to remove excess starch
put rice with water (or stock or milk or whatever liquid) in a pot and bring it to a boil, its ok to stir it up untill it starts to boil, when that happens, cover it, turn the heat down, and let it simmer, check on it every now and again to make sure the temp is just a simmer (putting it into a oven will gently cook it too, the goal is to not let the bottom burn , while still steaming the top(if you're water is gone its ok to add a little, dont mix, just poke and tilt to rush water to one side)) before youre water is totally gone, take it off any heat and leave it covered to finish cooking

keep in mind if you add things before the rice cooks, more flavor happens, but any liquid could tilt the ratio, tomatoes, lemons, limes, you kno

Lmao, I love all these exact water fags.

Meanwhile I'm cooking rice in fucktonnes of water and simply draining it when the rice is cooked.

This isn't chemistry class, you don't need exact amounts of anything. You just fish out the rice, eat it, it's either cooked or it isn't. Fucktonnes of water isn't going to get magically absorbed, rice can only do so much.

enjoy your soggy rice
steamed > boiled

Use whatever ratio your rice needs rinse it 3 times bring water to boil pour in rice cover chuck into 400 degree oven for 16 minutes pull out and let stand for 5 minutes then fluff with a fork. Works pretty good imo

>10 years of catering experience
>15kg sacks of rice daily
>soggy rice

Pretty sure my kitchen experience trumps your pottering around in your kitchen, buddy.
Don't worry about me enjoying anything, worry about my 150 patrons.

Boil it like pasta

Works every time

sounds like a pretty low rent caterer
filling people up on heaps of fucking soggy ass rice

Size of your pot will impact your success rate, as it will change the amount of steam a given amount of rice will get.

I had a small pot I used to cook 1 cup of rice with 1.5 cups of water, and it came out perfect every time. When I shitcanned that pot and bought a new, larger, pot, I couldn't cook that same amount of rice using the same ratio. However, when I doubled the amount of rice and went to 2 cups of rice to 3 cups of water, it comes out fine, despite being the same ratio.

Use a 1 measure of rice to 1.5 measures of water ratio.
Rinse the rice.
Add it to your water, season, cover, and bring to a rolling boil.
Turn down to low heat and cook for 10 minutes.
Turn off heat and let rest for at least 8 minutes, then uncover, fluff and serve.

If this ratio doesn't work, double it and try again, and keep going higher until you hit the sweet spot for your pot, and just store any extra in the fridge.

youtube.com/watch?v=DJFU7ezipbg

My rice sucks too, but then when i reheat it in the microwave it's perfect.

>Implying you can't strain it
>Implying you can't reheat it
>Implying you can't dry it
>Implying you can't fry it

Try again, kissless virgin.

this always mystified me.

>tfw you actually prefer mushy/sticky rice, the stickier and bigger in volume the better
I feel blessed. it's so easy to "fuck it up" and make it so sticky it comes out like a pot-shaped brick

I laughed too, but I could see some of the reasoning behind it.

Recently been camping up in the mountains and shit takes longer to boil/cook. That is unless the stove was shit.

measure the water needed with your finger. Water to rice should measure up to the first joint/ginger you bend. Perfect rice every time.

Just realized I was the only one to know this trick in this thread. You guys suck. Don't do that ratio crap.

Stupid "trick", amount of water would be different each time you use pot with different diameter.

Just shut the fuck up dumbass. You clearly don't have the experience cooking rice and I'm not even going to try to explain it to you.

I eat rice every day...

Which would also change the amount of rice.

But in another ratio.
>I'm not even going to try to explain it to you.
Cos you cant