Britain

Gonna visit the UK this summer

Ive had british breakfast on a plane once, it was shit

Should I order spotted dick?

What are those pubs with a carving station for meat? Ive watched the Inbetweeners

>plane food is shit

Shocker.

If you're in London get breakfast at Hawksmoor to be blown away, or at E. Pelicci (Bethnal Green), or Maggies (Lambeth....though I've no idea why you'd visit Lambeth) for a more traditional experience.

Sure, spotted dick is pretty nice

Only pensioners go to carveries

I dont eat breakfast. A cup of coffee, then huge lunch and tiny meals until dinner.

Please explain carveries, any good and how much?

Oh, Yeah I'd also avoid carveries (pubs with carving meat); usually low quality af but there are plenty of restaurants and pubs that do very good roast dinners...Blacklock (Soho) and Hawksmoor (various locations) would be my go to bets, but a lot of pubs do a decent roast.

Don't go to chain pubs....if they have professionally printed adverts/menu's...avoid.

I'd recommend maybe making an exception if you're visiting a foreign country for the food....

You don't have to be a chain pub to acknowledge the virtues of menu design

For legit traditional food go to Rules, Simpsons on the Strand or The Ivy.

£££

It's a place that has roasted meats (chicken, beef, etc.) They slice off pieces of the meat and serve it to you, often with cafeteria-tier side dishes.

>>any good
No.

>>how much
Varies; google it.

Is it supposed to be a meal? In the Inbetweeners, some underage kids just used it to circumvent drinking laws.

yes....it's meant to be a meal. it is a meal.

Whats the side dish and how much does it cost?

>Is it supposed to be a meal?

Of course. It's the same idea as having a family roast dinner, but at a restaurant instead.

Carveries just serve our normal sunday roast in a pub. Most carveries are mediocre, some are great but they are often in a pub in the countryside.

I barely know what a sunday roast is, we dont do actual food in finland.

>Whats the side dish

There are usually a variety of them to choose between. Basic cafeteria-tier shit: mashed potatoes, boiled/steamed green beans, carrots, etc.

>I barely know what a sunday roast is

Google can fix that for you.

>Should I order spotted dick?
good luck finding it

>What are those pubs with a carving station for meat? I've watched the Inbetweeners
A carvery. They're generally shit as its a pile 'em high sell 'em cheap affair.

Go to a gasto pub, order a roast and expect middle tier basic food.

>Spotted Dick

I've only seen this on a menu a handful of times in my life.

Order sticky-toffee pudding, bakewell tart, and treacle tart for sure though. Also fruit crumble (apple is most common, but Rhubarb or Gooseberry are best).

>I barely know what a sunday roast is

Traditional British Sunday dinner. You are supposed to place it in the oven to cook before you go to Church and when you get back it is done.

Roast beef/lamb/chicken, with potatoes, carrots, parsnips (maybe other veg) and gravy. Yorkshire puddings are optional.

Do you know what the Anglosphere Christmas dinner is? It is basically a less fancy version of that which we eat every week.

>plane food
Well of course it's going to be shit

If you want a good English breakfast go to Hawksmoor in London

Another good traditional place in London is Rules - supposedly the Queen's favourite restaurant
I also recommend Galvin on Baker Street and The Wolseley in Mayfair
For fish, go to Scott's or Nathan Outlaw. For a more informal fish and chips go to the Golden Hind in Marylebone.
Coincidentally it's opposite another good restaurant called Le Relais de Venice, which does steak

This is assuming you'll be in London

You'll be absolutely spoilt for choice and I'm not an expert so I really, REALLY recommend picking up a copy of the 2017 Good Food Guide. Seriously

>What are those pubs with a carving station for meat?

They're called carveries. They're for working class people and they're best avoided. You won't find many in London these days anyway

Whats the name for the cut of meat?

Id imagine that long cut of lean meat close to the neck. My meat vocab is mediocre.

nothing exists outside of london.

There are good restaurants outside London but they tend to be hotels or gastropubs in the middle of nowhere

Getting the Good Food Guide or something similar is the only way OP will have a good time culinary wise

>Whats the name for the cut of meat?

Could be whole poultry (chicken, turkey). Pork loin. Beef "standing rib roast"--that's the same cut that ribeye steaks come from.

Is there a common term for "entrecote"

Some back meat

Fuck, its just "roast beef"

I feel shame

bump

Make sure you visit Wetherspoons, the finest pub in the United Kingdom, the Queen herself pops in there for a quick half at lunchtime. They serve an incredible array of really brilliant beers.

Don't forget Nandos, either, it's essentially a very upmarket Michelin star version of KFC. Their chicken is truly incredible. So moist and delicious.

Personally, I would also recommend Little Chef, you can find one at any major motorway service station; their food is envied across the world for its wonderful, vibrant flavours.

I 100% agree with this

anchor and hope or 32 great queen street are a couple of banging gastropubs