Bone

What are your thoughts on cooking/serving meat on the bone?

Personally I think it's just a showpiece and a convenient way for restaurants to serve you less meat for a higher price

It also interferes with both pan contact and internal heat distribution

That picture looks dumb desu

Helps from overcooking the meat, but having a 2 foot bone sticking off your plate is just presentation. And dumb.

>way for restaurants to serve you less meat for a higher price
wut?

My roommate won't eat anything with bones

If it gives access to the marrow, it's great

Keeps the meat from drying out. I'd always chose to keep the gone inside.

Yeah, they get away with it because it looks 'cool' and takes up more space

That's what I thought you'd say.
You are retarded.

They'd be charging the same regardless

You must not go to a lot of restaurants

I actually go to a decent number of resutraunts, at least 7-8 a month in the $30-70 per plate range.

Washington DC area, so decent selection of all sorts of cuisine.

I don't think your question is very well thought out.

If you cook the meat on the bone, then you have to serve it on the bone. It would look retarded and sketchy if you cooked a steak on the bone and then cut it off just before serving.

You can cut it off before you cook, but keeping it on the bone is supposed to provide more flavor and tenderness.

I assume your question is really basically "do you prefer steak bone in or not" or "do you think restaurants are ripping you off by selling steak by weight with bone in" (or some variation of that question). Otherwise, your question is actually just "What do you think is best for presentation?"

>If you cook the meat on the bone, then you have to serve it on the bone.

What about carving a standing rib roast or any kind of roast poultry?

What about BBQing a whole hog?

When was the last time you went to a restaurant and bought a whole hog?

I've never bought the whole hog, but I've been to whole-hog BBQ restaurants many times.

I noticed you didn't address the standing rib roast (aka prime rib) or the poultry part of the post. Care to mention why you ignored those things?

Fair enough - technically speaking "meat" is frequently cooked on the bone and served cut off it. However, OP's comment appeared to be in relation to steak and hence so was my response.

- was a different person. I addressed your points.

I can literally smell your autism through my phone.

Serving meat on the bone is just a showpiece and a convenient way for restaurants to serve you less marrow for a higher price.

Not who your responding to, however:

>poster talks rationally and sensibly about food. Asks a legitimate question. You accuse him of having autism.

Who really has autism?

I've never got to try marrow but would like to. Can anyone kinda describe the taste and texture of it?

It has a very smooth texture--it's not chewy or grainy in the slightest. It has a very rich, savory meaty taste.

>would like to try marrow.

Really simple to do. By some beef or veal shanks and make osso bucco. The name sounds scary, but it's just a simple braise with miropoix, wine and beef broth. Then take a butter knife when you're eating it and scrape out the inside of the bone. The very best part of osso bucco. A real treat.

spoonfuls of meaty fucking goodness
like butter on bread, but more flavorful and filling.

Thanks user. I've looked around and I think there's 2 steak houses that have it where I live. Pretty spendy steakhouse joints, but anyways the ol lady is a vegetarian so i'll have to grab some buddies to try it out.

I like having the bone and eating the meat off of it once I'm through most of the steak. Usually grill my own steaks too though instead of going to a restaurant.

Just go to the buffet if you want to stuff your face you fat shit.

2015, the cavity was stuffed with deboned chickens

I find this thread triggering. Bone-in meat is much more flavorful.

>cooking on the bone gives you more flavour

Link one (1) scientific research paper that supports this theory

>cooking on the bone helps with tenderness and moisture retention

If your beef is coming out dry and tough then I have a radical idea... adjust the cooking temperature and/or time

All bones do is:

a) interfere with internal heat distribution so that the meat next to the bone cooks at a different rate to the meat further away
b) make it harder to get an even colour on the meat during the searing stage, due to their solidity and lack of contraction
c) make it more likely that your piece of meat wont fit in your fucking pan or oven

who cares bout your gay roomate, you guys fucking? your room mate needs to grow up big time

Does he only eat jellyfish?

Obviously OP hasn't cooked much meat in his life. Dude, you look stupid to anyone with any grilling experience.