GMOs

Have they ever managed to make a whole new species of plant that is both edible and delicious?

If they can splice fish DNA into a tomato, why aren't there all kinds of delicious designer foods available?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ovKw6YjqSfM
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_rice
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21402100
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24503016
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19729209
journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0163231
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2794336/
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23544381
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24184047
thefisheriesblog.com/2012/10/29/rotenone-the-fish-killer/
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4311144/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>why aren't there all kinds of delicious designer foods available?

This is one of my gripes as well.

Sadly, the focus of GMOs, empirically, has been all cost-related. Higher yields, better disease resistance (related to a higher *sellable* yield), better survivability during long-distance transport, and so on.

>why aren't there all kinds of delicious designer foods available?

Because the people creating these monstrosities have no idea what they're doing, and have no clue what the long term consequences will be.

I don't know, have you ever eaten broccoli, kale, cabbage, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts or basically any fucking farm product which are all universally a result of creating new cultivars of existing plant species?

That's bullshit sorry.

The SOLE purpose of GMOs is to make plants more resistant to glyphosate so you can spray more of it on them.

I don't think you grasp that Monsanto is simply trying to sell as much of their chemical shit as possible.

There is no amazingly fruitful GMO plant. If there is, show me it. Plants produce the exact same shitshit but with thousands of percents more glyphosate.

Those are from selective breeding. Not GMOs
That's a very uneducated opinion. They feed millions of people every day.
>There is no amazingly fruitful GMO plant.
Do you know for a fact why there isn't?

I have no idea why you say that more fruitful plants are born from genetic modification but then you say they aren't, but I do think you're misstating the objectives of monsanto.

They are a chemical company, not a company that is out to solve world hunger or better mankind, they literally just want to sell more of their chemicals and that's it.

I just got done eating a bell pepper that was 50% bigger than my fist. These things can't exist without genetic modification.

I'm not saying montsanto are saints curing the world of hunger, but I am saying that genetic modification can and does produce a hell of a lot of food these days.

I guess if you want to split hairs, selective breeding does produce a genetically modified organism.

There is a significant difference. Even just from the public's point of view.

No monsanto doesn't make those, other people do. You can not find any evidence that they do anything but make vegetables more resistant to their chemicals because that's all they do.

Monsanto neither created or patented your giant pepper and some quick searching around will tell you that they didn't.

They never did a single thing related to production, disease resistance or size of fruit.
All they did was make it so you could spray more pesticides on the crops and made them infertile, which is a huge step backwards from the progress you speak of.

In the literal definition of the phrase, it's a genetically modified organism. I know the general public doesn't know that, but whatever.

You do understand that pesticides are a major player in increasing crop yield and thus a big step in lowering food prices and world hunger etc.

>If they can splice fish DNA into a tomato, why aren't there all kinds of delicious designer foods available?
Because they are hard to market and there is a shit ton of government forces trying to stop or slow to a ridiculous crawl any innovation.
It just costs an incredible amount of money to test your product and get it through the red tape so only huge corporations have the resources to do it. The actual development of them isn't too bad and getting easier every year, but to be legally allowed to sell it is always getting tougher

This. The GMO harpies yell about how they're feeding the world, yet they destroy their excess produce before they'll give it to starving people. GMO developers' sole goal is to control the production of staple agricultural products and sell more of their poisonous chemicals. Of course they find fertile ground in the Corporate States of America. However, every other 1st world country and many 3rd world countries reject it. And rightly so.

BT (pest resistance) and glyphosate resistance have dramatically increased yields, thats why farmers like them so much and keep buying them

Their goal is to make money by selling farmers things farmers want to buy by making products that are better than was previously available

Because farm conglomerates don't want to shell out millions for a novelty food that will probably fail. They want more profitable crops that already exist.

Sure but at what cost?
Every vegetable on earth being contaminated and legally owned by monsanto? Your crop legally belongs to them even though you grew it on your land with your own resources even though you didn't biy their seeds and the wind contaminated your crop?

How far are we going to take this shit dude?
Are people so fucking lazy that they can't grow a vegetable without spraying chemicals and using plant fouling miracle group?

I planted tomatoes 4-5 days ago and they are all an inch long already and they will be grown organically in the ground and will not suffer from any of the mystical diseases that monsanto claims exist. If a bug gets on it, I will use air, water or a finger to remove it. If a leaf rots, I will remove it. If a tomato rots, I will remove it.

Spraying chemicals is not the future they talk about.

Assembly line robots can remove blemishes in any product with blasts of air while the product travels 100mph past a laser.

How can we not build harvester type machines with this same tech to remove blemishes?
The answer is that we can. And they would work. The only thing left to get rid of is pestilence, which GMO takes care of already, which is great. But we don't need chemicals to do the fucking rest.

Why are we not using the simplest of color detecting robots that were developed 3-4 decades ago instead of poisoning ourselves?

>Sure but at what cost?
very little cost
>Every vegetable on earth being contaminated and legally owned by monsanto
due, what?

I just want to point out that this entire rant is insane

Fine if you like to eat food sprayed with agent orange and gatorade, please go ahead. I prefer food sprayed with water.
I have absolutely nothing against GMO in principle, but I as well haven't seen anything that is of interest to me.

>The SOLE purpose of GMOs is to make plants more resistant to glyphosate so you can spray more of it on them.

There are plenty of other examples, for example the use of Bt to make insect resistant crops.

Also, the whole point behind making plants resistant to glyphosate is economics. The farmers buy GMO seeds that are glyphosate tolerant because it makes maintaining the fields more economical. It all boils down to cheaper.

>>Plants produce the exact same shitshit but with thousands of percents more glyphosate.
Plants don't produce glphosate, bro. It's sprayed by the farmer. You have little idea what you're talking about.

>>nd sell more of their poisonous chemicals

Glphosate is less toxic than table salt. Look up the LD50s yourself if you don't believe me.

I'm not defending the practice of using it, but calling it toxic (to humans) is simply wrong, and that hurts our credibility when we try and campaign against it.

Would you drink a glass of Glphosate to proof your point? Also salt is pretty toxic I think thats a bad example anyhow.

oh btw. youtube.com/watch?v=ovKw6YjqSfM

Because muh morals > humanity

the amount of glyphosate entering your body from eating food grown with glyphosate is just so ridiculous tiny, you need grams of it to become toxic and you are receiving micrograms

Don't get me wrong, I understand that roundup isn't extremely toxic and will kill you on sight. However it is a herbicide that kills every plant except from genetically modified ones and is certainly not something you really need to get in contact with. Especially not because you can grow plants just fine without using any product.
The feed the world argument is pretty stupid as well because the problem is not that we cant produce enough product. The problem is mostly distribution and often stupidity of people. Like people who live in the desert without water in houses built from cow dung instead because their grate grandfather also lived there and its holy land or something.

Plants have a lot of biochemical pathways that are not present in higher animals such as humans. The fact that something kills plants does not suggest that much about its effects on humans

>kills every plant except from genetically modified ones
That's not true. It kills all leaves. In forestry it's used to give species like pine a one-up

>The problem is mostly distribution and often stupidity of people
Being able to grow more per amount of land certainly would help with the distribution side of things

There is research that shows that Glyphosate interact with gut bacteria who do have said chemical pathways. This doesn't need to be a problem, but at least sounds scary enough to me, to stay as far away as I can from that product. Especially since I try to protect and even increase my gut bacteria with eating only fresh and unprocessed food.
But of course everybody is free to make their own educated choice. I just demand that the producers are forced to label their foods properly.

There is no evidence to suggest the levels of glyphosate residue left on store bought crops can have any detrimental effect on human health through effecting the microbiome or otherwise

I'm not sure if there is any evidence for that or not. However I prefer not to test it myself and like I already said, I'm perfectly fine growing my own food without chemicals or buying from local farmers who at least try their best not to use anything. I see no reason to experiment with potentially harmful chemicals and probably ruin all the soil in that process as well. I bet on those GMO farms is nothing alive left in the ground and they could basically just fully switch to LECA or even aeroponics. But in that case you might need to consider some mineral supplements as a side dish. Or why not just switch directly to pure sugar and supplements. I guess you could survive like that for a few decades with the help from insulin.

You act as though glyphosate is some new and mysterious product. It has been tested extensively and been common for decades.
> or buying from local farmers who at least try their best not to use anything
No one does this, all farmers use herbicides and pesticides because iit is really dumb economically not to. In fact organic farmers use more pesticides and often are forced to use outdated more dangerous chemicals because of the arbitrary ban on "artificial" chemicals for certified organic
>I bet on those GMO farms is nothing alive left in the ground and they could basically just fully switch to LECA or even aeroponics. But in that case you might need to consider some mineral supplements as a side dish. Or why not just switch directly to pure sugar and supplements. I guess you could survive like that for a few decades with the help from insulin.
What are you even talking about now?

>Thread about GMOs
>Everyone talking about herbicide

Thats because there are no actual arguments against GMOs, just getting mad about peripherally relate things like Monsanto or herbicides

>You act as though glyphosate is some new and mysterious product.
Before GMO it wasn't used in the food industry because it would have killed all the crops. Roundup-Ready is still reasonably new. Just think about how long people smoked tobacco until they found out it's pretty toxic. And there is already reason to believe that it might be bad for humans and is most certainly bad for all kinds of critters as well.

>No one does this, all farmers use herbicides and pesticides because iit is really dumb economically not to.
Unfortunately organic is not really what it claims to be. However there are farmers that are much stricter and try other things than modern monoculture. I am lucky to have a permaculture farm and a pretty decent organic farm right around the corner and I know those people personally and do trust them. You might think that it isn't economical smart for them to do this. But they are doing just fine and people gladly pay the higher prices. Since they sell mostly directly to their customers they can even keep all the profits instead of sharing it with some greedy supermarket chain.

>What are you even talking about now?
I suspect that GMO farming is killing the soil and everything in it. Therefore the crops are dependent on pure fertilizer, so there is basically no real need to have soil at all. It would be probably more efficient to use artificial soil that keeps the fertilizer better instead of washing it out. And I just question that food grown like this has all the things you need in it.

no it's mostly because there really is not much else to talk about. OP wanted to know if there are any brilliant new inventions and super foods. Unfortunately there are not and the only thing we get is some shitty industrial crops that are mostly used for cheap animal food and corn syrup. All things you shouldn't eat anyways.

>Before GMO it wasn't used in the food industry because it would have killed all the crops
Not true. It was used, the process was just much more labor intensive
>And there is already reason to believe that it might be bad for humans
No there isn't, at least not in concentrations plausibly found in food, maybe some minor concern for agricultural workers exposed to high doses over a career, but even thats unclear
>I suspect that GMO farming is killing the soil and everything in it.
Why? Also you speak of GMOs as if they are one coherent thing, GMOs can be all sorts of widely different things

>Why? Also you speak of GMOs as if they are one coherent thing, GMOs can be all sorts of widely different things
Don't be difficult I still speak about roundup. There isn't much else to speak about, so at least for me roundup-ready = GMO.
If you are unaware why this kind of farming is killing the soil you might need to read up on how soil works. But just a quick rundown: Bio degradable things like plants and animals fall to the ground and get degraded by nasty ground critters and microbes. Then those monsters shit out dirt that consists of all the things plants need to grow again. A plant is giving back more to the ground than it was taking out from it (because of sunlight, water and things it used up from the air). Additionally those ground organisms do all kinds of crazy shit with the roots of the plants in a good way.

As you might have seen, nature is just fine by itself and doesn't need no man. Plants are still growing and everything is plentiful even without fertilizers and herbicides.

But like I said already multiple times, you are free to eat whatever you like. I feel like I have good reasons not to eat GMO food and I have the money to buy higher quality food. But why would you care? Or are you already personally invested in that shit?

They can barely manage to sell rice that is demonstrably healthier in every sense, designed to benefit the millions of malnourished children in the third world, to bleeding heart liberal millennials because "MUH FUGGIN MONSANTO DEVILS".

How the fuck are they gonna sell a fruit hybrid called a Monsango(tm) that they literally forged out of the genetic ends of various things spliced together?

please post a link to that wonder rice and what it can do.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_rice

>is killing the soil
evidence? Also you realize that Non GMO needs like 4 times the pesticides to keep it clean right?

and GMO plants create superweeds that normal pesticides cannot kill, making everyone rely on monsanto for the new pesticide

So both have issues? Once again evidence that it actually damages the soil, not in a secondary way like the one you just gave.

Sorry, I'm a different guy

haha what?

GMO plants are resistant to very effective pesticides
Now if there are weeds that do survive the very effective pesticides, they multiple into giant gardens of super resistant weeds that normal pesticides cannot get rid of
meaning that people will have to use more pesticide when they apply it or they will have to use harsher pesticides both while buying newer GMO crops that don't also die with the new pesticide application

Keep in mind that each pesticide is different. Resistance to glyphosate does not imply resistance to anything else

He already gave you evidence, moron. Anyone that grows organically knows the importance of life in the soil. In Monsanto's world, the soil is simply a mechanism to hold roots and deliver chemicals to the plant. Among reputable organic growers the soil is the primary foundation of a healthy plant and great care is taken to develop it. That's one reason why it's a rare event for an organic grower to use pyrethrins.

Give up your nonsensical attack on an agricultural method much older than the birth of agent orange.

>Anyone that grows organically knows the importance of life in the soil.
People that grow organically laugh at the people who buy organic food, they are just in it for the money
>Give up your nonsensical attack on an agricultural method much older than the birth of agent orange.
This is like saying we should go back to riding natural organic horses because cars are unnatural

>people that grow organically laugh at the people who buy organic food

No, they do not and you have no evidence to the contrary. Or maybe you have some alternative facts up your sleeve?

>organic growing is equal to horsecart technology

Fool. Tell me, how does one grow organic produce responsibly with only extreme emergency use of pyrethrins? Name 3 alternative insect pest control methods that don't involve crop rotation or prompt disposal of residual crop residue, the first line of defense. You can't name one.

What sort of foods would you like to see?
Without getting into some weird shit like pork flavored grapes some stuff I'd like to see

>watermelon with scoopable banana interior.
>lettuce with the flavor and heat of peppers.
>mushrooms and other fungus with the texture of a carrot or celery.

GMO research costs a lot of money, so the only way they can support their practice is by pursuing ventures that will generate a lot of money.
Even ignoring how leery most of the general public is of GMOs, creating functionally better versions of existing plants is going to be more profitable than creating vanity designer plants.

You're probably not going to see anything like that unless some rich guy buys out a GMO lab and goes Willy Wonka on it, making crazy and unique things at a monetary loss.

I know a bee keeper/researcher who lost pretty much every single bee last year due to a near by farmer using monsanto seeds.

>involve crop rotation or prompt disposal of residual crop residue

What's wrong with using those methods?
Will it make the produce more expensive? Sure. But I'm happy to pay.

>He hasn't heard of CRISPR
smuganime.jpg

>muh cas9 = transhuman technoutopia FALC fantasies

spotted the millennial, enjoy never witnessing human genetic modification in your lifetime.

>implying your """"organic alternatives"""" to glyphosate like Rotenone and pyrethrin derivatives aren't known dementia triggers in man and detrimental to fish stocks around the world

glyphosate is a fucking saint in comparison to what you retards spray on your crops with the delusion that it's "more wholesome" just because it comes from plants.

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21402100

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24503016

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19729209

journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0163231

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2794336/

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23544381

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24184047

thefisheriesblog.com/2012/10/29/rotenone-the-fish-killer/

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4311144/

BUT ITS NATURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

NOTHING NATURRRRR CAN HURT ME OR WILDLIFE RIGHT??????

OMG THE USDA LIEEEEDD! HOW COULD MY GOVERNMENT EVER LIE TO ME? OMGGGGGGG

lol, shut em up real fuckin fast, good job user

Many people in this thread already pointed out that nobody advertises to use toxins on food. It's a shame that the organic label is mostly a smoke screen, but some people actually prefer nothing sprayed on their food whatsoever and are willing to pay the price.

In my private garden I don't use ANY products and the food comes out just fine and I would argue even better than anything you can buy. Only thing I use is very little animal feces, compost, wood chips and smart planting. I try to increase bug diversity as well.

Can this be done on an industrial level? Probably not with the tools with have today, but it's certainly not impossible and people who can afford it, are willing to pay more. So just chip all your GMO crap to africa and let us have real food.

Notice the attempts to cultivate us vs them tribal mentality by the user with an agenda.

Suddenly, it's not GMO we're against, it's big evil Monsanto! Yeah rally against "the enemy" for MY feelings!

You see the rest of us as ants, and I despise you and everyone who follows your technique.

>In my private garden

Nobody cares retard.

>Can this be done on an industrial level?

Of course it can. But it would be more costly than current methods.

The average consumer really doesn't give a shit. They buy what's cheap.

It's a bit like "Made in the USA" (or the equivalent for your home country). When people are polled if they prefer products made at home then they nearly always will answer yes. But when you track how people actually spend their money? The vast majority buy whatever is cheapest.

>A study in the Philippines is aimed to evaluate the performance of golden rice, if it can be planted, grown and harvested like other rice varieties, and whether golden rice poses risk to human health. Data has not been released yet.
>As of 2016, it is still in development.
>The search for a golden rice started off as a (((Rockefeller Foundation))) initiative in 1982.

Well I personally don't mind if you give this to starving people if it really helps in some way. I personally have no use for more vitamin A and don't want this in my rice. If I like to have it, I add carrots.

However there is a high chance that it's main goal is to create infertility in poor regions, since it's from the (((Rockefeller Foundation))) and I fully support that idea.

lmao no wonder you bit the anti-GMO cult

friendly reminder to report /pol/ outside of /pol/!

What? As you can clearly see I support GMO products that make actually sense like sterilizing billions. But they are still in development and might never come out if the Filipinos get sterile to early and find out about that masterplan.

And to stay on topic, that wonder rice is still in development and is pretty boring, when you consider that it's nothing more than rice mixed carrots in one product and probably tastes like ass.