Any mil cooks here

Long story short, I just turned 19, Im an orphan originally and have no family and no friends. Ive only had 300 dollars max to my name and Im thinking of joining the army as a cook. Any body here has any info (done this job) I would appreciate it.

you'll get stuck with a bunch of shit jobs, don't know why the army still has that mos when they outsource all their meal services to civillians

Because we don't take civies with us into the field.

is that no what mres are for? do you guys really take along a cook and mobile kitchen when you go into the field?

the coast guard will pay you a 40,000 dollar bonus to join as a cook if you have a culinary degree

MREs are meant more as meals to eat during forward deployments, where the average warfighter will be expected to be away from places with a proper supply chain.

MREs are also good supplementary meals, but are in no way meant as a long-term food source, even when it's used that way.

As for military cooks, they have their place but the only ones who do actual cooking under near-restaurant conditions would be Navy cooks. Army and Marine cooks are more selective, as are AF ones.

Yes. Never, ever denigrate the importance of a hot meal on troop morale. Better commanders have and have regretted their folly.

Op here,

So is the job good? I got offered 60K to be a cook.

Can I rank up quick?
Whats the schedule usually like?
Is it nig nog central?

go to /k/ and look for /meg/
(military enlistment general)

What kind of ingredients do military cooks have to work with? Issued or local produce. Is there a time limit you have when preparing food?

Yeah but this is food and cooking. Any body who posts there about a job that isnt a designated k circle jerk gets told to go to some other board

if i were you id join as a truck/bus driver MOS

out in the civilian world you can get chill steady jobs as a bus driver. with great benefits and good pay.

I heard every recipe has to be approved and you have to go by a schedule

learn from my mistake if you do go that way, on the day you ship out they may call you back to an office and tell you there's a mistake with your paperwork and try to hustle you out of your bonus in favor of a much smaller one. it's a scam, stand firm and refuse to sign new papers

Nah, thats the one job everyone said to not do

Think IEDs and stuff

good looking out

I got to go to the chow hall on a base close to my house. The facility looked spotless and professional. The cooks didnt seem the brightest and the e7 in charge was a young dude i felt I was smarter than him as well. Thats what made me think of doing this

Ingredients are picked for you. You cook what they tell you to, exactly how much they want, when they need it. If you're posted out somewhere though with minimal supervision you might be able to barter for some meats and shit.

get into something tech related and thanks to the skills you get and the security clearance you'll get, you can get a sweet ass gig as a civilian contractor when you're done

Like what?

Im a wage slave right now and rent out a room above a garage.

I know how to change oil and fix 2stroke engines....kinda like sling blade

Cooks are among the biggest pieces of shit in the army. A bunch of ghetto niggers, ghetto bitch niggers, spics, and various lazy shitbags that give exactly two shits about doing their job. Any decent cook in the army that manages to show up to a unit with some semblance of motivation will soon have that motivation eliminated by the worthless welfare in unform fucks they'll be forced to work with.

Bottom line: if you're a piece of shit, and want to be surrounded by other pieces of shit, go for it...

If I do it Im gonna go for 20 years. I figure why not since the 20 year 50 percent retirement is going away

Care to share some stories

Im op btw.

Whats a job that I will be around more people of the caucasian persuasion?

probably the best route for you would be something like aircraft mechanic

meh, it's very possible that you won't want to reup when you're first contract is over so don't box yourself in

I heard after about 5 years in if you know your shit people leave you alone and life is good. That was just what some retired dude told me

Any of the jobs that actually involve going out and getting shot at. Or a medic, but you will still be shot at.

I want a job I can do good at and enjoy I was looking at watercraft operator too

I love how all the people serving food in that picture all look one million times happier than any lunch lady.

I was in the army. I get the impression the cooks rank up fairly quickly. As for what your post military job prospects are, I'm really not sure. It might carry over well to managing a buffet or catering service. The guys with stripes will be doing inventory on supplies and ordering what they need.

If you're looking for whitey, do something in intelligence or linguistics. Your test scores will need to be sufficient. More than the minimum for a cook. You'd also need to take the DLAT for linguistics too.

well, it's staged. should be shit heads with less rank frowning about as they throw you a boiled hot dog to put in your stale bun.

Or any actual military personnel that does something worth a shit.

That's because they don't do it on a daily basis. Black dude is a sergeants major, and the white dude is a captain. Traditionally, senior leaders serve the chow on holidays like Thanksgiving and Christmas, which is apparently what's going on here.

Usually, the server will be Shanika or LaDarius, and the chow will be poorly cooked, because they don't give a shit.

What's to tell that hasn't been said already?

Army cooks in conventional units are raised in a toxic environment of apathy, and I wouldn't recommend joining as one.

My bro was in the army.. He said when you start basic training the whole squad takes turns preparing the meals... You could probably go further when you finish your basic training being a cook full time.

He was very successful in the army and is now in college. From what I could get I would recommend it. Don't be a lazy pussy. and don't smoke weed lol that's what I got busted on.

Retired Army (2016) here. Cooks have an awesome potential career path. Basically, there are tons of cooking competitions (And by that I mean, culinary competitions where you serve officer O-6 and above). Winner gets VERY good rewards (such as personal chefs to generals, etc.)

It's up to you how you want to do things. Basically, once you get out of TRADOC, tell your first line what your aspirations are. He/she will set you up for success if they aren't a shitbag NCO.

If you don't want to be the stereotypical NIGGER cook, get hungry and never settle for "no" from your chain of command. Just... Don't break regs doing it.

>whats to tell that hasnt been said already

I dunno gotta keep the (you) farm going

It's DLAB...

Ah. It's been 8 years I don't fuckin remember.

an army marches on its stomach

woe to the stinking brown masses ahead and behind of OP's brigade

why are all Army cooks either fucking retarded rejects or gifted geniuses? There is no in between.

If you really like to cook and want to serve, join either the Navy or the Air Force. Your quality of life will be much higher in one of those branches than the Army or Marines.

> Former Army grunt

Now this is rather interesting, I've never heard much about the Coast Guard. user OP, you might want to check them out too. You'll always be stationed near the coast and more often than not, stationed within America I think.

It'll be hard to top those duty stations and that sign on bonus in the other services.

because signing up for the military doesn't lend itself to being a middle-of-the road-do-nothing-more-than-you-have-to loser? You're either a motivated person or an idiot with no choices.

/k/ would have more advice

Are you in the coast guard?

Slavaboo food advice is probably not what op is looking for

Join the Navy as a cook

Better food, get to travel

Try getting into the submarine service

(Must like Filipino's)

(If you go any other Service, you had better like working and living with blacks, Army base I did training on the entire Mess was black, every single one)

like a 4 year degree or just a 2 year pastry thing i can knock out at community college

>nig nog
>a kid no one cares about that has never had more than 300 dollars still thinks he's better than an entire race

Join the army and get shot

I've never met the kid but it's certainly not a high bar

He's an orphan considering joining the Army as a cook. It sounds like he belongs there. It is a shit tier job for shit tier people.

Couldn't score high enough to get a tech job in the Army? Get shot.