Terracotta / clay pots

are these a meme?

are bowls and stuff a meme?

sure man. what the fuck ever. clay is now a meme. nice Veeky Forums. nice.

They're pretty awesome.

I'd guess they're nice for slow cooking because they're less conductive to heat.

>cooking with literal dirt
you might as well be cooking in a dirt pit

He's asking if its modern implimentation a hipster trend which is realisitcally either a hinderance or a more expensive way to do the same thing you would do with metal but which makes you feel cool and in touch with the earth or some shit due to cultural connotations, you dumb faggot.

They're just as much "literal dirt" as a metal pan is....where do you think metal comes from bro? Magical space fairies? No, it's dug out if the ground in this thing called a mine.

amen

no you retard
metal falls from the sky
look it up

dirt isn't made of metal

Most dirt is clay. Clay is mostly silicon oxide and aluminium oxide. Silicon and aluminium are metals.

but metal is made from dirt.

I have a clay pot, I only use it for cooking/serving beans because it's traditional.

so it doesn't have advantages?

The advantage is that it can go straight from the oven to the serving table, and it has a nice, rustic appearance.

In terms of actual cooking properties, it's quite a thermal insulator so I guess that's good for long, slow cooking. But I don't think it has any advantages over a nice cast iron dutch oven.

The advantage of cooking in an unglazed ceramic vessel is that it keeps food ridiculously moist. It usually soaked in water prior to use, and it will make roasted or braised meat or vegetable dishes nearly impossible to burn or be dry and overcooked via steam barrier. Using a heavy skillet to brown and a clay pot to braise/roast you can cook the most delicious food possible with very humble, inexpensive ingredients.

this.

I've also started doing some cooking in the Chinese style pots like pic related.

They're awesome because if you cook on a fire or grill the unglazed ceramic lets some of the smoke through, but not so much as to overwhelm the dish. It gives your food a really nice added flavor that's not overly strong.

I started out doing traditional Chinese and Thai dishes in them, but they also work great for Southern US and Cajun types of food. Perlou, Jambalaya, Gumbo, Etouffe, etc are fucking awesome cooked in these over wood.

It would help if I didn't forget my pic like a moron

Memes are a meme

This post is so wrong that I am almost certain you are trolling. In any case, triggered.

>fine, whatever! this random clay pot is your new kitchen cookware

I have nothing to add or ask about this but I wanted to say this was interesting.

it's a pot you put food in, stop being a faggot and over thinking it