I want to drink whisky properly. What should I do? Ice, water? Swill it about the mouth? Drink it at room temperature?

I want to drink whisky properly. What should I do? Ice, water? Swill it about the mouth? Drink it at room temperature?

What do you recommend?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/YVG1U-faqHY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Ice and a splash of water like pic related. Sip it slow and steady. Use a giant ice ball instead of regular cubes if you can.

i drink mine like this: three fingers whisky and two ice cubes. one sip at a time.
i've been told i'm a pleb for drinking it with ice but whatever, try it with or without ice, water, and stay with whatever suits you. there's no "right" way. fuck the snobs.

Insert bottle into anus and smash with hammer, then enjoy.

Neat. Room temperature. Ice is for homos as all it really does is dull the flavour.

>there's no "right" way

That may be true, but there's surely a good way to really appreciate the way it tastes.

That's what I do for Vodka.

Drink whiskey neat and slowly. Use your nose before you sip and most of all, just pay attention to how the all notes come together and flavors evolve as you keep drinking. They will change as the whiskey aerates and comes closer to room temp. Some whiskies you might enjoy better when they're cold, others when they're room temp and still others when they're midway. The most important part is paying attention, being conscious and taking note of what's going in your drink. This will help you appreciate the totality of the experience and, moving forwards, find the whiskies that you enjoy the most

a few drops of purified water and sip slowly. get the first sip under your tongue. breathe through your nose. finally, count your blessings. this is the most important step.

>I want to drink whisky properly. What should I do?

Drink it the way you enjoy it most, regardless of water, ice, or whatever...

I'd starr with this whiskey masters instructional videos. Quite a bit of useful information in his posts.

Picture and video related.

youtu.be/YVG1U-faqHY

I grab a glass and pour a little bit in.
Then I sip it like that.
t. whiskey knowledge man

I can't work out if this is supposed to be serious or a joke.

There actually isn't, it's how you enjoy it the most.

If you want to be anal about it then around room temperature but usually slightly less, neat, no water no ice.

Take a sip, swirl and swish it around in your mouth, and swallow. Breathe with the whiskey on your breath, contemplate the difference in flavors from in your mouth, what you smell and what you notice when your breath.

Swirl in glass and take rabbit sniffs of the whiskey, examine the colors it has.

That's the anal way to do it.

If you want to have some fun, take a peaty scotch and mix it with coke, it's extremely delicious

I don't care if it's a joke or not; that guy is amazing.

with coke? you're more of a pleb then i am.

>anal way
>no water
You're retarded.

Serious. It's educational while being funny. Posh Nosh was like this too.

>tfw I can appreciate the taste but I can't identify the flavours

I'm a pleb.

what kind of whisky are you drinking?

Drink it straight sipping water time to time

Lagavulin 16

It tastes like smoke. There's maybe a bit of wood varnish in there as well. That's all I've got.

you don't drink it for the flavor you dumb cunt

I'd not heard of posh nosh, this is great.

What the fuck do you drink it for then nigga

And don't say for getting drunk, you shouldn't get drunk on whisky.

You drink it how you like it.

If you want it on the Rocks then have it on the Rocks. If you want it neat drink it neat. If you want it with a splash of water get it with a splash of water. If you want Ice and Club Soda do that.

It's a fucking drink, not an artform.

t. Bartender who's had to deal with Mixologist snobs

I paid for my scotch with my own money, I'll do whatever I'll Damn well please with it.

Just try a jw black or double black with coke.

No water is for those faggots who just recently got used to the sting of the alcohol and are now bitching about others who can't drink whisky without diluting it in some way.

Whisky was meant to be drunk how you enjoy it the most.

Alcohol releases more aromas at lower dilutions, shitball.

I just keep my bottle under my desk next to my computer and that keeps it cool, and when I want some i just drink straight from the bottle like an animal.

don't drink scotch in the first place, I drink straight shots of everclear chased with mtn dew code red, and I snort crushed adderalls beforehand so I can be functional while very drunk

Room temperature with just a few drops of water.

1 cube of ice, the melting will dilute the whiskey sufficiently to mellow it out

Honestly, however you want. Don't let people tell you how to live your life user.

If you get your hands on a nice single malt or a 12yo then try it a bunch of different ways and see what you prefer. Neat, with ice, with whisky stones, with a bit of chilled water, with a dash of soda water and a twist of lime, a bit of ginger ale if you like it dry.

The only thing I'd tell you NOT to do honestly is having scotch with coke. Don't do this unless you get a really cheap & nasty one, then it's fine.

Sometimes I use a little ice sometimes not. Sometimes a make a scotch and coke but not if its good scotch.

I followed till the coke part.

Disgusting.

Also, make an old fashioned out of bourbon, or a roy roy outta scotch, t'is the way to go.

Fucking kek

We're talking about whiskey not vodka.

Short series, worth watching in an afternoon.

How to drink whisky really depends on what you're going for.
>'i just want to get drunk'
Shots. Faster ingestion and you'll taste it a lot less. Or mix it with coke or something. Doing either with expensive or even decent whiskey is a total waste though.
>'i drink it for enjoyment'
Drink it however the fuck you want. If your goal is to simply enjoy a drink, why do anything that lessens that enjoyment, regardless of how 'correct' people think it is?
>'i want to appreciate it'
Neat, room temp for first sip, then adding a very small amount (often just a few drops) of cool water if you think it needs it. Drinking it chilled or with ice causes it to be perceived as 'smoother' due to less noticeable alcohol, but also substantially mutes the flavor and aroma- less volatile compounds escape a cold liquid, and cold numbs your taste buds. Ice also dilutes your drink over time, making whisky stones somewhat better but not a lot better.

Generally i drink whiskey neat but that's just what i enjoy, and i genuinely don't care if someone puts ice or water or coke in their drink. Although i have seen someone order a Pappy van Winkle 20 and cola once, which i thought was a really bizarre choice. Dude paid like 100 bucks for 2oz of whiskey he probably couldn't taste at all.

>drinking for any reason other than getting drunk
why would anyone do this?

Do whatever you like.

If you like cocktails, better ingredients will make the end result better. If you want to drink it cold, put ice in it or throw it in the fridge. Taste it and decide if you want to water it down a bit.

Don't let people tell you how to live.

Define Drunk.

When you say Drunk I honestly picture walking like a mess and being a dumb happy motherfucker. Which hey can be fun once in a blue moon but not something I want to be in on a regular basis.

Being Buzzed is nice, food tastes better, jokes are funnier, etc.

Buzzed is 3 Beers, Drunk is 6+.

Whenever someone starts splitting hairs over "drunk" vs "buzzed" I automatically assume they're in deep denial about their alcoholism. It's like the pedos on /g/ going "it's ephebophile technically because she's 13". Sure thing buddy, enjoy your DUI.

>Buzzed is 3 Beers, Drunk is 6+.
Lightweight.

Look brother I'm not going to defend my drinking habits on a McChicken Discussion Forum, but if you can't see there being a difference between having a Martini with Dinner and getting smashed after drinking 10 shots of Crown Royal I just don't know what to tell you.

There's having a few drinks to relax and then there's getting fucked up.

Damn does that guy really get buzzed before finishing a 40?

Friend. Look.
120 Oz of 6% beer is buzzed.
And then the last 40oz will constitute drunkenness.

If a cop asks me how much I had to drink, I usually say 3-4 beers because it's true. They were just really, really big beers.

Dude you're an alcoholic. Seek help.

>martini
>with dinner
First of all, nobody does that, except complete degenerate alcoholics. You have beer or wine with dinner.

Second, I like how you're leaving this wide range of in between, which is obviously where you stand.
>well, I'm not having actually ten shots, that's a lot! ok? only alcoholics have ten. I didn't have ten so I'm ok!

Just an observation, no need to defend.

Then what the fuck should I be drinking to get drunk?

he said that 3 drinks is buzzed, which is where he likes to be

>this is what Veeky Forums actually believes

I've spent most of today on /v/ and this is still the stupidest post I've read.

No user, I'm just buzzed.

Being real I haven't drank in 19 days but there's no tolerance reset button here, it'll be 4 a day as soon as I get paid.

Thank you.

I like to drink scotch with a very small amount of water at room temperature.

My great-uncle, who is a glorious alcoholic degenerate and my favorite family member to loiter with while judging people at family reunions, swears by a lot of water and ice.

I figure the difference is he's keeping an alky buzz all day, and I'm just having a bit that I'd like to taste strongly.

Also, stop being retarded. Drunkenness isn't a binary, so of course there are greater and smaller effects in motor control and alertness. People who drink somewhat often will know their limits more than a teetotaler, but this does not automatically make for alcoholism.

I keep a bottle of crown xr in my desk. When it hits 5 o'clock I drink as much as I want and pour a tall one for the road neat. It's the best smooth as fuck

>It's like the pedos on /g/ going "it's ephebophile technically because she's 13
They'd be wrong about that technicality. Divisions between those particular philias are based on physical development, not age. That 13 year old could fall into just about any category, situation dictating.

That's why it's the best age.

Whiskey is a meme drink consumed exclusively by those who are either painfully insecure about their masculinity and want their father's approval, or need something to occupy their hands in between bouts of beating their wife and their bastard offspring.

the only right way is to drink yourself to death

but both of those perfectly describe russians, which would make vodka the drink of choice for that sort of person

Start with something simple like whiskey and coke. Maybe try mixing it strong or weak depending on what you enjoy. Then if you develop a taste for whiskey through a whiskey cocktail then you might feel like doin other things with whiskey. I actually like it room temperature now but I've been drinking for about a decade now. If you get tired of drinkin it room temperature but you want to still get fucked up don't be afraid to try it how you want it. Ice, boiled what ever you like. Hell I tried cheap whiskey with ice tea and lemon juice a few weeks ago. I didn't think it would work and I mixed it strong but it was pretty tasty.

What a lad.

>That feel when you understand videos like this perfectly now.
I fucking hate weak drinks.

You shouldn't put ice in Scottish whisky, it really dulls the flavour and when you are buying a "premium" spirit it is really a waste of money. Instead, pour a dram neat at room temperature, sniff it, and take a small sip. If you find the alcohol sting is overwhelming the flavour then add a small amount of room temperature water and try again. Repeat until you get all the pleasant flavour from it but without diluting it too much. Remember to take small sips, you don't gulp whisky.

You will get used to how much water to put in over time, I can guess it pretty well now so it doesn't take time. I like to keep a little jug on the table so I can add a drop more if needed.

Ultimately it is your drink and you should drink it how you want to, but ice spoils it. Here in Scotland, no one puts ice in a dram unless its a cheap blend and they are just wanting to get pissed.

This man gets it.

I know a chinaman that doesn't get Scotch at all or he at least doesn't care to get it, but all he does it throw back booze with reckless abandon. Fucking hell.

There are loads of ways of drinking whisky, try them all.

Ignore everyone else in this thread, the best way of drinking your whisky is however the hell you like drinking your whisky

Grab a hose and insert it into your anus.
Then pour whisk(e)y in through a funnel on the other side.

Just get a cheap bottle of teachers or grouse and drink it straight. Johnnie black if you're a fancy pants.

Want ice and water and cocktails and shit, get white rum and colas.