Have a lot of places selling tea like this shown up where you live? I get one almost everyday

Have a lot of places selling tea like this shown up where you live? I get one almost everyday

Not many boba places around here, but I'm not sure if I'd make any money opening up a stand, because I'm not a 25 year old asian girl

More than a couple. I'm honestly not a fan of the bubbles. Tastes like tapioca, do not want.

Like 15 years ago

Yeah, like 15 years ago.

>Tastes like tapioca, do not want.
It IS tapioca, Austin.

>Tastes like tapioca
NO WAY!

Not many new ones but there's a few pretty popular ones. My favorite one closed down. They had some really good flavors and it was cheap.

Nobody told me. Still don't like it.

Maybe like 15 years ago

Taiwan has been post-boba for years
Shaved ice bowls with fruit are whats hip now

There's like one left

yes and weirdly they are all run by black women for some reason
it has really caught on in the black atlanta community to open up bubble tea and milk tea shops

boba sucks. lychee jelly is better

this
also this

I had milk tea for the first time recently, got taro tea with pudding. It wasn't bad but not something I'm in love with either. Might try another flavor sometime.

It's fine without the bubbles.

Depends, who you'll ask. Most chinkfornians will tell you the big hype was ages ago. In western Europe it happened like 5 years ago and some other places might experience it now.

Yeah, about 6-7 years ago in my midsize Texas town.

It was in larger cities at least 10 years before that. The first time I had it in Houston was in '99; I'm sure it came to the West coast even earlier.

winter melon milk tea goat

barring that, milk tea with no sugar or oolong milk tea also no sugar, fuck the sugar makes it way too sweet, pudding is OK, nata is better but most of it is stuck at the bottom and it triggers my 'ism

we've had them for a while too. still never tried it and no desire to.

The best thing I've ever had to drink was a taro boba tea. I've had good ones since, but never on that level, even from the same place.

I'll get one once a week. The texture is addictive. Sometimes I'll go for mango or rose.

If you're near a college just give the place an artsy/hipster aesthetic and money will roll in

>nobody told you tapioca was tapioca
Well no shit no one has to tell you tapioca is tapioca you fucking mongol

I think the industry peaked 3 years ago. Sadly the only one that made iced jasmine green tea closed down. I make my own using Lipton jasmine green tea bags but the jasmine taste isn't strong enough. The bubble tea shop probably used an artificial flavour to boost it.

Agreed.

Yes and it makes me angry. Why do people like what I don't like? There is no logical basis for wanting fucking tapioca balls in any beverage, end of story.

There are zero Asians in this town so nope

I don't understand the balls on the bottom of the drink, they feel and taste like plastic

They're made from the roots of the tapioca plant. Starch powder is derived from this root. To form the boba they make a simple dough from this powder and water, then form small balls out of it. Typically the balls are dried and reconstituted later with hot water and placed in a syrup marinade to impart extra sweetness when they're added to milk tea.

I prefer Asian style shaved ice over boba to be honest.

Like condensed milk is some pretty good stuff over shaved ice.

What flyover are you from?

I've had this stuff many times, and in my experience the quality of both the drink and the tapioca varies GREATLY. Especially the tapioca.

The better places use actual milk, condensed milk, and/or cream in the drinks. The crappy ones use non-dairy creamer powder.

The tapioca balls must also be cooked correctly. Undercook them and they have this nasty hard core with an unpleasant texture. Over-cook them and they are mushy/slimy.

has the procedure exactly right, but it's all about low long they are kept in that hot water. The timing needs to be right otherwise they're unpleasant.

There's a boba tea shop here in town but they charge you an arm and leg. Don't help they're on the other side of town.

But there is a kickass Taiwanese restaurant open for lunch that offers you large boba tea on the house when you buy a lunch special. Plus they got like 30+ different fucking flavors, feels desu mang.

Best kind is Taro milk tea with tapioca pearls. Almost tastes like liquid cheesecake. It's delicious.