Genuinely Curious

How do you take your meatloaf?

Ketchup or gravy? What kind of meat? What sides?

In my family, meatloaf was usually half-beef half-turkey, baked in a dish with potatoes, carrots, and turkey or chicken gravy.

>Ketchup, baked on
>100% beef
>Side of green beans and mashed potatoes

>How do you take your meatloaf?
In the trash

Don't like meatloaf?

Out of all the things I've eaten I can only recall 3 that I absolutely hate. Meatloaf, Pine nuts, and Cilantro.

That's fine man. I don't like a lot of food desu.

...........Alright then. Sure, just auto correct things I type into 'desu'.

Ketchup cooked on the top (not in), 80-85% ground beef, sometimes with sauteed diced onion mixed in. Brown gravy optional, but goes great with mashed potatoes and some roasted carrots or brussel sprouts.

Stuffed with feta and olives.

Welcome to Veeky Forums senpai.

alone

Loaf shape or ring shape Veeky Forums?

Oh man I forgot about onions. We would put diced onions in as well. Also maybe eggs and breadcrumbs? Like how we made meatballs but. In a loaf.

Interesting. I've never heard of that before. Sounds good.

Thanks??

Can go with anything.
That's the beauty of meatloaf.
It's so versitile!

My mom always did onions and green peppers in it, along with some Worcestershire for flavor and a tablespoon of quick oats.

People make meatloaf in a ring??

Sounds good minus the peppers part. Mom likes them but I never aquired the taste.

Yeah, my mom almost never made it any other way. She said it made it cook more evenly. I think it doesn't really matter.

Yep! The biggest downside is too many breadcrumbs or too much egg. Don't use it as filler as some people seem so bent on doing. The crumbs help absorb some of the fat, the egg keeps it together, but you aren't making bread.

Also, sautee those onions before, then add some garlic for another 30-45 seconds before you throw it in the meat. Same great flavor and you don't risk undercooked onions which fucks up your texture.

Worcestershire is a GREAT suggestion, but I don't know how keen I'd be on the peppers. If I want extra veg I'll have it on the side.

I like it when it is made with Turkey, brown or turkey gravy, mash potatoes and either green beans or assorted steam veggies

> Ketchup or gravy?

Meatloaf and white bread sandwich with gravy on top

> What kind of meat?

Loaf

> What sides?

Mashed potatoes and corn

My meatloaf is always sirloin or lean ground beef.
Always have mushrooms, finely diced, and then coarse chopped onion, red bell pepper, garlic, celery. I always use fresh breadcrumbs, just whirl up in the processor, or grate over a grater, a couple heels of bread, leftover french bread whatever I have whole wheat or whatever, even pita. 1 egg. Salt/pepper.

I baste the top twice to ensure a thick glaze. I use Heinz chili sauce or I doctor up some ketchup with grandma's chili sauce recipe (she used to can it). I mix up in a small bowl, ketchup, asian chili paste sambal or red chili flakes, allspice (or cinnamon/cloves/ginger), mustard powder or dijon, worchestershire, brown sugar (about 1/3rd of the mixture). If I have the real chili sauce, I tend to add a bit of brown sugar, mustard and more allspice.

I clump my meatloaf on a sheet pan in an evenly thick slab. I want maximum crusty top and edges, so I pour over half of my baste, spreading around with the back of a spoon to get all over and down the sides. Sometimes I do individual meatloaves like big giant burgers, and I freeze some portions for an excellent meal later. I don't feel like I need gravy...the diced mushrooms hold juices and make even the leanest meat juicy. Just use a meat thermometer if you tend to overcook your own. I adore a mashed potato side with it, or a cold meatloaf sandwich the next day.

I use piakapeppa sauce.

I don't understand why people don't like green peppers. They're a pretty inoffensive vegetable. They're not spicy, they have a good savory/sweet flavor, they don't have a weird texture, what could possibly make people turn up their noses?

You lost me at mushrooms there bro, sorry

I dunno man. I just don't like bell peppers? I've tried them before and it just wasn't something I liked. Sometimes you just have food you don't like and there's not much reason for it.

Like flavors of jam other than grape. I love all the fruit that their made of, just not in jam form. I'll make jam of them though.

I like a beef/pork mix and I usually eat it with hot sauce and mustard.

I saw this shit at the store the other day and it looked so weird. look at all those ingredients. I went with melinda's instead. what's it taste like? would it be suitable for like, you know, chicken strips or wings?

Ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, and some cayanne pepper baked on

I don't know how you americans do it but here we usually go for a beef/pork mix, shallots, eggs, breadcrumbs, thyme, rosemary, parsley, butter and mustard. It's kinda bland but ok, average lower class dinner kinda thing.

about a pound and a half of beef, half pound of pork, couple eggs, salt and pepper, chopped onion, chopped green and red bell pepper, some breadcrumbs, touch of worcestershire

shitty chili sauce baked on top. I just mix some ketchup, splash of balsamic, ancho chili powder and either a dash of sriracha or cayenne.

oh, forgot I usually mix in a pinch or two of sage

Inside: spices, beef, panade, oyster and Worcester sauce, chili paste, bit of vinegar, onions, carrots, ketchup, maybe celery
On top: ketchup mixture

BBQ sauce baked on
>Ketchup or gravy?
Neither
>What kind of meat?
Ground beef with an egg mixed in
>What sides?
Mashed potatoes and green beans

I'm the other guy you responded to. I never said I don't like them, I just don't think I'd care for them in my meatloaf. Just let your hair down and accept that not everybody is going to like what you like, let's not pretend it's totally unbelievable.

1.5 lb 93/7 Ground Top Sirloin
0.5 lb Prime Ground Boston Butt
Homemade Whole Wheat Breadcrumbs
Finely Minced Carrot
Finely Diced Celery
Finely Diced Onion
Salt, Pepper, Worcestershire Sauce, dash of Cayenne to season

Cooked at 325 degrees Fahrenheit to an internal temp of 150 degrees, topped with ketchup heated in a saucepan and rested for 10 minutes.

It should be mostly ketchup with some brown sugar and just a splash of yellow mustard or apple cider vinegar. My god it makes my tongue tingle just thinking about it. I made meatloaf today incidentally and it's damn good, I slathered it in the sauce.

Picky eater manchild fuck.

its like a Jamaican A1 sauce

I use 70% lean ground beef, you need some fat or else the loaf shrinks. Add onion, Panko, egg, milk, mustard powder, salt and pepper, Worcestershire. Mix that shit up good. You gotta get your hands in on the action, like you're kneading Kim Kardashian's ass.

For the ketchup I add some Chipotle sauce, dijon mustard and give it a stir.

Bake it at 350 for 90 minutes. Serve with salad drenched in poppy seed dressing and some mashed taters. Better than sex, or I've just had lousy sex.

The best meatloaf I ever had came from a local restaurant called Cypress that was there for 80 years before they closed recently. So tender and beefy. You could get it with gravy, onions, and peppers, but I always left off the peppers because why would you get that with meatloaf?

Sigh. I miss them.

Damn that looks good.

It was. Not a trendy or upscale place at all, just somewhere that had been cranking out the same dishes for decades until the owners decided to retire. Good comfort food.

Wrapped in pork belly and they tomato paste baked on

Oats > breadcrumbs

With green peppers and bacon mixed in. I also use chili sauce instead of ketchup.

with mushroom sauce

What do you like on your leftover meatloaf sandwiches? I put some extra glaze and then pile on banana peppers

I TAKE MY MEATLOAF WITH WALNUTS COOKED IN AND JELLY ON-TOP.

With fried onions, potatoes and garlic, maybe some brown mustard or horseradish sauce on the side.