Can one of you flyover bro's school me on parsnips?

Can one of you flyover bro's school me on parsnips?

I'm a west coast bro, and I've never tasted parsnips. My mom or grandmother never used them, and I've never seen them until recently in my local grocery stores.

Before winter is over, I'd like to make one more beef stew, and I want to add parsnips instead of/ in addition to, carrots.

What do they taste like, and what do they add to a dish?

They taste pretty similar to carrots, albeit slightly richer.

They're great roasted. They go all chewy and wonderful.

This. Not much more to say.

they're like a cross between carrot and potato

my mom mashed them.

Here in Cali they are twice as much as carrots. Are you suggesting that I'm not missing anything if I skip them?

It wouldn't be a massive loss to never try one, but I'm sure you'll have a taste at one point or another. Hold faith, lad.

Suggesting that parsnips are particularly midwestern is stupid. And what kind of ghetto food desert do you live in to have not seen them before?

That being said, they're distinctly carrot-like, but the flavor is more complex. There's something reminiscent of warm spices like cinnamon and cloves.

Start saving money for a parsnip

I only had a parsnip one time, when I was very very young, and I recall hating it and my family never touching them again.

They're like a cross between a carrot, a spicy radish, and a dead fish.

So it burns your tongue, and tastes like dirt and ass at the same time.

I hear turnips are ok though

Try rutabagas instead, they're really cheap (almost as cheap as potatoes) and have a nice, mild, sweet flavor.

The idea of someone scraping together cash to buy a single parsnip is simultaneously depressing and amusing to me

They go nice roasted with potatoes and carrot

They're like a mix between a carrot and a water chestnut.

>Suggesting that parsnips are particularly midwestern is stupid.
This. They're very common in most Western European cooking.

Honestly, I had no idea they were even though of as Midwestern food. I think the only time I've ever heard of them in media was that skit in Chappelle's show that made them sound like fancy Yuppie food.

OP here. Sorry, but it's just not a popular west coast veg. I figured since it was a root veggie, it is undoubtedly more popular in flyoverland due to the fact that winter actually exists there. And this is a winter root vegetable, is it not?

My apologies to the flatlanders on Veeky Forums...

It takes a noble soul to admit one's root vegetable based transgressions.

I forgive you, son.

Nice dubs.

Thank you.

I kind of thought a Midwesterner's idea of vegetables includes only potatoes, onions, ketchup, and corn.

It's the 21st century. Regional and seasonal influences on produce availability aren't really a thing any more. If you had ever left the Fresno city limits you would know this is not a practical avenue for trolling.

Potatoes, parsnips, leeks, cabbage, and pork make an amazing winter stew.

>Fresno city limits

I got a kick out that one.

Regardless, I'm thought of by friends and family alike to be that one guy who can cook.

That said, I don't think it's quite as odd as you seem to believe that I've never been exposed to this veg until it showed up in my local SoCal grocery recently.

Was I aware that it existed? Yes. It's just not a food source that I am familiar with.

If you have a recipe, or a way to use parsnips to their best advantage, why don't you share it instead of belittling me for not knowing what the fuck this thing is?

nyc coo/ck/fag here. i see them constantly at the local supermarket, obviously year round because that and not farmer's market, of which i see them during the colder months.

imo the other anons are right in that they're essentially a potatoey carrot. mash em, roast em, stew, etc.

>take Turnips, Parsnips, Potatoes, and Carrots
>bake or mash them together
>comfy autumn side dish

Corn is a fruit.

I've never tasted them either. Which means they're nothing special. Not because I'm special, just because I'm not Brian Wilson.

>This is what Flyovers actually believe

It's in poor taste, if not criminal, to make chicken soup without putting parsnip in it. If you ever try growing them, harvest the leaves and dry them. They make a interesting substitute for celery leaf.

corn is a grain

>eat or handle parsnip leaves

No. They contain a toxic sap thet causes blistering similar to poison ivy. The root is fine, but don't fuck with the leaves, nitwit.

The blue circles represent the biggest flyover cities, right?

They're basically carrots minus the bitter core.

>Before winter is over, I'd like to make one more beef stew, and I want to add parsnips instead of/ in addition to, carrots.
They are indeed uniquely flavored, but within a soup, you'll probably describe them as something kind of inbetween a carrot flavor or a potato flavor. If you were to roast them (I recommend as best), or steam to mash them, they will indeed have a unique rich flavor, something earthier, but also sweet.

I did not grow up with them on the table, as far as something anyone in my family made, like ever. Sometimes I would suggest they have a flavor similar to turnips, but I would buy turnip greens anyday over turnips. Anyway, they were kind of the boutique item, like the more expensive mushrooms, and only made an appearance only near Thanksgiving. Today though? I often see them by the bag and not that much more than carrots. It's worth it to have a variety of foods that you enjoy, but if they are out of season or overpriced, nah. Compare the price per pound to squash, and potatoes, and see it how it measures up.

Roasting parsnips beets and sweet potato together in a pan with oil

justright.jpg

They taste a bit like a carrot. One poster said they lacked the bitter core. This is true. They are much sweeter than carrots. That is why I hate them.

What the fuck sorta parsnips are you mongoloids eating? Are you all just lying and repeating some shit some moron on the internet said. Even though you've never actually had a parsnip?

They taste nothing like carrots or potatoes. They taste slightly of tarragon, though, which is weird as I hate tarragon but love parsnips. The flavour of a cooked parsnip (never had one raw) is like a cross between a cooked turnip and a bit of tarragon with the texture of a carrot (or a stringy carrot if the parsnip is too old).

Parsnips are pretty common here.

Best roasted with a little brown sugar.

the only time ive heard of parsnips was a children's book i read in elementary school where one of the characters gets sick and almost dies when he mistakes a water hemlock for a parsnip.

>Suggesting that parsnips are particularly midwestern is stupid

I live in the midwest U.S. and have never seen a parsnip outside of Veeky Forums and Wikipedia.

To me they taste nutty and sweet. They're really good mashed with potatoes or roasted.

>I live in the midwest U.S. and have never seen a parsnip
How is chicago now? Still a warzone?

I think they're more of a northeast thing. We see them everywhere here. There isn't much variety of produce in the midwest, I should know, I've lived there. Vegetables are pretentious

>tfw you have a parsnip on layaway

I love using parsnips along with carrots and potatoes whenever I make a roast.

roasting them along with carrots, brussels, onions, etc is delicious. they're also great as a base veggie in pot roasts.

i went out tonight and had a parsnip agnolotti with braised leeks and butternut squash puree. fucking amazing.