What's the best chili recipe you know of?

What's the best chili recipe you know of?

Moroccan braised beef chili.

related question, has anyone here ever tried espresso in chili? random chick I've met swears by it (about 1 espresso cup per pot), but I don't have an espresso maker, and can't really try it out at home.

I've never heard of anyone using espresso specifically, but it is pretty common to hear about people putting coffee in chili. I can't imagine the results would be very different between the two given all the other flavors involved in the finished dish. Personally I don't care for how it tastes, but adding coffee is certainly a thing some people do.

thats the thing, this is the first time I've heard of ppl using coffee in tomato heavy dishes, and she swears by it, but with strong coffee aka espresso. all I can muster is good freshly ground beans coffee... guess it's time to make experimental chili...

Properly made chili should be heavy on the *chili peppers*, not so much the tomatoes. Chili is the name of the dish, after all. Hell, in Spanish it's "Chili con carne", aka "chili peppers with meat". The chilis should be the star of the dish, not just a little powder packet you add in. And that doesn't mean the chili has to be balls-on-fire hot. Many of the peppers used like Anchos, Poblanos, Guajillos, etc, are very mild in terms of "heat".

>>ground beans coffee
That should be fine. It's not as if a bunch of Texan/Mexican cowboys had access to an espresso machine anyway.

Chocolate and espresso together work nicely in chili. 70% cacao or higher ofc.

please, I don't use anything but straight cocoa powder for cooking. its way too sweet otherwise, all the pre-mixed stuff I mean

beans (critical)
meat
onion
tomatoes
foil mix of chili seasoning

You really have to play on the original idea. It was simply a brick of shredded beef mixed with various chilis and dried. It was rehydrated on the trail in a kettle with water. A good trail cook added what he thought the real men wanted, who by the way, drank craft beer brewed at every town they stopped in. They didn't drink fucking bud or miller.

>let the war of the bean begin.
what kind of beans?

Not that user but it should be an equal mix of dark and light kidney beans.

Why does your "chili" recipe contain no chili peppers? No, the "Foil mix" bullshit doesn't count.

A good beef. Ground or not, just has to be small biteable/spoonable pieces.
Some kind of chillis. Something with a little heat, but not crazy spicy.
A good dark beer to simmer it all in.
Veggies, usually just the standard onion-celery-carrots
Potatoes if you want
Good spices
Beans if you like, I like black or red
A small square of dark chocolate thrown in. Or cocoa powder
Simmered on low for a good couple hours until thick.

Eat with bread.

I use black beans only, or a mix of small white w red kidney. or spotted/kidney whenever I can get some

I don't follow a set recipe, but I do have some guidelines:
1) Chili peppers should be the star of the dish.
2) Variety = better flavor.
3) Use flavorful liquid, never water.

I've posted this before, but here goes again. Step one: peppers. Clockwise from top left: anaheim, guajillo, arbol, ancho, jalapeno, habanero.

Cut stems off the dried peppers.

Put the dry peppers in the blender jar. Add beer. Set aside to soak while we're doing the rest of the prep.

Two sirloin steaks here. Season 'em. When you're done, go light the grill.

Get a nice sear on the steaks & char the fresh peppers. Don't worry about cooking the steak through--we'll do that later. Just get the sear for the best flavor.

When done you should have something like this.

Chop up the peppers you just roasted. Discard stems.

Add them to the blender with the dried chilis and the beer.

Blend!

Cut the steaks into cubes.

Gather the rest of the meats. Variety, remember?

Bison, pork, and the stuff on the bottom is venison.

The rest of the ingredients. Onions, tomatoes, beer, and V8 vegetable juice.

Other good liquids are tomato juice, stock/broth, etc.

Brown the meat in the bottom of your pot. Remember, you want it BROWN, not grey. Brown = malliard reaction = flavor.

This photo makes it look a lot lighter in color than it really is thanks to the damn flash and the shiny inside of the pot.

Like the recipe. I'll try it with duck since I don't eat beef.

Once the meat is browned then add the onions. the moisture from the onions will deglaze the pot for you. Sweat about 10 min.

Add everything else. I also added some dry spices. Smoked paprika on the left, cumin on the right.

Low heat. Hours.

Some of this is dope. Adds another depth of flavor.

Done!

I use those a lot, but not in this particular batch. They are excellent!

Yee what you generally do is very similar to mine, though V8 scares me.

I kinda want to add something like some mole sauce to the next one I do.

>though V8 scares me.

Why? It's great for this. It contains a lot of tasty vegetable juices, it has a thicker texture than plain water, and it's salty so you don't need to add salt to the finished chili.

Anyway if you don't want to use it then use beef stock, tomato juice, etc.

Mole sauce would work well; after all there's a massive overlap between the ingredients in mole and chili anyway.

I don't know about chilli but it's best when served on top of boiling potatoes, chilli on top, cheese and then sour cream

never heard of this. looked up a recipe. gonna make it this week.

my lentil, pinto, split pea, sliced carrot, frozen green pea chili is the best chili on earth.

requires tomato paste, chili powder, curry powder, black pepper, ginger powder, garlic powder, and italian seasoning.

never thought of using v8.
this is based.

>chili

You mean casserole?

Wow, a whopping two anchos. Add about four more and use a nu-mex green chile instead of those anahiems. Add a passilla or two and about four New Mexico reds. Toast your own cumin seeds and grind them yourself, other than that it looks good.

>fake tomato, fake garlic and fake Italian seasoning
real chili uses real ingredients bro

>go to wendys
>get 12 orders of chili
>pass it off as your own

Skyline Chili of course.

>Skyline Chili
My nigger

looks tasty; will try it myself one of these days, thanks

Use whatever seasonings you want, but first slowly boil the ground beef to get a fine texture and use the rendered tallow to saute the other ingredients.

Hell yes!

That spaghetti bolognese with too much cheese

my aunt took it with her to the grave

Ausfag here, been casually cooking chilli for 2 years now.

>green beans
>red kidney
>some fuckin yellow bean
>ground beef or sometimes sausage
>garlic
>onion
>cumin
>cayenne pepper
>sultunas
>obviously diced tomatos and shit

pretty good tbqh though i want to add and try things. maybe open a chili stand during the winter months every year. Any advice/tips Veeky Forums?

Vegemite
(seriously)

i eat it every day... don't have time for that fancy crap.

>Clearly hasn't had Skyline Chili.
OK

i just try to keep it simple.

basically you Need beans, preferably Kidney, meat is optional (chili con carne) a tomato base, spices and vegetables is also optional. I like mine on white rice.

bland chili is the worst.

>cook all that in a wok with oil
- 400 gr of ground beef
- 1 onion
- 1 red pepper
- 2 or 3 garlic cloves

>add the spices:
- coriander: 2 tea spoons
- cumin : 1 tea spoon
- ginger : 1 tea spoon
- chili : 1 tea spoon
- paprika : 1 tea spoon
- oregano : 1 tea spoon

>add the sauce
- ketchup : 2 tablespoons
- maple syrup : 2 tablespoons
- mustard (Dijon) : 1 tablespoon
- red wine vinager : 1 tablespoon

>add tomatoes : 5 or 6, cut in mirepoix
>add beans and corn

>let it stew for at least an hour

thc a lot

>thc
thx

>beef
>chillies
>water
all you need for authentic chili

forgot to say you might want to get your tomatoes in cans since they have a lot of juice in them

>Wow, a whopping two anchos

Yeah, I agree with that. I normally use many more but I only had two left.

>>and about four New Mexico reds
I fucking love those, but my local market only stocks the greens. I've bitched about it but they still only stock green.

>>Toast your own cumin seeds and grind them yourself
I did. Surely you saw the mortar and pestle in one of the shots?

>bland chili is the worst.

I agree. So why does your recipe have no mention of chili peppers and talks about a "tomato base"?

God damn I'm hungry now

I use 3 as stables
>Pinto
>Kidney
>Black

I really want to bang out a 5 bean chili from hell, but really kinda stuck on the last 2

Fuck guys this thread is really making me want some chili. I didn't end up making any of my own this winter because it never really got cold enough to warrant it but at this point I don't give a fuck, I'm craving some damn chili.

DO YOU LIKE MY CHILI?

I consider these four acceptable in any combination or alone:

Dark red kidney
Light red kidney
Pinto
Negro

>Mgd and v8

My man. Because sometimes I want beer that isn't a meal, or a soft drink that is.

Recipe looks good so far.

Recipe poster here. I've played around with a lot of different beers, including some pretty fancy ones. Honestly there's no point in using anything super expensive or fancy on the beer front; when the chili is cooked you can't really tell the difference anyway. I normally grab either MGD, Tecate, or Ziegenbock. I used to use Shiner but it's gotten silly expensive in recent years so I stopped using that.

No beans in real chili. You add beans it becomes stew.

He's not missing anything. It's cinnamon-flavored, cafeteria-quality sloppy joe on top of overcooked noodles with a shovelful of cold, silica and cellulose coated, processed cheese.

Northerners need to stay the fuck away from chili if they are going to fuck it up so bad.

>powder made from real ingredients is not a real ingredient

>>powder made from real ingredients is not a real ingredient

Exactly. It's of such shitty quality it doesn't deserve to be considered "real".

>stew
>a dish of meat and vegetables cooked slowly in liquid in a closed dish or pan.
>beans are vegetables
You're a fucking mong.

Yeah, I chip my salt directly from the rock like a patrician.

Homestyle competitions require beans in Texas.

Texans know jack shit about chili in reality. Southern California is were the real deal is at.

>what are dried herbs

i hope you dont use pepper when you cook, faggot

>this is chicken nuggets
Stupid fucking chink can't even speak english.

THESE are chicken nuggets, you gook.

Not as good as fresh ones. The moment you dry an herb the chemicals which give it flavor start to evaporate. If you grind it the problem becomes even worse because of all the extra surface area. Fresh herbs and freshly-ground dry spices are always more flavorful than the equivalent shitmix from a packet.

Got any other easy questions for us?

I never asked a question, I made a statement.
Cretin.

jesus christ you're so far up your own ass i hope you choke and die

You clearly used the words "what are".

Raise your standards for ingredients and the foods you make will taste a lot better.

raise your ass away from your head

i bet you dont use frozen veggies either because you think only fresh is good enough

Depends entirely on the vegetable and whether or not they're in season. If the veggies are in season and look good when fresh I'll certainly buy the fresh ones.

But when they're not in season, or if they've had a long trip to the store then frozen is often better. Frozen veg is sort of like a guaranteed 8/10. Sometimes you can do better, but not always.

Why don't you want your food to taste better, user?

compare fresh and dried oregano and then come back and admit you're a fucking retard that doesnt know anything about this shit

Might have been implying "this dish is chicken nuggets."

recipe

this reminds me, does anyone else get irrationally angry if the cheese on their chili isn't ice cold?
I don't know where I get it from, but if the cheese is lukewarm I basically don't even want to pretend it exists.

I usually make my chili in a slow cooker while I'm at work. This is what I do (its really generic, but comes out great):
1.5 lbs ground beef (preferably 90/10)
1 pound ground lamb (or another of ground beef if you don't have lamb)
4 c garlic, grated
1 giant white onion or two medium ones

brown the meat in a pan with the garlic and onions in EVOO. Then drain about half the oil and dump the rest in the slow cooker.
Add and mix into the pot:
1 14.5 oz can black beans + 1 can red beans + 1 can lighter red beans (drain them well).
1 14.5 oz can of diced tomatoes (drain them well) + 1 14.5 oz can of tomato sauce. Sometimes I only use half the can of sauce if I feel like having it a bit drier.
1 red bell pepper cut into strips
2 big green jalapenos cut into rings
half of one of the smallest can of corn you can get. Should be about two tablespoons maybe.
2 tablespoons cumin
1 tablespoon cayenne powder
a few twists of salt and pepper

All my boys love it when I bring this to parties.

That looks awesome I have saved your recipie and can't wait to try it.
I was expecting a lot of sugar (assume you are American) and was relieved when you didn't.

Not actually browned. That's oxidized blood. For proof, take a look at your onions in .

Could use a moka pot. Not necessarily espresso but it's 30 bucks for something that'll outlast you by a couple of centuries

Fuck you.