Whats Veeky Forums's thoughts on Pho or Bun Bo Hue?

What are your thoughts on pho? I made my own last night and thats what I will be having for dinner. Its simple, but tough to get the seasonings right to make it taste like the restaurant. I used oxtails and beef bones and have some rare beef and tendon meatballs to go with it.

What Pho does Veeky Forums like?

PS: I made Bun bo hue the other night. Tastes ok but the shrimp paste really threw me off. I couldn't get over the fermented shrimp shell taste it gave to the soup.

i don't like it, i don't get the pho craze

my good friend doesn't like it either. He calls it "that noodle soup with leaves floating in it."

I liked it before hipsters caught onto it.

Now I won't eat it.

I don't get the point of making your own. It's the cheapest of the cheap meal you can possibly get where I live. The portion sizes are absurd for the prices.

It's still only mediocre, and I spent a month and a half traveling around Vietnam.

There really isnt a point. I like making it because its fun and i can make the broth richer than the restaurant with oxtails. But you are right its more convenient and cheaper to just eat at a restaurant unless you are planning on having pho for 6 meals in a row.

Do hipsters even exist anymore?

>I couldn't get over the fermented shrimp shell taste it gave to the soup.

Heh, yeah. If I go get bun bo hue for lunch I make sure I don't have afternoon meetings because I smell like an old shrimp trawler

>I don't get the point of making your own

Depends entirely on where you live. Where I live it's difficult to find, especially Bun bo Hue. And when you do find it its often of poor quality.

Why make it myself? Because otherwise I don't get any.

OFC if I lived in Vietnam or in an area with a lot of Viet immigrants then I'd just go get it at a restaurant.

had it recently, wasn't really a fan. too many flavors that don't belong in soup in my opinion. mostly the weird sweetish and sage-y stuff

also there was some weird mystery meat in there aside from the slices of beef

Tastes like dish soap thanks to the cilantro. To anyone telling me to get over it, eat shit.

I wish it were cheap, it's $9 minimum where I live.

It's alright, but I'd much rather get a bowl of ramen. All pho tastes the same to me. I live next to a Vietnamese enclave in socal and I've had various types of pho from different restaurants and they all taste the same to me. Just...beef in broth with some green onions and a splash of oyster sauce isn't the most amazing thing. Maybe a similar thing could be said about ramen, but somehow I doubt it.

>born with shit genes
Kek

Love beef pho! I always make a huge bowl for myself once a week, its a really tasty comfort food dish

Pho is my goto usually. Only problem is that there aren't any great pho resteraunt near me.

Vietnamese soups are the best Asian soups. Ramen is overrated, too salty, and appeals only to faggot weeaboos.

I never like Japanese ramen either, I don't get the hype surrounding them. Pho is honestly the best soup dish ever made though.

liked it until the flyover cows in places like Portland and Pittsburgh got to it

I had some on New York that just tasted like boiled steak water. I didn't eat any of it after the first taste it was disgusting and greasy. What's the big deal

Now, same street, had wicked ramen. I dream about that salty pork broth bullshit tonkotsu naruto desu

Get it without the cilantro, then.

I've never seen a place using cilantro anyway, they use a particular type of basil.

it's thai basil if you were interested

>I'm an elitist faggot