I am drunk and have decided to defrost my freezer...

I am drunk and have decided to defrost my freezer. I hacked at the ice with a spoon but only succeeded in bending the spoon.

I thought about throwing some boiling water in there but I will use a more subtle approach.

I lold

or you know just turn it off and keep drinking

I have some tape and a bag. There is only one setting knob so I can't turn the freezer off without spoiling my food so it will have to stay on.

>be me
>live in flat with a fucking 30 year old fridge
>defrost the freezer drawer
>be impatient and use a knife to hack ice off
>accidentally hit a small pipe under a cooling fin
>notice pfffffsssshhhhh sound and a weird smell
>all the coolant escapes
>fridge is ruined
>live in staff residence
>get new fridge for free
>its door opens to the left
>be fucked
>move out

Shit. I was laughing about how easy this was but now I realise I have to close the fridge door.

Help.

OK that was much easier than I thought it would be.

Rate my set-up. What can go wrong here? I don't think there is enough ice to even fill up enough to spill over the edge when melted. Maybe it will not melt because the freezer is still on? Either way there is a solid seal of tape all along the edge. I think I m good to go.

Unplug it, put all your fridge stuff in a cooler for the time being. When the frostbite starts to melt, whack at it with a rubber mallet, it will fall right off.

it's 2am. I don't have a cooler. And I don't have a rubber mallet. I might try again later on with a screwdriver.

this is a "cool" post

Having a freezer open while it's still on will just make your ice problem worse while at the same time burn through your electricity bill.
Clean your fridge out, live on takeouts & tv dinners for a while and defrost that thing properly

heat a knife in the microwave you dumbie

Word, just keep everything in the fridge, it will be insulated enough to keep cool unplugged for a little while. It won't take very long for the stuff to melt, after about 30mins you should be able to pry it off.

If you leave it plugged in, it might never melt.

the fridge started making a loud noise so I turned it down to minimum settings. the noise has stopped.

I made a sandwich as well and managed to avoid closing the fridge door on instinct. everything is good to go.

why will that make the ice worse? I don't think electricity is a problem. it's only a small fridge freezer.

I am using a hair drier for this tricky task. And a towel to catch the molten ice aka water!

but if you get rid of the ice what's going to keep your food cold?

you can change door swing on most fridges

How long until OP manages to electrocute himself?

Dude turn it off and keep the fridge door closed, it will stay cold inside and within 5 mins or so all the ice will fall of the sides of the freezer. I did the exact same thing, watching that big ceiling chunk fall down and shatter was great,

I once started chiseling the ice away with a knife and hammer and managed to cut a wire, and the fridge died

haha, here we go! a bit of meltwater had already appeared so I used a screwdriver to get the ball rolling.

I can't believe meltwater is a real word.

Fuck. This is why these things should not be attempted while drunk.

After getting a few big bits off with the screwdriver I got cocky and it turns out that the plastic bottom of the freezer is really thin. I made a hole in it trying to lever off the ice.

Where does that hole go? I'm going to have to buy a new fridge I think.

Trying throwing a bunch of salt on it.

just freeze a piece of silicone over it or gum it up with caulk

Just stop.

If you want to defrost your freezer you're gonna have to turn the whole unit off... The fridge will stay generally cool enough for 12 hours as long as you don't open it. Freezer should defrost with its door open in about 2 (at least enough to remove the ice easy). Wipe freezer dry and turn back on. Simple

This, use hairdryer,space heater, portable car heater

how much cold will escape through that hole?

I won't use the screwdriver again for a while. if I am still awake later on I will post an update.

Don't know why I even bothered. All I keep in there is an ice tray and a box to hold the ice, as evidenced by the two ice-free areas either side in the first pic.

Roughly seven colds per minute, judging by the way the hole looks in the photo, but I'd need exact diameter measurement to be sure.

it's basically the same size as the screwdriver head. what happens when water goes into that hole? it will just fester in the space beneath. I might have to repair it now I think.

I just probed the ice again with it and it is melting really fast apart from at the back where I assume the cold generator is located. I hope that melts by morning.

if you caulk it up with silicone it will probably be 40% more porous to heat transfer at that area, but being that size of a hole I wouldn't worry about it

seeing as I don't have any of that stuff. what would make a good stop-gap solution? all I have is tape.

I don't think the hole will be a problem when the ice is gone but if that hole lets water in overnight it could end badly. maybe the electrics are in there.

do you have duct tape?
if might not stick to it because of the cold/wet surface, but would be good if it did.

maybe just multiple dish towels, like roll one up and tie it so that it nests into the trough and then put on or two on top of it as larger rectangles so that it has more surface area that can soak it away from the hole

I can't even get close enough to the hole to cover it up yet. the ice around it is still solid so the cold generator has to be in that area.

I only have standard parcel tape type tape. I live next to a convenience store so I could buy some chewing gum or something to plug it until tomorrow.

hmmm, yeah might work... grape hubba bubba maybe

is there any slant to the interior or is it level? maybe if you got just a slight raise under the back legs it would help keep the water away

"cold generator" priceless!

Spray isopropyl alcohol on it, it will clean and defrost at the same time

kek

a hair dryer is great for this

Boiling water in a shallow pan/ bowl.
Replace when cold.
Repeat until melted.

holy shit. all the ice at the back just pulled off in one big piece!

now I don't need to worry about it melting into the hole...

Best thread we have had in a long time.
Is that fucked up?

...however the hole is bigger than I thought it was. and it looks like I nearly made two more holes with the screwdriver. if only I had been patient.

how will this hole affect it? at least I can sleep soundly now.

Time to clean and dry it then. A warm cloth should suffice in getting rid of any ice

as long as you waterproof it somehow it won't make a difference. Maybe layer down some parchment paper and then melt a candle over it to seal it on there/water proof it when it's all dry.
no one has to know

Saw that coming a mile away. Did you not read the post like 10 up about the dude who stabbed his fucking coolant pipe?

done and done. it came off in such a satisfying piece that there was hardly any residual ice. now clean and dry. I am melting the ice in the sink with hot water now.

>parchment paper
>caulk
>candles

nice shopping list for tomorrow. I had to google the first two.

no water can get in there so I think the only potential problem is cold escaping into the hole.

shit I googled the problem and all kinds of scary things came up about explosive gas. but no hissing gas is escaping from the hole so the cold pipes are not punctured. it seems like a pretty common thing when trying to chip away ice. my excuse is that I was drunk.

this kind of thing should seal the hole. I should be able to find something like this.

I can't find the video but Red Green has an excelent method.

You simply remove the door on your microwave and jam something in the safety mechanism to trick the microwave into thinking the door is closed. Then you just secure the microwave to your freezer using the handymans secret weapon and turn it on.

It is a safe effective and quick method that is guaranteed to work.

fuck me this shit is literally 15 times as expensive on amazon japan. I'll get someone to post me some from the UK.

anyway, let this thread be a warning to anyone who decides to defrost their freezer at 2am while drunk.

goodnight Veeky Forums.

OP here. thread survived. it is still working and ice cubes froze overnight. the whole fridge seems much colder now, maybe extra efficiency now the ice is gone. no loud noises so it isn't overworking.

that hole doesn't seem to be a problem for now but I will try to fix it next week.

How does removing a giant chunk of ice make things colder?

better cold permeability in the unit

Unplug the fridge and put a towel down in there, fucking moron.

>posting epoxy from the UK

dude just go to a 100yen store or a local DIY store, they definitely have them there.

Shut the fuck up

>make thread asking for advice
>proceed to ignore any advice given and do your own thing without knowing what you're doing
>surprised when shit goes wrong
why does this happen across the entirety of Veeky Forums

I get these holes all the time, there's an easy fix though. All you need to do is delete your refrigerator's system32

Why are people responding to this obnoxious retard? It's not even satisfying seeing him be an utter failure at life. Drunk or not he should be gassed

sorry that you feel excluded schmoopkins, if you try reeeeal hard and make a thread maybe someone will pay attention to you too :3
until then I hope your feefees get better

you're giving the OP a pretty frosty reception user.

Gardening trowel if you must chip it off. I work with an industrial walk-in freezer, and use a shovel to chip the ice off the floor when it forms, or to smash through sheets when the thing fucks up.
And a broom to take the frost off the ceiling.

put handful of kosher salt in it.
leaving enough salt will also prevent future ice, you just need to add a new handful every few months to compensate what's gonna leak

Fuck you