Can someone Redpill me on canned San Marzano Tomatoes?

San Marzano canned tomatoes are around 5 to 7 times more expensive than standard tomato brands in my country. Has anyone used these canned tomatoes to make marinara sauces for Pizza/Pasta? What were the results? Has anyone noticed any difference in taste between the cheaper brands and the premium San Marzanos?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/Uvgz2qQqYNQ?t=1001
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I just use ketchup?

Just plant tomatoes. I already have 40 plants and April hasn't started yet. Shit's going to be ridiculous here in a couple months when I end up with 150lbs from $1 worth of seed.
I don't even really like them that much.

And no those are just regular tomatoes with an eggplant shape and a California name price hike.

Canned tomatoes are cancerous as fuck. Don't eat those OP

Hello I also haven't tried them but I would like to post in this thread anyway just like the other Anons

I live in Melbourne. Not a great place to grow tomatoes. Not to mention water is expensive here.

haha that lampoon applies to the entire board, still pretty funny

They're really good. Really, really good.

Get a tank

Do you mean "San Marzano brand canned roma tomatoes" (your image), which is a uniquely American abomination?

Or actual DOP san marzano tomatoes?

Small backyard

>I pay for something that falls out of the sky

Lol

I think it's a desert there.
Americans literally have to buy water though.

Melbourne is semi arid.

Use contadina instead. Not pureed, not smashed, sauce

They're tomatoes with a perfect balance of acidic and sweetness, pureeing a can by itself makes a perfect tomato sauce.

>Doesn't season his food
Your food is crap

>No seasoning
Spot the white boi
Y'all niggas need some spice in yo life

san marzano tomatoes are a unique DOG product, the quality is unmatched due to the volcanic soil they are grown in and perfect conditions
having said that, a can of 'san marzano' style tomatoes grown literally anywhere else is just tomatoes, and even the 'protected product' is protected by fucking italians so its probably not even really from san marzano

i bet a dedicated enthusiast could acquire the proper organic material pretty cheaply, maybe even with a hydroponic set up. terroir is gaining a mythic quality but truthfully its all about the chemical make up of the soil and water, as well as the microorganisms living in it.

of course they also get a hell of a lot of sunshine in calabria

my apologies, san marzano is not in calabria, its in campania

Melbourne is a fucking wasteland that needs to be nuked still

did you start them in trays or cups?

seasoning is salt your dumb jigaboo

I bet I could grow better with wintered leaf fall, used coffee grounds and used tea though.
Plants are not very hard to figure out user.

better? maybe, probably even.
but could you match the taste? There are very specific things going on in the environment it grows in that directly relate to flavor.
think about oysters. can you raise oysters in a briney tank? absolutely. can you get them to taste great, with a proper mix of organic material and plankton? sure.
can you get them to taste exactly like duxburys?
i highly doubt it, but i'd love to see you try

elitist as you are, you can not deny homegrown is 10000x better than buying from market

MUH TERROIR

Kill yourself, scam artist, and stop trying to sell people on your stupid MUH GENOVESE BASIL MUH DOG TOMATOES

I despise all of your EU regional certifications because they're pseudoscience. How can a supposed atheistic, scientific people believe in voodoo shit and the spirit of your ancestors?

>muh microorganisms

You haven't cultured shit. You're a fucking pseud.

In Italy, they are the cheapest.

brilliant satire

Don't listen to these shills, listen to the experts
youtu.be/Uvgz2qQqYNQ?t=1001

Personally I think there is a noticeable difference between the varietals but not between it's country of origin so I don't buy the DOP brands unless they are cheaper

buddy i am right there with you, the crux of my post was the assertation that any 'san marzano' you buy in a can is likely just some fuckin roma's, but also that a tomato grown in the shadow of mt. Vesuvius truly has unique and measurable traits that we find desirable
give me a home grown roma from my neighbor over the pricey can any day, but give me nona's over all of it
see also, Hawaiian coffee, Jamaican coffee, good Colombian

i'm from connecticut
but go eat a fresh oyster from mystic and a fresh oyster from long island and tell me they taste the same

Why don't you tell that to people in Naples, I'm sure they've been making their pizza wrong for hundreds of years

I just bought a several jars from Italy on deep discount, honest really can't tell the difference from blanched, pealed and squished Roma's, or a decent organic like Muir Glen Roma's for a sauce. $.02 if serious question

All in one cup, mistake, I didn't know Chinese seeds had a 100% success rate so I only expected to be dividing this into four groups.
They're getting potted when I'm done being lazy.

This post is my third language fail in as many threads. Time to stop drink posting and walk the dog.

Kid, you should have left the room while they were painting it.

>San Marzano Tomatoes

First, they aren't "San Marzano" mater's unless they're certified as such from Italy. I'm not saying that to be a snob, I'm saying that because local faggots will try to sell there's for the same price as imported in order to Jew more shekels from you.

Second, there isn't a huge difference between them and any other canned mater' when it comes to making a marinara.

I've used the real deal, and tried some that weren't, and have had good results with both.

I've also used them in Indian curry dishes as well....good stuff.

>San Marzano canned tomatoes are around 5 to 7 times more expensive than standard tomato brands in my country.
They are probably the same price or 50% more expensive in my state, Florida. They used to be twice the price when I was a kid. When it comes to canning of tomatoes, nothing is ruined. What needs to happen is you compare these tomatoes to the other brands you can get locally. Quality varies by brand. Some brands like san marzano were very quickly moved from field to canning, and thus were picked at a very ripe state for maximum flavor, and minimal bitterness.
But, produce canning has come a long way in the past couple of decades, as had GMO modified produce that tastes better, has more durable peels, etc. There are two ways to remove skins, steaming off, and chemical removal. Cans should be plastic lined to prevent tinny tastes. Too much salt in your tomatoes and when your reduce your salt, it's too salty. Some brands counteract naturally ripe sweetness by adding actual sugar.

Just taste test. There are restaurants like to promote that they are using only the real thing San Marzanos, but I've had local tomatoes I've found absolutely delicious. It's also easier to get low sodium that way as well. If you are only making sauce? Buy crushed in puree, which were tomatoes so ripe they can fall apart, versus trying to keep those things whole in the can for you (less ripe).

*theirs