Quinoa

Is quinoa a good substitute for white rice?

I do like the flavor, but it's expensive as shit here. Why would you substitute white rice?

Is cauliflower rice any good?

I would rather have more fiber and protein than just straight carbs.

Millet is a better substitute, it's more rice-like but actually tastes better, it's affordable (at least here in Europe) and much more nutritious. Millet is quite sticky by nature so it's good if you want to substitute sticky rice. Millet kind of smells like cum when you cook it, but not when it's cooked, at least that's my experience

It's a good substitute for everything. It's a complete protein, lots of fibre, has some healthy fats, if it didn't cost so much it'd be the perfect food.

Try buckwheat if you're in it for the nutrition, there are some higher protein varieties (14% by mass) However generally legumes are the superior source of fiber and protein among staple plants, compared to grasses.

if you like it. i don't

Instructions for cooking quinoa:

Bring 2 cups of water to a rapid boil.
Remove from heat.
Measure out 2 cups of quinoa and add it to the water.
Cover. Let stand for 5 minutes.
Then add the whole pot to the garbage can, cover, and leave it out for the garbage man.

Is it cheaper than quinoa?

It's normally cooked with a 2:1 liquid to quinoa ratio, and simmered for at least 10 minutes.

What size pot?

what are 2 cups in yuropoor sizes?

Buckwheat is poor people food in a lot of places. Not sure if Veeky Forums or hipster types are driving up the cost vs supply in the states though. Check out buckwheat noodles next time you're near an Asian market.

carbs are too high for ketofags.

only works as a rice sub for some purposes

>quinoa and beans? great
>pepper steak and sauce poured over quinoa? not so much

my fav use is on salads

tastes better than rice, so yes. also protein.

..just 2:1 any measurement you autist

in europe you can get it for about 3 eur/kg (grain or flour). not super cheap but not terribly expensive either

> substitute for white rice
Basically anything that is whole grain and unprocessed.. so, brown rice would be a good start

>Quinoa
Quinoa is a complete protein

Cook with broth for extra flavor good for Tabbouleh and other salads, vegetarian chili, veggie burgers, tacos, hot cereal if you are into it

>Quinoa is a complete protein
everything is a complete protein

Why is is pronounced "keen-waah"? Are mexicans secretly asians? I'd think it would be pronounced "kin-oh-ah".

just shy of 500ml

>I would rather have more fiber and protein than just straight carbs.

You get that from the dishes you eat the rice with.

Both are accepted pronunciations.

no

it's fantastic

this she is expensive. can i grow my own?

Not really no. I'm not hating on it, quinoa is great for certain dishes; but it's no substitute for white rice by a large margin.

No, not really. It's a great replacement for couscous in tabbouleh, though.

It's a meme, just like most healthy variants/substitutions for anything. It doesn't taste like white rice nor does it have its texture but it's a worth a try. Just be aware of this going in.

GRINGOS DE MIERDA RRRRRREEEEEEEEE

QUINOA USED TO BE WORTH HALF A PAPA BUT NOW BECAUSE THEY CAN SELL IT TO BOURGEOISIE GRINGO AT HOLE FOODS QUINOA IS WORTH OVER 10 PAPAS AND I CAN NOT FEED MY KIDS

GRINGOS LEAVE MY GRAIN ALONE RRRRRREEEEEEEEE

Don't forget to rinse quinoa well before cooking or it will taste bitter and soapy.

>"keen-waah"
That's some hipster bullshit pronunciation. The pronunciation is more like "kee no ah" or "kee no wa".

>Replacement for couscous
>couscous

couscous is already a replacement; Tabouleh is made with bulgar

the concept of nutrition is fucking bullshit. you can live for years on fucking sawdust and glue.

Welcome to the USA, those are just the chemicals, be a good goy and eat them even if they taste like poison, your body is lying, you have to eat them to survive!

oy vey that was a close one