Wine thread

hey senpai.
does anyone have any helpful insight to wines?

my mother has requested (for mother's day) that i make her some chicken piccata. it's a really strong lemon caper flavor. i was going to serve it with garlic mashed potatoes and a wine.

what wines would compliment that strong lemony flavor?

this is the recipe i'll be following for the chicken
youtu.be/e0CoVPJz2H8

also general wine thread

Moscato

Sauv blanc has good acidity and citrus notes, so it could stand up to a dish like that. If you anted a little contrast you could do a chardonnay. If red is more her speed Pinot noir is a classic pairing with chicken, and should be able to stand up to the lemon.

Pinot Noir is the most romantic of wines, with so voluptuous a perfume, so sweet an edge, and so powerful a punch that, like falling in love, they make the blood run hot and the soul wax embarrassingly poetic.

Really good Burgundy is like that, but also staggeringly expensive. I think Pinot is popular right now because somms recommend it when a table wants to split a bottle and everyone's ordered different things. It stands the best shot of pairing at least OK with random orders. But you have to watch it, because it's popularity has assured there's a sea of bad, cheap Pinots out there.

A sweet white would be good, moscato or pinot grigio, you don't want something with a lot of acidity

an oaky chardonnay

Or Riesling

A decent California chard (cue: but there IS no decent California chard). Something from like Heitz or Grgich Hills would be pretty much ideal.

If you're not feeling like spending money on that you could get a Muga white rioja, they're pretty good bang for buck. Or a E Guigal white Cotes du Rhone
>avoiding acidity
>dish with lemon and capers
Don't listen to this
>riesling
>not a lot of acidity
Stop drinking shit quality riesling

I am wet

I don't drink riesling, it's like the kool-aid of wines. However it is sweet and would likely pair well with OP's dish strictly from the perspective of flavor profile.

> it's like the kool-aid of wines
Because you drink shit-tier riesling
>However it is sweet
Except when it's dry
>strictly from the perspective of flavor profile.
I don't think you understand what you're saying

Horrible recipe. Cayenne? Yea no. Don't use extra virgin? WTF, always use the best olive oil when cooking italian. Water to the pan? Why not LS chicken stock or pasta water instead. Typically served over rice?? No it's not. It's typically served as a meat dish with a vegetable, and pasta is an extra course. All this advice in this video is from an idiot chef.

OP, unless she has specifically requested the garlic mash, I would stick to nothing jazzed up, but a more bland angel hair or even a fresh fettuccine pasta to soak up that delicious flavor of fresh buttery lemon. If you want something different, I sometimes like to pair my piccata with De Boles artichoke pasta. It kind of went with the briny capers like that. Some crisp tender haricot vert with garlic are nice on the side too. Or some roasted mushrooms, peppers and broccoli from the oven. Make a lovely garlic roll or bread. Mother's Day effort might be to roll out some knots to hit with some garlic butter.

If you are cooking for a crowd, you can keep batches of chicken warm, or else squeeze them in there by doing cutlets instead of the pounding. Cooking in batches gets you a nice fond to deglaze, don't be afraid to just keep some breasts warm while you brown other ones.

You want an oaky or a dry white. Can't go wrong with some pinot grigio that states "oak" on the label somewhere, like a Santa Margherita. Ask mom if she likes sweet or dry wine, for what to serve with the meal, but cook with the dry.

wat

hmm you sound like you prepare this dish on the reg which is p neat senpai

i don't understand how you're framing it though. should i serve 3 things on the dish?
- chicken picockock
- light pasta for flavor absorbtion
- 'vegetable'

i'm picky as fuck, judge me
mushrooms and peppers are gross
but i would love to put in some roasted veggies. maybe brocc, carrot, asparagus, and potato? how should i season it to compliment dat lemon?

also, she'd like sweet wine i feel

a pear cider, made from 100% pears

dumbass, extra virgin is bad for frying. not only does it end up smelling and tasting like burned extra virgin olive oil, it's also extremely unhealthy

>riesling ... it is sweet

Always nice to see an expert around here.

It's pasta you banana.

Shiraz, the chuggin mans wine.

>mushrooms and peppers are gross
manchild

Muscadet, Sèvre et Maine sur Lie.

As said, Sauvignon blanc might be a good idea too. Disregard red wines, unless it's an extremly sweet one with close to none tannin it will taste horrible, and that's coming from a french.

>drinking wine with chicken

plebs

>drinking red wine on a dish with citrus

nigga what

>I don't know what a grape is

Australia was a mistake