/beer/

What'll it be, Veeky Forums?

>double brownie stout

Hit me the fuck up

>2 sours
It's like 100% more than any "nice" beer bar I've ever been too ! Probably get that Mraz if it's a little chilly out, Track 7 if warm.

>It's an American beer thread

Well, thank goodness you're European then, you'll already have a good cheese to pair with that fucking whine of yours

>It's an American "humour" reply

swanny d thanks mate

lmao at Euros thinking their beer can compete with america's. Anyone who's spent time on both continents knows this.

For me, it's Miller Lite.

>all beers that are not hoppy are malty
>all beers that are not malty are hoppy

Jesus christ, this is why we label beer by styles, so that you can post a beer without a fucking series of gradated charts. Do your really need to tell people that Allagash White is "pale" and "malty"?

>american style macro lager brewed in australia

I shutter just thinking about how bad that must be.

It's true, we do enjoy a refreshing corona on a warm day.

OP here.

Naturally I started with a Pliny.

Then I had the double brownie stout on nitro. Surprisingly good; I forgot chocolate could taste so good.

OBSESSED
B
S
E
S
S
E
D

Firestone DBA

>this is why we label beer by styles

Not everything conforms to a style these days.

I'd try that What up Bro.

But every beer is judged by a style. That's why you hear beers called things like "hoppy pilsner"

mb

O B E S E D
B
E
S
E
D

berrylicious please

>yurosimpletons can't even spell correctly when they are compelled to imitate their superiors

>hoppy pilsner

That's why they show the style and the hop/malt profile.

I'm not European you fat Shart.

If you aren't European or American you literally don't matter

but pilsners are supposed to be hoppy

Loomis basin, my good man!

God damn, I love pale ale.

Tell that to the chinks.

I think you two have had enough to drink.

Calm down or you'll be barred!

Just a water please.

I'll have a Keystone Light please

I hate RP threads.

anyway, holy shit, Pliny the Elder is a rare beer right?

>Go to Chili's with a friend
>The server pours me a bear with no head
>Sticks a straw in it

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm..................

>Europoors can't into banter

Traditional pilsners are a bit hoppy but if I saw a beer described as a "hoppy pilsner" I'd assume they were using those meme hops like citra or mosaic.

The bitterest, hoppiest, most pretentious IPA you have.

they should call it an american pilsner then

>pours me a bear

i'd pay good money to see how this works

your sour, whiskey barrel-aged smoked double kale IPA, sir?

They already know. Why do you think they try to mimic our culture?

Pliny is 100 IBU and people line up for hours to get a taste of it, but it's probably too good for you.

It didn't taste that bitter to me. It just tasted like normal beer. Very good beer but still just normal beer.

Then again I went there after drinking wine for 8 hours in Sonoma so maybe my palate was shot.

It doesn't taste bitter because it's a double IPA, meaning it has extra malts that balance out the hops.

Yes, you can load a beer up with hops and it doesn't have to taste "bitter" like the anti-IPA children on this board seem to believe. The Plinys are so highly rated because they are benchmarks for what a balanced IPA tastes like.

Yes, I realize that, but you said it's 100 IBU as if that's supposed to be like CRAZY MAAAAN

Also I'm "the anti-IPA children", I got banned for saying 20somethings like DIPA. Sorry that I didn't fit the stereotype of someone who doesn't actually drink, think about, or enjoy beer

>you said it's 100 IBU as if that's supposed to be like CRAZY MAAAAN

No, you just read that into it. I only pointed out the IBUs because they are higher than anything else on the board.

I had a 140 IBU triple the other night that wasn't overly bitter either, but left an oily, resinous coating in your mouth after each sip.

>No, you just read that into it
Yeah, I read into it because you replied directly to a guy who said "the bitterest, most pretentious IPA you have" and specifically stated the IBU as opposed to just saying "technically Pliny has the highest IBU but it's probably too good for you"

None of those beers are "bitter" because they are all balanced and fresh, so the closed thing is IBU's. The user wanted the most pretentious IPA and I gave both a pretentious reply and named Pliny, which is the correct answer.

Happy?

Why is so much of craft brew culture so obnoxious? Is that what they have to do to stand out to their typical consumer base?

Correct. The average 20something is cynical and stuff made by big sophisticated corporations is evil and bad. So the breweries adopt an intentionally juvenile brand identity based on swear words and dragons. You know something a "regular normal guy" would come up with. A fellow "bro". In this way they avoid triggering the suspicions of their very easily TRIGGERED consumer base, that could destroy the company.

No television advertising, no print advertising. That would be brand suicide. Swear words, dragons, and high IBUs.

in before banned from all boards again

>meme hops like citra or mosaic.
Does 'meme' mean 'delicious' now? I think you are using that term incorrectly

>Intentionally ignoring trends in the craft beer world just because you don't like the term "meme" being used to describe something other than an image with text

What about that image is "obnoxious"?

I'm beginning to think this is more and more true. It saddens me. Someone once told me they would never buy a particular craft beer again because the brewery was bought by INBEV. Doesn't matter that the brewery is still where it was, brewing the exact same way they did before, and I think the previous owners who built it are still there, but if not: either out making another or spending like douches.

Yeah, the point is citra and mosaic are delicious, not just a shitty trend as the term 'meme' connotates, and anyone saying negative things about them is fucking weird

The fuck percent of craft beer brands market around swear words and/or dragons? 5% maybe? You have a really odd perception of the world

Maybe it matters to them who is making money off of their purchases? Personally I'm willing to purchase any beeer if I suspect it to be good and it is acceptably priced but I totally understand people not wanting their profits to go to Brazilian run megaconglomerate Inbev rather than a small local business. You see similar stuff in pretty much every industry, just look at all the people going to farmers markets and shit

The names are not as obnoxious as some, but they're still obnoxious. This made me think of the more obnoxious names and labels.

That's possible, but if they're still supporting the local brewery which still exists and hasn't even made any changes in operations, then completely pulling patronage makes you worse than the company that bought the brewery, I would think.

To be fair, craft breweries cannot afford marketing departments, its usually just some guy giving them names, usually the guy is the actual owner of the brewery or his wife with no background in marketing so you don't see stuff like you are used to from large businesses with focus groups and teams of people working on it

It doesn't have to be an excellent name to not be obnoxious.

>That's possible, but if they're still supporting the local brewery which still exists and hasn't even made any changes in operations
Sure, but in any case there are other breweries that are both operated locally and owned locally. It a decision born of the luxury of having a lot of choices such as any American does now, you don't have to patronize business owned by shit you don't like, just like you can easily choose against breweries with dragon advertising or anything else that bothers you

If I had to pick one I'd go with the ARBC Fire Break, mostly because when I get a drink with dinner I go for interesting flavors. Otherwise I just drink to get drunk

>i'd like a sample of each of those

I didn't say you can't make that decision, now, did I?

You miss the point. Most people naming craft beer don't give a shit if the name is obnoxious because they have not taken classes in not offending people and attracting customers with branding. They literally do not know what they are doing with marketing and few have the budget to hire someone who does, and thats ok because who gives a shit what a beer is called as long as it tastes good

>if you don't think dragons and swear words is EPIC it means you're a triggered SJW
Trump voters are weird

All the names have a similar obnoxiousness to them. And your line of argument makes me think you are aware of this and are intentionally trying to avoid it by feigning ignorance.

No, but you say that decision makes you a bad person, which is rather silly. Why not spend your money on the small local dude who aligns with your values if he is offering similar quality and pricing rather than giving it to a foreign corporation that doesn't give a shit about your city? How does that possibly make you bad?

Kind of a stretch from what I said

>50 local employees yesterday
>50 local employees today
>only difference is the corporation's official structure is now registered to a PO box in Bermuda
>wow fuck those 50 people! they should get a real job instead of working for the man, MAAAAAN

>All the names have a similar obnoxiousness to them
No they don't. This is an absurd statement, there are many thousand breweries in the country each with different naming schemes. They are all over the place, some are obnoxious, most are not, a lot of them are dumb without being obnoxious, some are obnoxious but still cool. Its just such a silly thing to get offended by, and you are greatly exaggerating the extent

I did not say it makes you a bad person. I said I would think it makes you worse than the company which is trying to support the industry and act respectfully toward the industry and the local economy.
It is silly to suggest that someone says things they did not.
Are saying that a company which does that is bad? Do you believe they are bad for some other reason? I am guessing that you agree with the decision, but can't or are unwilling to explain why.

>not just a shitty trend as the term 'meme' connotates

Not only are you missing the colloquialism that the term "meme" most often connotes, but you are missing the formal definition of "meme" itself. Good job.

No, the difference is that your profits are going to their foreign shareholders instead of staying local. There is much more to a business than how many people they employ at one point in time. Even if nothing else the owner of a local brewery lives in town and will likely spend a much higher percentage of his profits locally as a result (not to mention his likelihood of investing it back in the business for more local growth, while when the big guys buy you its so they can make beer with your branding elsewhere)

Again, I don't particularly have a problem with buying beer from a big company if its good. I'll still buy founders, and occasionally Lagunitas or Ballast Point, I've even bought Leinenkugel on occasion when the selection was really bad, but I definitely would be less enthusiastic about a local brewery if they were bought up by a foreign corporation, and would be unlikely to buy as much from them consider the very strong local competition.

jesus christ beer threads on this board are unbearable

>resisting the siren song of neoliberalism
What are you, some kinda communist?

I believe Inbev is bad for American beer drinkers, they spend a lot of money lobbying governments for anti-competitive drinking laws, and even more money messing around in beer distribution (an industry that is the result of shitty federal regulations).
But I would still buy beer they owned if it were the best option, but thats rarely the case

I'm more or less a libertarian. Note my whole discussion is value to you being equal, go local. If the foreign company offers you better value with lower prices and higher quality, then its completely reasonable to buy that. I think economic protectionism in general is fucking shitty for everyone involved, your local area is not benefiting if you buy stuff local just for the sake of being local losing any comparative advantage that different regions can offer

I agree. But then I dislike a lot of the craft culture. It reminds me a lot of the worst parts of Reddit memes and Veeky Forums manchildness mixed with pot culture.

Fair enough. That makes more sense than what I could think of on my own.
I mean, pic related nails it, but it is all over. Don't get me wrong, I love craft beer.

I agree. But then I dislike a lot of the craft culture. It reminds me a lot of the worst parts of Reddit memes and Veeky Forums manchildness mixed with pot culture. I mean, pic related nails it, but it is all over. Don't get me wrong, I love craft beer.

Fair enough. That makes more sense than what I could think of on my own.

love from lancaster, pa
[spoiler]its milk beer[/spoiler]

>pic related nails it
>doesn't post pic
What did he mean by this?

I would get a pliny for the novelty. only place near me that serves it is monk cafe and it is almost an hour away

one of the better Irish reds I've had

g-go puckers...

That I can't post properly for some reason.
add the picture from to the unscrewed cut from a reply in this one

All I want is you user

Anything chocolate stout-ish

d-don't be such a faggot user-kun, baka!

Most places with over 10 taps usually have at least a couple sours these days.

I'd probably start with Sierra Nevada then move onto the sour stuff, great selection though, I love the taste guides as well.

red horse

How about a beer?

Not just that but Goose Island (I assume we're talking about Goose Island) gets all the financial, accounting, talent access, tax advice, and technical support associated with a multinational, but by all accounts is given full creative license on beer brewing. And most of us who are not NEET are likely now shareholders in, essentially, Goose Island. A privately floated company only gets super rich assholes as shareholders. But a company like InBev, we can all play the game.

But angry 20somethings don't see those as good things. They think: globalization bad, if even ONE dirty foreigner benefits from MURICA it means the proud white race is under attack, build wall, MAGA.

So a perfectly good portfolio of beers gets dismissed as piss swill because the PO box of the holding company is now in a place I haven't been to because I don't have a passport

This looks lovely

thats a great way to help out the bartenders from having to explain to those who don't know what those beers taste like. i want all my local bars to start doing that desu

allagash white please

Pliny the elder isnt that hard to find, atleast in northern CA where im assuming op is
Pliny the younger is rare and almost never on tap outside of februaru

that voodoo ranger looks good as hell