Veeky Forums I am poor as shit and basically live on

Veeky Forums I am poor as shit and basically live on

>Oatmeal
>Soup
>Rice+Beans

When I have money I buy meat for the soup for protein or whey or whatever really. Basically though I wanted some ideas on how to spice my 3 basic meals. Normally I use cinnamon on my oatmeal, salt and onion powder and garlic powder for the soup, and soy sauce for the rice and beans. They all taste divine but I want variety you know? Different flavours on the same basic meals.

Any tips?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=P1C-JwJ5mww
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Lentils. Sardines and other canned seafoods. Livers. Eggs.

lemon ginger(fresh) garlic(fresh) fish sauce

you could probably use that combo on all 3 meals.

For liver, this is a good recipe:
youtube.com/watch?v=P1C-JwJ5mww

Box of raisins for the oatmeal, use a small handful. Or peanut butter just swirl in a tbsp or so. Tiny bit of brown sugar if you want. Look into overnight oats to make nice packages meals out of it.

fresh produce is worth its' weight in gold both for what it does for you nutritionally and what it does for the flavor of the meal

Mustard
Vinegar
Have you tried these?

Also you can just pour breadcrumbs into your soup and on your beans instead of rice, for variety. Extremely cheap calories and doesn't taste too bad, I do this
I also cut a raw onion into my beans every single day. Now I hope onions aren't too expensive
Tomato paste always works

For cheap protein in the oatmeal I do recommend soy flakes (steamed and rolled soy beans). Unless you are scared of soy like your average millennial

Since you can afford cinnamon and onion powder, you could also buy some rosemary for example. Instead of soy sauce, go for Maggi Würze? Lots of options all around

Almost forgot horseradish sauce

Oatmeal is soup, you redundant fuck.

for the beans buy a smoked turkey neck or ham hock to throw in.

cheaper cuts of meat have more conective tissue, but if cooked long enough they will almost melt in your mouth.
pork shoulder
chuck roast

1/2
I hope you're making your beans from scratch user. In my south Texas town, pinto beans are about $1/lb. Buy 3lb of beans. Add a package of bacon, a white onion, and a bag of fresh jalapenos for another $7. Cook and chop the bacon. Throw the entire mess in an 8Qt pot with salt and slow cook in the oven at 210F for 8 hours. I'll freezer bag 3/4 of it and enjoy a smaller pot of fresh bean soup in the fridge for a few days. A month of healthy fiber and vegan protein for a tenner can't be beat. I used to eat canned beans all the time but they're kinda pricey now. I know that's not what you asked but it was a huge money saver.

When I lived in the barracks and had very little room to cook and only one plug-in electric burner my nightly meal was often jasmine rice with Sriracha. The rice perfume is delicious, and you'll get a good sweat. Copious amounts of booze and ice cold nuka cola made it special. If Sriracha is too expensive, try Valentina black label mexican hot sauce. A huge glass bottle is like $2, it goes well with rice or eggs and it is kinda healthy. It is absolutely necessary in pic related.

If you have some extra cash for beef, learn to do pot roasts. A 2lb chuck roast is usually around $5 and will last you 2-3 days eaten with rice, depending on how much you lift. Brown both sides, remove and set aside, pour a splash of beer/wine/whisky in pot and scrape meat bits from the bottom, gently place meat inside and pour water until beef is almost submerged. Cover. Cook on 2/10 for 4 hours, turn halfway through. Remove meat, drop in half a stick of butter, turn heat to 11/10 and stir the liquid until it is a brown sauce (~1/2" deep). Worcestershire sauce is great on this.

2/2
OATMEAL. I know it seems like a lot of trouble but get some yogurt and blueberries and strawberries. Quarter the strawberries. Get plastic/silicon containers or use paper cups/saran wrap. Pour 1 cup of oatmeal into container, cover with strawberries and blueberries. Put in freezer. Morning of: take one out, add water, microwave, pour a yogurt over the top. Stir. It's fucking delicious and good for you. A navy buddy of mine used to do this. He also used to taste test a lot of dick.

If you can find it where you live, try collard greens with chicken and rice. Wash, devein, chop, then wilt them in a pot. When they're cooked, remove from pot and cook your rice in the potlikker. It's tremendously healthy.

Also: bone broth. Make it. Take beef bones, put in a pot (pref cast iron). Add water. Put in the oven on low heat for 8-12 hours. Remove bones. Use your beef stock for everything, or drink it straight. Can also be done with chicken bones but, like fish bones, I think that's kinda gross.

I hope this helped one of you, or at least you get to eat better user.

You can afford 3 meals a day?
After you, my liege.

Adding to this, a mirepoix goes perfectly with this pot roast recipe. Diced carrots/parsnips, onion, celery, in order of importance. Add the veggies when you turn the meat so they aren't completely soggy.

Also, I guess it sounds like you need a lot of equipment but you really don't. I have one 3.5Qt enameled cast iron pot that I use for EVERYTHING. They're relatively cheap now, and super durable. Larger stainless steel stock pots for cooking in freezer quantities are available for cheap just about everywhere. A larger cast iron pot or deep dutch oven can be kind of expensive, but they're a source of nutritional iron and an heirloom/essential equipment for post-apoc habbenings. Stay frosty user, and don't forget to plant some crops.

Three words. Chicken hearts curry.

The hell? It's fucking not.

find a butcher with cheap chicken, buy them whole, google how to break down breasts and legs
5$= 2breasts, 2legs, chickensoup from the carcass,cold salad from the meat you can pick from the carcass
im not poor so im not sure if this is above your budget already, but if you add some carrots,a bunch of celery and spices youll be at 6large meals or smth for less than 10$,+ leftover broth for flavouring beans etc.
you can also just pick evth of the carcass,add vegetables and rice and make a stewy soup, which tastes great with nothing but black bepper and salt

Everything is better with fried onions. Even better, fried shallots.

This guy knows.

Use fresh onions, bell peppers, celery, and garlic to make Cajun-style red beans and rice. Believe it or not, in the long run, they're better and cheaper than onion or garlic powder.
Why? Unlike onion powder or garlic powder, they're actually part of your meal (in the sense that they have nutrients, calories, and you can actually bite them and chew them, and they don't just magically disappear into the bean/soup water). And they're also cheaper per pound.
By the way, you could try making bean & mixed vegetable soup. You should eat dark green leafy vegetables (like kale, spinach, or chards) at least once in a while to get your healthy dose of Vitamin A, E, and K.

You should sautée your onions before adding them to your beans (or adding beans to your pot). Otherwise, they'll just turn into inedible, goopy shit. If you're a true poorfag, you'll want to be able to eat every single food item you spend money on.

Poorfag here

Oatmeal is GOAT

Substitute rice+beans for nasi goreng. Buy spices in bulk and grind them yourself

Literally how
Pork and Chicken is under 2$/lb where I am. I can buy a fucking week's worth of pork for 10$ and just throw it in a crockpot.

I can see people complain about not being able to afford beef, but holy crap is pork/chicken cheap as fuck in bulk.

>soups
Splitpea + ham is your friend.