Do you ever eat patty melts, Veeky Forums...

Do you ever eat patty melts, Veeky Forums? I haven't had one in years but had random cravings for swiss cheese and onions the other day

That looks quite good famalamadingdong.

Why are you Americans so adamant about your grilled cheese / melt differentiation btw? Grilled cheese is a misnomer to begin with since it's not the cheese being grilled but the toast and the cheese is incidentally being melted. (Though one might argue the toast is toasted in a pan and not grilled either.)

So why grilled cheese + whatever = melt and why grilled cheese to begin with?

You are mistaken. It is not a "grilled cheese" sandwich. It is a grilled "cheese sandwich." The name makes perfect sense

Point taken.
Still my main point was about the grilled cheese / melt thing.

A grilled cheese sandwich is one that features no meat, and becomes a melt as soon as you introduce meat.

I make all my grilled cheeses in a skillet and add meat.

definitely gonna make this later was wondering what to do with the last slices of swiss.

I know the difference. I just question the point. Adding shit to a warm cheese sandwich is not some radical new thing.

So what do you suppose we do? Do we call a patty melt a "Grilled cheese with patty"? Or do we go the other way and a call a grilled cheese a "cheese melt"?

As soon as I get $80 to blow for no raisin at all

Soon....

It's whichever sounds best linguistically.

That's why a hot sandwich with just cheese is a "Grilled cheese" but a hot sandwich with tuna salad is a "Tuna melt"... but restaurants offer "Grilled Ham n Cheese" as an option, because "Ham Melt" sounds like a Amy Schumer netflix special.

pathetic toast job

Is that a cum sammich?

I'm not sure about that. A ungrilled "ham and cheese sandwich" is already a well known/established sandwich. I think they're just following the convention of the pre-existing version rather than naming it that way because it sounds better

Yeah, one of my favorite burgers from whataburger. Think I'll get one actually.

its the other way around
theres grilled cheese

then theres sandwiches with cheese melted onto it. melts have a non melt version

then theres toast

My go-to for lunch/dinner at greasy spoons.
Best with rye bread.

Whenever I'm at a restaurant and they have patty melts, I get one every time.

A patty melt is a hamburger on white bread. Prove me wrong

No one is going to argue against that, but patty melts are specifically a hamburger on white bread with onions and melted cheddar/swiss. Why you feel the need to challenge others to prove you wrong about this is the real concern I have about your statement.

so it's a cheese burger on white bread.

also onions. and then nothing else.

A cheese burger with specific toppings on sliced bread. Now that your assessment has been affirmed, be autistic elsewhere.

I like my patty melts with a bun, tomato, and lettuce.

It took you that long to come up with that? You suck dude.

I liek patty

Slow internet