Roasted potato thread

Easily the best side dish out there, I literally can't have enough

What do/should you season the potato with? I use salt, oregano, rosemary, black pepper and paprika, roasted in extra virgin olive oil.

look up the cooks illustrated recipe for potatoes and vinegar. they're rpetty great. I'd use balsamic instead of malt vinegar though. that was kind of weird.

basically boil potatoes until almost done, take them out and let them cool in the strainer. cut them in half, and place them skin-side up on a cookie sheet, and smash them down with the bottom of a measuring cup. some kosher salt, fresh cracked pepper, and then brush some balsamic on the tops and roast. when they're done brush them again with the vinegar. I'm gonna try brushing with a little garlic butter too next time.

also another recipe I like for roasted taters.

cube some potatoes, mince some onion, green and red bell pepper, maybe a clove or two of garlic, toss in olive oil and season with salt, pepper, oregano and rosemary. cook them bitches in the oven until they're done, and when they are grate some parm-reggiano and toss it in the taters. really good stuff.

I really like cavenders... Lots of cavenders.

I throw the left overs in a bowl with some chicks, eggs, mayo, and lots of very thin sliced celery. Makes a fantastic roasted potato salad.

Boil the potatoes, then towards the end throw in some baking soda.

Then drain and toss the potatoes around in a bowl with some oil, the outsides should get a fluffy and mashed texture.

Then bake. Comes out really crispy.

People are going to say there are no potatoes in there... So here.

cook the onion, pepper and garlic in the oven? wouldn't be easier to cook then in a regular pan?

>Greek

No thanks

that's an awful fancy looking cutlery for plain crackers

I mean you can do that too I guess. definitely isn't 'easier' than just tossing them in the oil with the potatoes. oh I guess I should add that you don't really spread them out in a pan. I like to throw them in a glass dish or something like a small casserole dish, cover and cook for about 12 minutes, take out and stir, remove the foil and let them brown on top for another 15 minutes or so.

>plain cracker

Dude, those are Ritz. The king of fucking crackers.

>plain

are you fucking blind? those are ritz crackers, designed by and for only the wealthiest class of people.

Jesus fuck that's a lot of mayo. On a scale of 1 to jack how fat are you?

5'10 180 lb

So... 4/jack? Bathing suit season is in 2 months. I am working on it. This is technically a salad - lols.

Its sort of hard to tell though... Almost all ingredients are white. Potato, chicken, hard boiled egg whites.... Its just enough to coat. Its not swimming by any means.

>The king of fucking crackers

wrong. :-]

You're fucking delusional, chief.

Townhouse are great, but they are second to Ritz.

Put some fucking onions or garlic with your taters to make em pop.

>i am pleb

>crackers made by elves

Keep trying.

how did a tater thread derailed into a cracker discussion

idk that fuckin' idiot thinks ritz are better than townhouse that's why

>elves

Shiggy.diggity.do

Cue some sweet potatoes, and toss with olive oil, cayenne pepper, and salt.

i can cook all kinds of shit but good roast potatoes fucking elude me and it pisses me off to no end

how? just throw then into the oven

The signals I'm getting from this fucking can are so mixed I'm feeling ill

/duck fat
>pattern not found

Fucking duck fat you plebs.

newfag to cooking potatoes.

I got a bag yukon golds and I want to roast them. Only problem is I live at a high altitude (Colorado) and in the past they've always come out dry as fuck.

A friend suggested instead of using actual olive oil, use Pam/similar spray. Any other suggestions? I have chicken breasts, shallots, garlic and spices aplenty.

yeah, no

Ayyy I just made some
R8

It ALL PURPOSE Greek seasoning. You can use it for any purpose.

Its not giving you mixed messages. Its a secret MIX of ancient greek spices.

>duck fat instead of goose fat
now whos the pleb here

I came here to recommend salt & vinegar roasted potatoes too. Except the recipe I use has you boil the potatoes in a mix of water and vinegar (use about 1/2 cup white and/or cider vinegar per 3 potatoes, add 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt, pour in enough water to cover potatoes) for 20 - 25 minutes. Then roast them, sprinkling with more vinegar halfway through.

>Duck is 15-20 bucks in Chinatown and rarely found unfrozen in regular grocery stores
>Goose is always atleast 80 bucks and only ever found online or near holidays

This. All forms of potato are great, bu nothing is as satisfying and fulfulling as roasted potatoes. Crisp skin, soft mushy inside ad seasoned just right. Fucking delicious.

cooks country had a good roast potato recipe in its last issue.. i'll post pics in a sec.

I've never had a problem finding goose in a normal supermarket. Yes, it's often frozen, but so what? That doesn't affect the fat at all.

Anyway, assuming you live in some kind of goose-free wasteland what's wrong with mail-order?

>roasted in extra virgin olive oil

An hero

Basically the same, but I use some summer savory and either lemon or lime juice near the end after I've tossed them. Also, I use a mix of potatoes and sweet potato, sometimes big cuts of onion as well.

Bacon-braised red potatoes ala cooks country, april-may 2017 issue.

Btw, this is the best cooking publication there is.

The fact that its 80 bucks and basically any other meat is going to taste way better if you're dropping that kind of money

Whenever I make a whole chicken I always put it on a bed of seasoned fingerling potatoes. All the chicken fat that drips off the chicken goes into the potatoes and the potatoes basically roast in chicken fat. Comes out so good and moist every time I make it.

Before other people call you a plebe for not using more expensive fats, i want to tell you that you are doing it right.

Thank you good sir, you should try it sometime

did you just call Ritz plain crackers muddafucka?

Nil Sine Numine fellow mountainfag

Just fry the bitches

You ever considered buying just the fat instead of the whole bird?

AAAAAAAAAAAAA holy fuck that's really good actually

Salt, pepper & some olive oil with a shake of Italian seasoning.

I'm not the guy you're replying to, but in my experience "just the fat" is often retardly expensive.

In my supermarket they sell duck fat from some fancy brand in glass jars. A single jar costs over $12. For three more dollars I can buy a whole duck then get meat, the skeleton for stock, and just as much fat reserved from the roasting tray. If ducks happen to be on sale then it's the same price (or less) than the cost of the jar of fat.

One excellent source of cheap goose fat would be to buy canned goose confit. Even if your local shops don't carry it you can mail-order it. You get the goose meat inside of course, plus there's usually a lot of extra fat in the can.

Also pay attention to the time of year. When there is a major holiday many supermarkets will stock up on things expected to be sold. Christmas, Thanksgiving, Easter...etc. But once that holiday has passed you will find huge markdowns on the ducks, geese, turkeys, big-ass beef roasts, etc, that they stocked up on and didn't sell. I often buy geese after a big holiday for less than $1/lb purely for the fat and the stock I get from it. The meat is just a bonus.

>ancient greek spices.
Ingredients: Salt, Black Pepper, Corn Starch, Garlic, Monosodium Glutamate, Oregano, Flavor Base Seasoning (Hydrolyzed Corn Soy Protein, Sugar, Onion Powder, Spice Extractives), Parsley And Five Other Spices.

wtf

should you peel the potato or should you leave the skin on?

both

I usually roast them along side the meat in the same pan, but yeah, a few whole cloves of garlic, a sliced onion, thyme black pepper, olive oil, white wine, oregano and whatever else I have at hand that works with the meat, they end up pretty much boiling in the water released by the meat/onions, after I just remove the meat and let them crisp up a bit, perhaps removing some of the sauce so they crust up nicely

Depends on the potato and the dish. Generally speaking, leave the skin on for roasted or mashed waxy potatoes, peel all starchy potatoes unless baked whole, and peel any potato you're turning into a dumpling or pasta.

Amerifat international food eveybody! Gotta get in them chemicals or Dow , Monsanto and Bayer aren't happy!

>Spice Extractives
>And Five Other Spices

BEHOLD! The secrets of the ancient Greeks!

Cavender's is delicious. I use it to season roasted potatoes and I usually add a little more MSG ala Accent.

I don't know what you faggots are worried about.

Ace thread OP. Anyone scrolled down this far enjoys coontriboots to cooking home food. We needs more of these...

Your a plain cracker you little bitch

*you're

>ThatSmile.gif

She knows...

I diced up a sweet potato for breakfast the other day

>small dice
>tossed in oil (truffle salt, brown sugar, and cinnamon).
>throw a pan with excess oil into the oven at 425
>bitches almost fried in there
>came out creamy with a crispy, candy-like skin

So fucking good. The truffle flavor blended with the brown sugar excellently

not bad, OP, here are mine (with a steak diane)

just salt, pepper and rosemary and a bit of butter at the end

Duck fat sprinkled on finished taters will make you orgasm upon tasting. Not lying bro, I came in my pants.

I roasted these, so I guess they count.

I really only use thyme and salt for mine.

Decent presentation, but a touch plain for my taste unless you had some sauce. Just butter for your shrimp?

Peel potatoes, cut into wedges, boil for ten minutes, drain, return to pot, cover, shake then place on oiled half sheet pan and bake until done and crispy. Parboiling softens the exterior, shaking roughens the exterior, baking makes the exterior perfect. Bake until the interior is fluffy. And delightful.

Shrimp are just garlicky with olive oil.

12 cloves:
4 minced
4 crushed
4 four thinly sliced

Tossed raw shrimp in bowl with minced with some coarse salt. Sauteed the crushed garlic with the shrimp shells till brown, extracted the oil, cooked the slices in that oil a bit and cooked the shrimp after with them.

Trust me, they had flavor. The potatoes had butter. But just a bit.

Anyone try the hassle back meme?
Any good?

Yeah, I've made them many times. They're delicious.

personal preference is herb de provence, black pepper and olive oil as seasoning