I have a bunch of Tilapia fillets I want to cook

I have a bunch of Tilapia fillets I want to cook.

How should I cook them Veeky Forums?

My fish usually turns out okay pan frying it, but I just use salt, pepper, and some lemon while cooking to flavor it. Tilapia sort of tastes like nothing.

Bump

get you some blackened seasoning

make a ceviche

Use butter, salt, pepper and lemon.

Another question is when can I really tell if they are done? Sometimes I feel like I am overcooking the fillets (they get this ugly grey in the middle)

I use tilapia for fish tacos. Pan fry, throw on some chili, cumin, garlic, salt pepper, etc. Then break fillets up right in pan. A few spoonfuls into a taco shell or tortilla wrap and lettuce, tomato, onion, hot sauce.

You're right they do taste like nothing on their own.

Brown sugar and dijon mustard glaze.

Try cooking one without breading. Put it in the pan, let it cook until the color changes about ~2/3 of the way up the fillet. Flip it, and cook for just a bit under half the time it took you to cook the first side. That's it. Congrats, you now have a base time for cooking your fillets.

If you're super paranoid, take a knife and cut it into the thickest part. It should be moist but the juice should not seep out. If it does, it needs a bit more.

Also, if you like any sort of breading, a 50/50 flour and corn meal mix goes well with tilapia. Heavily salt your breading, add pepper, and something like Old Bay. If you don't have that, try some cayenne and garlic powder. (Taste the breading before you dip the fish in it... it'll taste floury but you're also checking to see how well the salt and spices come through. If they seem weaker than the flour taste, add more until you're satisfied. That'll leave you with a well-seasoned breading when they're done cooking.

Cheers.

Thanks senpai. Gonna try breading for the first time.

Lemongrass and tumeric

I made some good-ass fish latkes the other week. I think it was rock bass that my buddy caught, but basically white meat.

I made mashed potatoes, let them sit in the fridge, over-fried some fish (crispy, not burnt), then combined with some eggs, breadcrumbs, and others. Others would include things like onions, garlic, chives, paprika, whatever you think would taste good.

Then you just basically make balls, flatten, then fry in oil until they're golden brown on both sides.

Wa La!

>Old Bay
I see I'm not the only Marylander here. I recommend it a lot to friends out of state and they never know what I'm talking about

Old Bay?

Throw it in the trash and set it on fire. Unless you're a nigger, then bread and fry them.

The most amazing spice to come out of the Eastern United States

Make fish katsu
>cut into small 3 inch squares
>flour
>drench into egg
>then panko breading
>throw into oil

Also bulldog sauce is great on it. Shits fucking bomb.

holy fuck

Baltimoron here

I was born in harbor hospital.
We got to play outside all day and the only stipulation was go inside when you hear gunshots.
Lived in Baltimore all of 12 years and that was the only drawback besides all the niggers.

I'm from the Eastern Shore, it was pretty comfy
Plenty of space to run around and whatnot and my dad had friends who liked to hunt so we got plenty of free deer meat

Ceviche is easy and you can't really overcook it.

Blackening just needs a good sear, get the pan extra hot and leave the filet a little cooler and lay it down on it.