That'll be 5.95. Can I have your zip code?

>That'll be 5.95. Can I have your zip code?

i've got another zip for you buddy
*unzips dick*

Why am I dealing with a barista? I make my own coffee.

>Sure, it's 90210

No no no not my bung hole!

BOSTON, MASS 02134

Went to Academy today, had to do this.

What do they use it for? Marketing research?

>"no"
that was hard

It opens the cash register sir.

Keep the change you filthy animal.

I dislike this. Happens at gas stations.

Didn't know what the fuck was happening the first time, so I typed in my PIN (debit card) and then went in to ask what the fuck was up.

Apparently they're going to be requiring zip codes for cards to prevent theft.

More inconvenient than the fucking chip.

>Apparently they're going to be requiring zip codes for cards to prevent theft.
No they're not, that would do literally nothing.
Zip codes arent even required for purchases under $10,000. The only reason you usually have to include them in online purchases is because otherwise there's an additional fee made from the payment processor against the seller.

"put in some random number then"

>having a system that counts your balance by going from max to the current balance
what a fucking dumb idea the chip was

>That will be 3.50, your phone number, and your email address.

yes it's stupid, but that's the reason. probably insurance companies forcing the trend.

I thought it was like a survey type of thing so they can find where their customers come from so they can target advertising.

>asking for your zip code directly

Huh.
Here they mail out coupons in zipcode-specific junkmail.

Guess asking's cheaper.

Thats the main reason. Toys R Us has done it since I was a kid. Zip codes are really only a thing for verification when you can purchase without another person involved in the transaction

Chip and pin is how every real country has done credit card transactions for nearly a decade. Chip with sometimes a signature that is never checked until after fraud does almost nothing over the old system

>Real countries make card users pay for a criminal's fraudulent charges.

When the criminal has gotten the goods, gasoline, food, clothes, etc somebody is getting fucked even if you're a neet whose time is worthless and you don't mind sitting on the phone for 20 minutes to an hour giving proof you're not lying about someone stealing your card info. The business is out of the merchandise unless tax dollars are wasted trying to find and prosecute the criminal.

I'll be paying with cash, Ahmed.

Underrated.

> but that's the reason
I assure you, it isn't.

This is the reason. Survey info or "point reward" crap or stuff like that.

One business loses a few hundred dollars or the card holder now has to pay for $13,000 worth of fraudulent charges because, "chip and pin is undefeatable." No wonder Yuropoors can't afford anything.

underrated

Hey dumbass, you still get the same protection offered by the credit card companies, but fraud happens far less often because of chip and pin

okay, then tell me smart guy. what is the reason some machine and retail worker would force you to type in your zip code other than security forced by insurance? Nigerian scammers? that's the reason. it's a bum deal, but them's the breaks.

how bout you go fuck yourself pardeep

No its to market to you

>having to pay 150€ per fraudulent charge because a thief copied your PIN
>same protection

good explanation. i guess it's a conspiracy!

send it to zoom?

>Can I just get you social security number for a second, bro?

I don't see what the big deal is. It's not like your zip code is unique to you specifically.

I just tell them to make some shit up.

They don't need my phone # or anything else.

That's all I can think of. Either to keep track of where their store is pulling customers from and also I imagine for mail advertisements.

Also, Academy is fucked because because they carded me for a fucking whetstone. It's a non-issue because I'm 27, but fuck, why are whetstones age restricted? It's literally a rock.

The Sears hardware store by my house did that too for as long as I can remember.

Shit's annoying.

>Your total today comes out to $6.38, plus a mandatory gratuity of 21%
>please insert your chip, xir
>okay, now it's going to ask for a rectal print on the screen
>the rectal printing service also requires a 15% tip for authentication
>have a great day, xir!