Cookware

One of the 'benefits' of carbon steel pans is that they react quickly to changes in heat. How do they compare to copper clad stainless steel in that regard?

Other urls found in this thread:

forums.egullet.org/topic/25717-understanding-stovetop-cookware/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

You wont notice any difference if you are a home cook, unless you are autistic

That's enough out of you, teenager.
Stop posting on this website.

Thanks for confirming your autism

Everything I found through a quick Google search says they're "comparable" so I guess that's how they compare

Replies:4
Posters:4

Thanks for confirming your mental retardation.
Let me explain. Op hasn't replied to any of your posts.
Calling everything autistic is childish and weak, grow the fuck up and learn to discuss simple topics without throwing a social disorder into the mix.
A social disorder does not have anything to do with the material a cooking vessel is made out of.
You sound asinine and immature, unlearned to a point in which your library of insults is limited to "ur autistic lol" in response to basic question and answer discussions.

You, sir, are a fucking sad person.
So sad that the evil birth defect you push upon everyone ceaselessly is the very same defect that the man destroying you suffers from.

>autistic kid is calling you a retard
>time to an hero

Now fucking leave. You know nothing.

He going need some burn ointment with that comeback.

Stainless steel is nonreactive, it seems like that would be the better choice, then.

>not falling for the nippon steel meme
>not falling for the cast iron meme
Where have you been?

On a related note, why the fuck do all stainless pots now have steel handles, do they not know that that's how you burn people? And what's the deal with putting aluminium bolts on them so they aren't dishwasher safe? It's ridiculous!

Cast iron is a great complement to stainless steel clad copper though?

They compliment each other? I'm not wearing my cookware, and I don't even think they look that great together.

Copper needs to be very thick to be useful and is thus very expensive. Copper clad is a marketing gimmick in my opinion, as is most copper cookware on the market, which is decorative and not useful. There are several benefits to carbon steel: its cheap and easy to make nonstick. Most professional kitchen use them and it's worth having a couple around. De Buyer makes a good pan that's reasonably priced.

>tfw seasoning a debuyer for the first time

I probably fucked my pan up.

I'll add that the only thing worth going all in for with copper is a saucier and it must be > or ~2.5mm thick. Prepare to drop some cash. Worth it though if sauces are your thing.

Cast iron is cheaper and does the same thing. It's good for those recipes that tell you to toss the whole pan into the oven. You can't do that with teflon.

>Cast iron is cheaper and does the same thing.
Cast iron does not react quickly to changes in heat. Its entire selling point is that it holds on to heat really well, i.e. doesn't cool down quickly.

That might be true for heat conductance between the element and the pot, but you've got a large pot on a small element a copper-bottom pan will spread the heat to the extremities of the pan quicker. But with the advent of induction hobs, which bypass the surface-to-surface thermal conductivity issue altogether, copper bottoms are phasing out of popularity. But you can still buy wide pans with a layer of copper between the iron base and pan to spread the heat sidewards. This layer is at least 2mm thick. They're probably a little less efficient on an induction hob, but by that much.

And finally, here's a good write up if your interested and this thread isn't more fun posting from Aus: forums.egullet.org/topic/25717-understanding-stovetop-cookware/

True from personal experience, I've got some old 60's/70's era revere ware copper bottom pots & sauce pans I inherited that are fantastic.

Dude.

Just clean and try again.

What happened?

Cleaned it for the first time, hot water and soap.

Then it turned out weird as fuck. Like a lot of brown spots appeared on the pan after the clean up.

It's supposed to be brown all over. The fact that it's only brown in spots means the oil didn't polymerize, which implies you used the wrong type of oil or didn't heat it high enough. Raw oils are easiest. Coat it in oil, put it in the oven and bake at 280°C for an hour. Done. Also, no soap.