What are the best whiskey?

What are the best whiskey?
>inb4 Jack Daniels

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=BP51NnoVErA
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chill_filtering),
vinepair.com/wine-blog/why-there-is-food-coloring-in-your-expensive-whiskey/).
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Jack Daniels.

This

Jura, johnnie walker black or blue label, glenmorangie depends on budget aswell i suppose those are my favourites

My favourite whisky is Ardbeg 10, or maybe Laphroaig Quarter Cask.

As for bourbon, it isn't so readily available in the UK but out of the bunch we do get Bulleit is my favourite.

Jameson

I haven't tried a lot so far, but Wild Turkey is the best of those I have tried.

Royal Reserve

Tullamore Dew

inb4 weeb, it's actually good

any suggestions for a great whiskey for drinking on the rocks?

Pic related is delicious.

I'll reccomend Wild Turkey again.

I just bought a bottle of this and it's quite good. Makes a good old fashion too.

try irish whiskeys like jameson or cutty shark.

the melting of the ice mellows out the flavor.

>Bulleit

my fellow caucasian

he was never wrong
youtube.com/watch?v=BP51NnoVErA

My nigger

Jack is overrated, JB Black or better yet, Buffalo Trace is my go to.

Have to try that out...

>commercial likker
>good

You pay for the brand, packaging, marketing, transportation, taxes and the wholesaler and store's profit. Only 10% of the paid price is for the actual stuff.

Woodford's my go to

For me, it's the Shamrock Shake with a finger of Jack poured in

Found this last Saturday. Probably not going to open for a while so I've been drinking Blanton's which is the. Est bang per buck if you can find it.

It all depends on what taste you are after. The only blended whisky that is drinkable on its own is Chivas Regal 12yo. Bourbon and Irish whisky is for cocktails.

For an actual good beginner whisky i would recommend The Balvenie Doublewood 12yo. Its speyside, has a delicious honey and sherry flavor and is extremely smooth on rocks.

If you love open fires try Lagavulin 16yo or Caol Ila 12yo

My personal favorites are the Lagavulin, Aberlour A'bunadh, Sullivan's Cove American and French oak (my home states best) and Green Spot.

For the love of god do not mix anything that says single malt on it.

Underrated post

Considering it's price, This stuff is amazing. I'd put it up against ryes that cost 3x as much

Elmer T Lee is my go-to when I can find it.

>Jura, johnnie walker black or blue label, glenmorangie depends on budget aswell i suppose those are my favourites

jw black (and red) is fucking swill....but blue is some of the best tasting stuff I've ever head

Glenlivet

>tfw Westland emailed me yesterday saying they're not interested in bringing me on
>stuck at this dogshit distillery for the forseeable future

Copperworks Single Malt (3) is some of the best stuff I've tasted. Willett rye, Thomas Handy Sazerac (with water), George T Stagg (with water), Macallan sherry cask, are all great, but since I'm not rich a Laphroig 10 is my go to. Also, the George T Stagg stand up to a Pappy 15 easily. And the Pappy 23 is a trophy bottle. Aging for that long starts to have a negative effect on the whiskey.

enjoy those savings when you've gone blind

bushmills > jameson

scotch>japanese whisky>American single malts>rye>bourbon>>>Irish whisky>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>candadian "whisky"

how the fuck do you just 'find' that?

Bulleit frontier whiskey is really good and easy to find if you go to an ABC.

>he actually fell for the lies

It's not about savings either, it's about better booze.

Bought a bottle of this tonight, and it's pretty tasty, but not as tasty as the Elijah Craig.

So far on this whiskey binge:

Knobb creek single barrel > Elijah Craig > Buffalo trace > Knobb creek small batch > > > Makers cask strength

The makers cask strength was a BIG disappointment. Shit was like water.

How much did that run you?

Always thought it lacked flavour compared to irish whiskeys

Went in to buy more Blantons and asked about Pappy. Guy had a full set that he would not split up and a few lone bottles of the 10 and 12. First time I'd ever seen any Pappy's in person.

$300 after tax. Most I've ever spent on one bottle.

lol

W.L. Weller special reserve
It has a very crisp, punchy oak taste, it's not cloying at all

What are some cheap bourbons that are good enough for drinking neat (me) and mixing into old fashions (friends)? I enjoyed my Wild Turkey 101 enough but nobody wanted to drink it with me, so I'm contemplating just buying a handle of Jim Bean.

Budget would be

Pappy markup is insane. You got lucky only paying $300.

When the bottles are released straight from the distillery, pappy 10yr is only around $60.

The avg price it sells at is $450-525 although some places have it as much as $700 online. Debating on going back and getting the 12 if the guy still has it.

Why are Islay whiskies so gross? Peat makes me want to retch

>Why are Islay whiskies so gross? Peat makes me want to retch
Islay whiskies are made with lots of highly peated malt, since you dislike peat that maybe why you don't like how they taste.

>american whiskey

Try this: You will be pleasantly surprised.

gb2/lgbt/ speysidefag

This.
And cheap, too.

Eh, wrong image.

All personal preference (mostly based on mood) but I have some I really like:

Hibiki 21 (Suntory) - Blended whisky, won numerous awards, very smooth and slightly tastes of plums or something to me. Too bad it's like $450 now (found a bottle about 5 years ago for $80 in Taiwan)

Kavalan Classic (Taiwanese) - definitely unique, sweet and tastes of tropical fruits

Highland Park (Scotch) - Has a little bit of everything for everyone. Some oak, some smoke, some sweet, etc

Glenmorangie (Scotch, pretty much any bottling) - Since their shtick is barrel aging in various used wine barrels (port, sherry, sauternes, etc) you'll have a wide variety of flavors to choose from

Pretty much any of Diaego's Classic Malts (Scotches: Dalwhinnie, Talisker, Oban, Craggenmore, Glenkinchie, Lagavulin)

Caol Ila (Scotch) - The lightest of all the Islay whiskies in terms of smoke, if you can find an independent bottling you'll be in for a treat. I remember getting a Signatory bottling a while ago and remembered it had just the faintest citrus taste to it, like lemongrass.

Powers (Irish) - Fairly cheap, easy drinking whisky.

4 Roses Single Barrel (bourbon) - very solid bourbon

High West (American Rye) - High West has a number of good offerings, even their cheapest bottles are delicious

Blade and Bow (Bourbon) - moderately priced (~$50 suggested) but still an interesting whisky

Maker's Mark - Cheap and easy to drink

Came here to post this. I recently made the switch from Maker's to Buffalo Trace because it was cheaper at a bar I like and it's delicious. Smoky and so easy to drink.

It's pretty hard to fuck up distillation. You must be pretty retarded to think otherwise.

Plenty of non rednecks and rednecks alike home brew. Can you fucking believe that essentially, at one point, all commercial whiskeys were home brewed?

>buying ol' Mr. Daniel's whiskey, huh? Muh blindness, muh deafness

Fucking trash retarded nigger.

To OPs question, i like Elijah Craig and Noah's Mill.

I'm a fan of Crown Royal

>i like Elijah Craig

These fuckers really need to advertise, because it's THAT fucking good.

Try it, and you'll be surprised.

You have no idea what you're talking about.

Distillation is an art.

Anyone can distil some turpentine tasting grain alcohol, but to actually make anything worth while, you really can't do that at home.

And no, at no point, were "all commercial whiskeys home brewed"

Nobody is barrel aging whiskey for years in their basement lol.

>Caol Ila ... if you can find an independent bottling you'll be in for a treat.

Why? Because it might be at cask strength?

If your considering anything other than one of Talisker's offerings i would highly recommend suicide.

Johnny Walker is SCOTCH idiots. He asked about WHISKEY

Frank Sinatra Special Reserve Jack Daniels, Blanton's, and Hibiki Japanese Whiskey. Smooth and very enjoyable on the rocks with a Cigar.

The commercial bottlings that you see on the shelf are usually chill filtered (see en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chill_filtering), which means that any sediment in there is removed and you get that consistent clear look of the spirit. This also means that some flavor is lost/removed from the spirit. Also, some places color their whisky with caramel coloring, though there is a debate on whether or not it affects the taste of the whisky (vinepair.com/wine-blog/why-there-is-food-coloring-in-your-expensive-whiskey/).

So, the independent bottling companies may just take the spirit from the cask and just bottle it as it is. Or they may run through their own filtering, but it really depends as the casks they select are often fairly unique from the commercial bottlings. Also, if you pick up an "un-chill filtered" whisky, put in in the fridge and you'll see it get cloudy as the temperature gets lowered.

For price in the Midwest, Evan Williams. I much prefer it over Jack.

In Taiwan, Jim Bean for decent quality, but for price either Vat69 or Suntory

This with dark chocolate and sea salt sprinkles

I favor these
Lagavulin 16 yrs
Dalmore 12/15/18 yrs

Idiot

I've only had the 10 year and the "Distiller's Edition" and jesus they are fantastic. The Dist Edition may have been a bit too smooth even, but that could be my unrefined palate talking. Every other single malt I've had has been lacking now, because I want the salt/pepper/smoke combo that only Talisker achieves.

hard to beat the 10 year at $60--great value.

I imagine the 18 and 25 are crazy good.

Laphroaig 10 is the best supermarket shelf whiskey

Caol Ila is underrated but the official bottling has something lacking

>lagavulin 16
meme tier tbqh

Whoever think Jack Daniels is even decent is a dumb fuck.

>You have no idea what you're talking about.

Actually, it's you that has no clue.

Distilling isn't rocket science, dude. Anyone can do it, and anyone can get excellent results with practice. As for barrel aging, the smaller the volume, the lower the time requirement to be on the wood, and you don't need a barrel to do it, just the wood.

Fuck off, it's delicious.

wait is it whisky or whiskey

>is it whisky or whiskey

Yes.

American whiskies are whiskey, other whiskies are whisky

*American and Irish

Scottish whisky is whisky. Any other whiskey is whiskey.

canadian and japanese is also whiskey

What's up brown-liquor fags. I'm having these tonight.
The Elijah Craig is not quite as good now that it's NAS. Still good, but I'd rather just pick up a bottle of Old Forester for $17.
The double oaked Woodford is fantastic! Often times bourbon can taste kinda same-y, but this one is pretty unique. Very smooth and rounded and smells like fucking butterscotch.

Pretty sure that was implied when I said "any other"

Hennessy

How is lagavulin 16 meme tier?

Japanese whisky is whisky, as is anything that is made like scotch.

Mah nigga. Argbeg 10 is fantastic, but the Uigeadail is even better. Also Talisker is a close 3rd for me, despite not technically being from the Promised Land (aka Islay).

Jameson is trash, at least go for a decent Jameson beyond the stock version.

Mein negger.

I'm a fan of Bushmills myself

And you are a faggot. At least post decent shit if your going to down the clasic.

>up the ira

>Whiskey stored in the freezer
Fuck is wrong with you

Local bar keeps these around.

agree

>Fuck is wrong with you
Lots of things, friend.

>Indian whiskey
Do they filter it through shit?

I've had the Amrut whisky before. Was really sweet and reminded me more of a rum than a whisky. Does someone else have a different recollection/experience with that whisky?

All the following are the same price where I live. Which one would be the best pick?.

Aberlour 10
Peat Chimney 8
The Glenlivet FOunder's Resever
Auchentoshan 12
Glenfiddish 12
Glenfarclas 10
Glen Elgin 12
Glenkinchie 12
Aberlour 12
Bowmore 12
Glenmorangie Original 10
Clynelish 14

Also Speyburn 10 is 7€ cheaper. Would that be a good pick?

Auchentoshan aint the best
Glenmorangie is always a safe buy

This. Surprised it got no mentions. Best value whiskey itt

I'd pick this one.

Fuck's in that glass? Disgusting