Thai thread

Who here /Thai/ cooking? I love curries the most, I made pic related (only have the book's picture), homemade paste and everything. Does canned coconut milk taste different from milk from a fresh coconut? It was the most delicious dish I've ever cooked, for sure, will repeat.

Other urls found in this thread:

pinchofyum.com/crockpot-red-lentil-curry
youtube.com/watch?v=znAXg6rqeNs
twitter.com/AnonBabble

there is no "milk" in coconuts, just water and the flesh, which is industrially grinded and treated to be what you refer to.
Pic looks good, though its lame to tell you the picture form your book looks good.
Chicken Larb is the thai meal i cook most frequently, and i also use the base fishsauce+garlic+chili+lime out of the mortar and pestle for many salads involving cold meats etc.

>whitewashed Thai food
Bunch of weebs.
Go to Thailand. Cheap and great.

I recently mixed red curry with ground chicken with spanish rice. It was the fucking bomb.

great advice ladi, this can be your very personal shitpost.
every time somebody talks about the cuisine of a country call them a weeb and tell them to go there

Thai food is by far my favorite cuisine, if you have a South East Asian grocery store near your house you should absolutely take advantage of it. It's cheap and delicious. I make all sorts of curries, soupso, larb, salted fish, basil chicken, pad thai, etc.

moron

I do a bit of Thai.
Helps that my gf is Thai.
She's bossy but I love her food.

Alright that makes sense, but do you have experience doing the grinding at home, and were the results worth it? I will never buy curry paste from a store again.

What's this?

The city I live in only has chinese so not too many SEA, no good grocery stores unfortunately.

What are your sugestion for currys that dont neceseraly use chicken?

Not necessarily Thai, but speaking of curries, you can do a lentil curry. I just made one last night and it's amazing.

pinchofyum.com/crockpot-red-lentil-curry

Shrimp or pork is also popular

It's Thai kway teow.
Pork bones slowly simmered, noodles lightly fried in sweet soy and then combined with everything you see on the plate.
Green curry is versatile, any protein can be used, although I'd stay away from seafood. Red curry is best with beef, pork or duck.
Check out kra prao - not curry but delicious. Especially with squid or pork.

And crab shit curry
>inb4 I am serious. I'm Thai.

no i dont, i am not even sure how that could be done. also i pretty much only ever use coconut milk if im lazy on a weeknight and use up leftover veg with coconutmilk+storebought currypaste (made by the owners of the asiastore but whatever,still not as good as selfmade).

Is there any thai food without curry or coconut milk?

Pad Thai, Char Kwey Tiau, Tom Yum Goong

Most of it lacks both of those ingredients.

Short of living in muban (IE the boonies), people in Thailand use canned coconut milk, too.

The difference in taste between fresh, made from dry and pre-made/packaged coconut milk is real, but slight. IMO, it goes

fresh made > carton > made-from-dry > canned

But again, the difference in taste is the most minute of minutia. Say fresh is 10/10, yeah? then carton is 9,5/10, made-from-dry is 9.3/10 and canned is 9/10. Barely a difference, really.

If buying canned/cartoned, what you should really look for is fat content. Higher is better.

To make coconut milk, all you do is remove the meat from the coconut shell, scrape the brown bits off and blitz the white meat with boiling water then allow it to cool. Finally, you squeeze it through muslin. I wouldn't call that "industrially grinded and treated" as that implies something more than what the process actually is.

WATCH OUT BEST THAI CURRY RECIPE COMING THROUGH

youtube.com/watch?v=znAXg6rqeNs

I fucking love Thai curries, but for whatever reason I've only made them once or twice.

I need to do this more often.

Chicken tikka Masala but with tofu instead

I haven't had a lot of North Thai food but I can't stand the coconut milk based curries from the south.

whaat? coconut milk is gods titjuice

I love drinking plain coconut water. and I don't mind it in other recipes. But for some reason I just can't stand it in my curry

Khao soi is arguably the best northern thai dish.
You don't like that?

>Thai food
Ok let me get out my coconuts and fish sauce and grind 700 chilies