Which is better? Is other trash?

Which is better? Is other trash?

>whiskey
>not whisky

enjoy your brown water

It's a pretty simple choice, if you can handle it neat then go neat for maximum flavor. If it's too intense get it on the rocks, lower temperature and extra water both make it more drinkable.

The left one because there's more in it. Duh

id prefer to drink BOTH

The only difference in the two terms is where they're distilled.

Good stuff neat, every day stuff with some ice if it's hot and neat if it isn't.

scotch with one rock

typical yank

both are good

neat or diluted with a little water. An ice cube's worth is way too much

Sour

SPERG
P
E
R
GREPS

>diluted with a little water

Why don't you just get slightly weaker whiskey then? If 40% is too much, get 35%. Then you won't need to dilute it.

Really high quality stuff I drink neat.

My preferred way to drink lesser quality stuff is:

- Old fashioned glass
- Three fingers worth of booze
- One ice cube

I'll sip on that for maybe 30 to 45 minutes, so you get a nice range of flavor as the ice melts slightly and the drink dilutes.

i present: whiskey neato

>if you can handle it neat then go neat for maximum flavor.

Max flavor is more accessible at about 60 proof, so adding water, or ice, is the way to go with whiskey if you want flavor. Some like the heat of the alcohol, so drink it neat if that's what you want.

Jimmy Russell is one of the longest serving master distillers in U.S. history, and when he tests his whiskey, he adds water to tone it down to 60%, so if it's good enough for Jimmy, it's good enough for me.

Enjoy it the way you want to, regadless.

10/10

whisky and milk

Just get some vodka, it's cheaper.

The point of the splash of water is to open up the flavors, not dilute the drank

like the other dude said, it's just a couple drops to open up the flavors. Also 35% technically cannot be called whisk(e)y

I drink on the rocks to save whisky
makes the bottle last longer

whisky with coke is the only way to drink this crap.

I believe it's both.

same way I drink everything, out of a coffee mug

On the rocks is literally for babies that can't handle the flavor. The lower temperature, like with beer, takes away from the intensity on top of watering it down with an ice cube.

I normally drink bourbon in shots. First one is taken neat then every one after has a drip of the best water I can find around me.

Neat in home
On the rocks if sitting out on the patio in the summer
That's just me though.

Alcohol tastes gross. My favorite is drinking a cold refreshing coors light made out of rocky mountain greensourced water after eating an altoid. Geico.

Ice cools it down and at a colder temp the sweeter notes of the whisky are brought out. It also subtly dilutes he whisky as it melts taking the edge off.

If you like sweet and smooth whiskey get ice

If you like harsh bitter whisky dont

I'm not a huge fan of liquor but I do like whiskey on the rocks more. Makes it more smooth imo.

How tf do you drink 40% sprits without mixing?

My fucking nigger. One rock a best rock.

Exactly. One rock club is best club.

If you want to dilute your whiskey, add a drop of water
If you want to cool your whiskey, chill the glass in the fridge before pouring
Do both if you prefer
Ice is a bad idea because you have no control over the rate at which it melts, so you end up drinking cool bottle strength whiskey at first and cold overly diluted whiskey by the bottom of the glass

too many ice peons in one whisky thread. There's sense in a *drop* of water but a rock will dilute it too much. I got into whisky by drinking with a knowledgeable friend and a drop of water, but usually we drink it neat unless it's one we haven't tried before so we might add a drop.

underage and poor

you just drink it what's your problem? Would you mix a 20 year old Laphroaig with coke? An XO Fussingy cognac? An hors d'age eau de vie with sprite?

If the only spirit you can afford is some 5€ vodka then obviously you're going to mix it with whatever disgusting beverage you can find in your rotten fridge.

[spoiler]Do whatever you want and don't care about other people's opinions[/spoiler]

yanks can drink recreationally instead of to tide their crippling anxieties

>For maximum flavour
>Not adding a squirt of cold water
Look at this nerd with his numb tastebuds.

>adding water to a drink
What are you, some kind of faggot

never water in whiskey, unless you have a medical condition in your esophagus/stomach, or unless its cask strength (optional)

ice is only allowed in bourbon and shit-tier whiskey.

with pepsi and ketchup

Someone take a picture of themselves putting Siriracha in a glass of whisky.

Whisky sours

Upvoted

I prefer it straight. That said, this "correct way to do it" stuff is pretentious bullshit. The right way to drink it is the way you like it best.

There isn't a better. It's only a preference.

60%abv is 120 proof

drink a lil faster kid

>recreation
>chilling the drink so you can taste less of it

Whiskey, not unlike red wine, is tight when it first comes out of the bottle. A drop -like literally a drop- speeds up the opening process. But not more than a drop, or else you're just watering it down.

yeah, no

something like a cask strength islay for example, requires a rock to show its full range of flavors

as long as you dont go for either because others claimed to know the 'right version' but decide based on the implications, both are fine.

of course adding ice gives some dilution and also chills your drink which makes its taste less dominant. if you dont like too much dilution, you can either omit the ice and just chill the whisky and glass, go for stones instead of ice, or use very big cubes or ideally spheres.

personally, i like my whisky between room and body temp, so i usually warm it a little with my hands if the room is exceptionally cold, a bit like cognac. for dilution i prefer to just mix the bottle strenght whisky with some saliva at the tip of my tounge when taking a sip, this habit gives me perfect dilution, temp and also viscosity, as saliva is thicker than water.
:^)
while i agree that some dilution is generally a good idea with spirits, id rather recommend to experiment as much as possible and then find your own method, as the sense of taste/smell differs quite a lot. there is this masterblender from chivas regal (i believe) who always throws the first dram of whisky away to get his glass ready and also doesnt even taste because apparantly for him smelling gives him all the information he needs for blending with which i can not relate at all.
regarding adding water to get a larger range of flavors i found that the range highly differs. especially cask strenght whiskies which survive various amounts of water can change their nose dramatically (which makes them quite fascinating from time to time) because the shifted ratio of water to alcohol releases a ton of chemicals prior bound in the solution, but low strenght whiskies have a far lower tolerance for additional water before becoming bland and therefore dont show that extreme reactions.

Just drink less whisky per serving you dumbass.

You should add one liter of water per shot of whisky.

It will last you for weeks!

if you don't want to taste your whiskey then on the rocks is for you

Higher ABV means you're buying more alcohol and less water, it means you get to decide how much you dilute it, and with whisky higher proof often means non-chill filtered

My mistake. Should be 60 proof, not 60%.

That's whiskey on the water.

This is whiskey on the rocks

>masterblender from chivas regal
>doesn't even taste

It shows.

Whiskey stones are for retarded, pretentious cunts

So I'm a gay faggot and I can't drink whisk(e)y without gagging, but I want to drink whisky. Can anyone give me tips on not being a pussy beta bitch and help me down and enjoy whisky? Getting tired of flavorless vodka.

Both are trash for trash liquor. Use this or a snifter for $20+ whiskies.

Breath through your mouth after taking a sip, you're gagging because you probably breath through you nose after taking a sip. It's hard to explain.

>Breath
*Breathe, fuck i'm drunk

Ah, so the alcohol vapors are gagging me, rather than the alcohol itself?

sip, let it sit on your tongue until the burn fades then swallow and enjoy all the flavor. that's how.

Depends on the whiskey and what you like. Fuck everyone else.

The correct method is x amount of drops of water in the whisky to bring out x flavours.

Also see: whisky cocktails