I bought some oysters, tried one and it wasn't as good as I hoped, it was the texture and the strong taste that got me...

I bought some oysters, tried one and it wasn't as good as I hoped, it was the texture and the strong taste that got me. I didn't have anything with it and chewed it but I've always seen people in movies give it a bit of lemon or tobasco and shoot it straight down the gullet. Was I doing it wrong and should I try the movie way? I want to enjoy them and they were pretty damn expensive.

Other urls found in this thread:

foodandwine.com/slideshows/oysters/21
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

did you buy them preshucked in a plastic tub and ate them with a disposable fork?

try going to a decent oyster house a few times before diy

Is the pic related?

Yeah they were, I just saw them and decided to buy them, don't know anything about them, they were bluff oysters so I was guessing they wouldn't be terrible

The fork wasn't disposable though

Notice how in the movies people are eating them out of the shell?

Kinda important that they be fresh.

Those are for cooking dude. Only eat them raw out of the shell and make sure they're alive

People typically eat them right on the coast, terribly fresh, and they are shucked open right at the restaurant. They are indeed a bit chewy, as they are basically one solidly strong muscle type of meat. I have no idea what these are that you bought, some kind of frozen deal and thawed, dunno.

I would suggest that you cook them since you found them strong tasting. Give them a dredge in some lovely breading, and roast til cooked, have great dipping sauces at the ready. Think oysters rockefeller, or think about putting them into something else crispy like puff pastry with some cream.

here ya go, get inspired! 21 recipes. All the classics are there
foodandwine.com/slideshows/oysters/21

Yeah, bread them and pan fry them but not too long. That will give you a god start.
I used to eat them off the beach at Hood Canal as a kid.

Anyone else call them whale snots?

Alright will do this

The kroger around here always has them in the case. However case temp always reads a good 15-20F over what is supposedly safe.

In addition the tub even tells you that you should not eat these raw.

>eating oysters from a plastic tub without cooking them
>flyovers will do this

do americans really chew raw oysters?

Try removing top half, then add some butter/garlic mix and top with some parmesan. In oven at 400c for 10 mins. Enjoy.

Would rather suck a dick.

wtf I do that too!

O B E S E D
B
E
S
E
D

And you didnt get sick?