Water filters?

so the tap water at my apartment tastes weird.

its not Flint, Michigan levels of shitty, I cook and wash dishes with it, but it tastes too weird to drink.

I have a cheap filter thing installed on my tap, but the water still tastes meh.

I've been buying bottled water in the meantime, but I know that's expensive.

so I was wondering if you guys knew about a good water filtering solution?

Other urls found in this thread:

infowarsshop.com/-Propur-Water-Filtration_c_53.html
youtube.com/watch?v=hFuIUvBdoE4
softenerparts.com/Resin_Carbon_other_Media_s/24.htm
amazon.com/dp/B001DVW0PI/ref=asc_df_B001DVW0PI4920524/
cdc.gov/healthywater/drinking/private/wells/disease/e_coli.html
waterandhealth.org/newsletter/private_wells.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

layer gravel and sand and charcoal

I just use one of those pitchers with a filter in it. It works pretty well.

wat

not specific enough

talk to me like Im a 5 year old

Same. If you care about the brand, I have Pur.

Frankly I just like having water that's colder than what comes out of the tap.

I've used one of those pitchers a few years back when I was living with roomates, not bad

but I'd like more than just a pitcher on hand

infowarsshop.com/-Propur-Water-Filtration_c_53.html

alex jones offers a great water filter that makes sure you get none of the flouride and other mind control chemicals in your water. My IQ has gone up 14 points and penis size increased 4 inches. Recommend.

yes I'm aware of Mr. Jones

his shit is too expensive for my budget

Get/build a cheap still. Totally legal for water purification purposes.

You wanna look for something that uses ionized resin, not just carbon. Resin filters are more expensive, but you can find them for a fair price at Lowe's/Home Depot. Carbon filters, like (((Pur))) are a meme that mainly remove chlorine and soften the water a little bit. Ionized resin is the way to go.

t. water filter salesman

i'm not Alex Jones, i promise.

Pic related?

seecomplete waste of money

Please tell me your not one of these guys

youtube.com/watch?v=hFuIUvBdoE4

Isn't distilled water really bad for you?

lol no man i do commercial/industrial stuff, not go into people's homes and scam them out of cash

Just had to make sure man.

That being said, we have a cabin with well water. We did a water analysis and it turned out there were E. Coli or gut bacteria in it. Apparently just traces but we've been boiling the water ever since.

What kind of filter should we get to remove potential bacteria, if it's even possible?

oof well a reverse osmosis filter would work, but to get one powerful enough to sustain a reservoir for an entire household would be really expensive. i wouldn't trust a simple resin filter for that. idk man gtfo out of that cabin

same with this guy but I have Giardia lamblia and E histolytica in my well water

still reverse osmosis, that's pretty much the most effective water treatment out there

So what do you do, boil all your water, even for baths?

thanks man im gonna read up on reverse osmosis filters now
we supposedly got a filter system but that thing is older than me so i want to change it

change it immediately dude, no matter what type of media you have inside that thing, if it's more than 7-10 years old it is spent. i mean like ASAP. life-threatening bacteria ain't nothing to fuck with.

Also i did a little research and you can find 1000 gallon per day RO systems for $2000-$3000. Don't know how often you have to change the filters though.

>if it's more than 7-10 years old it is spent
worse its actually cold war era water filter possibly vietnam war but according to my sister in law theyve been maintaining the parts

>research

i mean google

that's great and it's really important to keep up with the mechanics, but it's really all about the media inside, that's what the water passes through. at this point you would be better off running your water through an old gym sock.

look, go here: softenerparts.com/Resin_Carbon_other_Media_s/24.htm

and buy the High Capacity Cation Softening Resin (top left, picture of a gold colored pile of silica beads, $120) . they even have a guide to show you how to replace it. you should be able to unscrew the head on whatever type of unit you have, dump out the old stuff and replace it with this. it isn't perfect but it's a helluva lot better than what you got.

and it'll make your skin softer too

You want one of these: amazon.com/dp/B001DVW0PI/ref=asc_df_B001DVW0PI4920524/
Should cost about $38. Order from Home Depot or WalMart if Amazon jacks up the price or you would need to pay shipping.

Installation is easy, swapping filters doesn't dump water all over the floor, and the unlike those faucet mount things or the pitchers, and the filters last a long time (2000 gal, 6mo for a typical household, but since I'm a foreveralone I just swap it once a year).

Standard filter: NSF certified standard 42 for reducing chlorine taste and odor. ~$16
Advanced: Above plus NSF 53 (microbial cysts) ~$26
Max: Above plus manufacturer claimed reduction of lead. ~$33, life is only 1500 gal.

The system fits any of the three filters, but be aware that the Advanced and Max filters are a few inches longer.

It might be cost effective to order the system that comes with the more expensive filter, which will almost certainly fix your problem, and then try ordering the standard filter a year later and see if it's okay. If the cheaper filter isn't good enough you're out $16.

Listen, I appreciate what you're trying to do for well user, but you are misguided.

Yeah, the media in his softener is probably spent and needs replacing. But ion exchange resins ONLY remove magnesium, calcium, and metals like copper, lead, or cadmium.

They don't do shit for e. coli.

>Currently, there is no filter certified to remove bacteria from water.
Source: US CDC
cdc.gov/healthywater/drinking/private/wells/disease/e_coli.html

For E. Coli, you can disinfect the well and house water system according to these directions. Basically you bleach the well and your pipes for 12 hours and then flush it out.
waterandhealth.org/newsletter/private_wells.html

For Giardia and E histolytica, a properly maintained NSF 53 certified filter is sufficient.

thanks user

Thanks for all this info guys

>Carbon filters, like (((Pur))) are a meme that mainly remove chlorine and soften the water a little bit

"Despite this heavy concentration, the PUR was able to reduce the lead levels by 97 percent to 0.073 mg/L. That is still seven times higher than the NSF Standard 53 requirement of 0.010 mg/L, but it’s way down from the highly elevated starting point."

If my water had so much lead that this was a serious concern, I'd be buying distilled water at the store, but point being your antisemitism is only matched by your ignorance.

You're probably thinking of Brita brand filters which aren't very effective at anything other than changing the flavor

Appreciate it man, very useful.

Brita in particular isn't good, but there are some perfectly good pitcher systems as long as you're not dealing with Iraq levels of anthrax/uranium/etc

>fill 3 liter bottle with tap water
>put it in freezer for a day
>put it in fridge for it to turn back to water
crystal clear water, no filter needed