>hot pan
>olive oil
>wait until said oil is hot and start sizzling
>put chicken breast in
>nice, everything looks good
>let maillard effect do it's job on one side
>flip the meat, repeat on other side
>...

Ended up with nice colored meat on both sides... and absolutely undercooked inside (60 degrees at very best, which isn't acceptable for consumption, in my book, for "commercial" white meat).

What's the culprit here ? If i waited a bit more for the meat to cook on one side (or both) the meat would've been most certainly overcooked, or at least start turning blackish. I can't seems to grasp the sear concept, is this because i'm running electric and not gaz ? I'm sick of having good looking meat in appearance that turns out being undercooked inside.

sous vide

Not before i can cook properly in a pan.

Searing is intended to cook the outside quickly to "lock" everything in. It's not meant to cook thoroughly.
Sear it and throw it under the broiler for 10 minutes, otherwise turn down the heat in your pan.

You're using a carbon steel pan if I understood correctly, so it can go straight into the oven to finish cooking inside. That's what any proper cook would do in that situation

Carbon steel indeed.
>Searing is intended to cook the outside quickly to "lock" everything in. It's not meant to cook thoroughly.
Yeah, that's what i understood so far. But i don't get how, with electric, you can get a nice sear (which always implies high, and quick, exposition to heat) and nicely cooked meat inside. Since electric has quite the delay to reduce heat.

Probably too thick, you should cut them down the middle for slimmer pieces

stick it in the oven for 10 minutes

Use more oil, also
>olive oil
>for chicken breast
nigga wtf u doing

Either spend the extra time, or if you aren't cooking too many other dishes, prep another burner on a lower temp and switch it over after you seared.

What, olive oil should be fine until 180c, that's enough.
>prep another burner on a lower temp and switch it over after you seared
That's actually quite the good idea.

You can use olive oil for anything desu

I get thinly sliced breasts and it works for me

meat mallet, and consistently smush meat into the pan while you're cooking

Try butterflying them that's what I do. Always cooks well enough when it's that thin.

>electric has quite the delay to reduce heat
Use two burners, stupid.

No you can't fucking anglohipster faggot shit

Use a lower heat, it's that simple. You use high heat when you just want a sear but don't want to cook the meat, e.g. beef for a stew.

You can, unless you are an Anglo.

Lmao learn to cook nerd

>Lmao
Fuck off normie.

If a normie can cook better than you then you've got some real problems, famalam.

This is probably sacrilege knowing you pedantic fucks, but I literally did this today (in a griddle pan not frying pan but still)

Bash the fuck out of it until it's of uniform thickness with one of these BEFORE cooking.

Somewhere around 1-2cm thick as long as its that thickness all over.

That's done for chicken picatta and other pan chicken dishes you don't finish in the oven desu

You don't need a meme hammer for it either.
If your breasts are thicc and you're not butterflying them and you're finishing them completely in the pan, you really need to bash them out. Cover in a layer of plastic wrap and just punch them down a bit.

But, I am giggling a bit at the OP who can't work out that if he wanted a less severe temperature differential he should have used a lower heat.

I use a rubber mallet but what this user says will work too

Rolling pin also works just fine

butterfly it silly
keeps the chicken moist too because it cooks so quickly

Butterfly your chicken breast.