Beginner's Resources

There's no sticky with resources for beginners and that should probably be remedied, but in the meantime what cookbooks, forums, or other resources would you recommend for a complete noob? I'm looking to get into Italian, Korean, Thai, and Japanese cuisine, but primers on cooking in general would be equally helpful.

Really? Nobody gives a shit about getting new people into this hobby?

chef john, foodwishes.com
also, the food lab if you're getting a little more serious
the best advice is stand facing the stove and trust your nose and your taste for when things are finished.

I used to try to help when questions like these were posted, but I got angry defensive replies like OMG YOU EXPECT ME TO HANDLE RAW MEAT AND READ A RECIPE AND TURN ON A STOVE? GTFO WITH UR ELITISM SPOON FEED ME WITH 20 YEAR OLD YOUTUBE GIRLS WITH TOO MUCH MAKEUP DOING THE BOXXY ROUTINE IN FRONT OF A STAND MIXER

I'm sure anyone on Veeky Forums with a genuine interest in cooking has had a similar experience. The reason kids these days are afraid to learn is that they're accustomed to having the motivation itself implanted in them from an external algorithm

So needless to say the idea of cracking open Joy of Cooking or a Julia Child cookbook strikes them as hopelessly antiquated and something a mean baby boomer would try to trick them into doing, you're not my real dad!

Not faggots like you bitchboy

I own Julia Child's art of french cooking and Joy.

That being said, they're INCREDIBLY intimidating for someone who knows nothing about cooking. I use them as a resource for recipes but I understand what the dishes are supposed to look and taste like and how the various ingredients cook up. Many times it's just a question of people who get overwhelmed by how much they don't know.

That said, once you have some basics under your belt absolutely Joy and and Childs' books are incredible resources.

>There's no sticky with resources for beginners and that should probably be remedied
Nope. No one has ever agreed on anything around here. Shitposting threads stay up regularly, and mods and jannies don't give any fucks. So there will never be a sticky on this board as long as it exists.

whoops, typing fast means no proof reading.

*Joy and Child's books

Thank you.

Well damn. I'm sorry you've had to deal with those retards, I helped my mom make meatloaf and remove turkey guts when I was a wee lad, I'm not squeamish. The reason I'm asking here instead of just trawling the internet looking for a cookbook is because when I do that I get shitloads of "sponsored content" and blatant advertisement instead of something recommended on its actual merit.

>Julia Child's books and the Joy of Cooking are great
Good to know.

You should get a janitor from Veeky Forums or something, their sticky is a goddamn monument.

No they're not, I learned to cook from reading those when I was in elementary school

They only seem "incredibly intimidating" because people expect cooking to be a video game where there's a save point and there are zero physical consequences from making a mistake

LIFE IS NOT A VIDEO GAME, eat your mistakes and learn from them

Goddamm millennials

If anyone still cares to answer a question, would you recommend the original Joy of Cooking or the 75th anniversary edition?

The food lab is good for a little more serious stuff and is nice because they tell you why they're doing things and why they work. Americas test kitchen is similar. If you want a dessert version of that check out Bravetart.

Jacques Pepin's complete techniques is also a fantastic resource if revisit often.

As far as the cuisines you asked for, Marcella Hazan is good for Italian food.

>WAHHH WHY WON'T YOU SPOONFEED ME

Seriously, fuck off.
Everything about food, from ingredients, tastes, tools, methods, is culture specific. There's no way to have a sticky here.

Honestly I learned to cook just finding a recipe for a specific dish and then going from there. You can use that to work on how to chop and dice ingredients, figure out what spices taste like and then imagine what they'd taste like together.

>motivation itself implanted in them from an external algorithm

topkek

>whole chicken
>$0.37

>no way to have a cooking sticky

I disagree. It could mention the basic techniques that all main dishes use, in every culture: frying, braising, steaming, grilling, roasting, stewing, smoking. It could describe sauteeing. Once you have those techniques, it's a matter of spicing and timing. You can cook anything, once you know those things. Sure, you can't cover baking in a sticky, but you can get people informed enough to make main dishes and they can go from there.

Not that guy but it still seems like you could put up something with the very basics of what equipment to have, what meme kitchenware not to buy, what ingredients are going to be used 90% of the time and what goes well with those (spices and ingredients associations with different kinds of meats), possibly even a few recipes to get started.

I really can't see how there's "no way to have a sticky here". It's not like Veeky Forums is a culturally all encompassing marvel of a website, it's pretty open but it's basically mostly western culture (the weaboo shit is, as the name implies, for westerners who are into eastern cultures)

>there's no way to illustrate each of those things + the bare basics
WAHHH

I have the original my mum gave me, and it got me started on lots of stuff. But, honestly, I mostly looked at recipes online and then when I didn't know how to do something in the recipe, I just looked that up specifically. Cookbooks are a little dated.

We've been over this
>the very basics of what equipment to have, what meme kitchenware not to buy
Retards will just say "use ur cast iron pan and chinese cleaver for everything" and since cast iron shitlords are the loudest of the loudposters reasonable people will be drowned out.
>what ingredients are going to be used 90% of the time
The whites will say tendies and ranch and diet faygo. Asians will say buy a fifty pound bag of rice and a $300 zojirushi. Blacks will say blow all your money on hot sauce. The aussie shitposters will say kangaroo meat and australian toaster biscuits. This would never work.

The reason I'm looking into cookbooks instead of just a specific recipe is because I've fucked up my attempts at penne rosa too many times and been unable to determine why. I figure I must be missing some foundational information about how to treat the ingredients. The chicken comes out rubbery and bad tasting, the sauce is too thin and has a weak flavor, and the mushrooms likewise don't have a strong taste. I've learned through google that the chicken is probably turning out the way it is because I'm thawing it rapidly, but that doesn't explain the rest of it.

I've had great luck watching Food Wishes videos on YouTube. He has a combination of video tutorials with his blog, and so you can easily follow along plus get everything prepped easily.

Whenever I follow typical recipe.com type shit, the results vary greatly. Some of that I'd put on me making mistakes or being inexperienced, but not all of it. Try Food Wishes, and see if something there comes out how you expect.

Thanks, I'll check that out.

>Veeky Forums

This guy is from Veeky Forums. Don't bother helping. Move along, folks.

I'm not saying the sticky needs to command people to do or not do certain things, its goal is to inform the readers about their options

not even going to get into what you said about the food itself, I highly doubt this would happen and it's not even the point. Preference will still apply beyond the basics, but some techniques are used by every cook out there. Just like onions are going to be in pretty much anyone's kitchen (not just that but you get my meaning).

stickies are for redditors

Does anybody know how much ginger is 3 grams? I started putting it on my tea and it's pretty nice, but I read 3gr is the recommended daily intake and it seems not even the internet knows how fucking much it actually is. I just scratch some with a knife to make sure I'm not exceeding said amount.

get a kitchen scale retard

My local Noodles & Company just shut down. I only went there once, and it was pretty bad.

Fuck noodles and company
They take shortcuts in their kitchen that's absolutely disgusting. I've had my food served on dirty bowls before.

Well shit, I had one at my college (2004-2008), and it was always quality and good. Sucks to see it has gotten to be shit.

I had one around that time and it was shit then

For what it's worth, I went back to my shit little college town and ate at the bar. Same shit, tasted exactly the same but guess what. It was shit all along, I was just so fucking poor and hungry all the time that it tasted amazing to me under those circumstances.

Kind of explains a lot about Veeky Forums's fascination with fast food, yes?

Ah, yeah, that makes sense. I was broke in college and Noodles and Co was a treat. Now I'm living comfortable and never eat fast food.