I recently started using blue apron and would like to hear other people's opinions on it

I recently started using blue apron and would like to hear other people's opinions on it.
I am a huge fan for 3 reasons:

CONVENIENCE
>Delivered right to my door.
>Engineering student so time is a commodity. I can spend less time scouring the grocery store for meme ingredients.
>They basically pick what I'm having for dinner, so I don't need to worry. Some recipes have had food items that I hate, but have surprisingly turned out really good.

FOOD QUALITY
>Healthy options.
>Portioned well.
>Food quality itself looks really good.

FUN
>How do I into cooking?
>Extremely well written recipes that you can hold onto and make at any time
>Helps me learn GMP's for cooking.

The only disadvantage I can think of is it's a little pricey, but it incentives me to not dine out all the time (which is even more expensive).

What do you think Veeky Forums? Is it worth the money? Are there better alternatives?

Never tried it, the price is too high.

It's pretty great. You can't compare the per-meal price to the bulk price of the same ingredients at a grocery store, shit doesn't work like that. I wouldn't say the ingredients are amazing but they're good enough and I'm moderately orthorexic.

I haven't tried any of the alternatives because this works fine.

Obviously if you are a broke ass NEET, it's going to seem crazy compared to making a giant pot of stew with TVP, onions, whatever vegetables are on sale, and salt.

It was great and I enjoyed cooking great meals. I wish someone would make one where all ingredients are pre-cut/sliced/chopped.

I also wish they'd make it for one person, since I'm not a fan of leftovers, or make another recipe with the same ingrediants so I get 6 meals for the same price.

>paying someone else to decide your dinner for you but you still have to make it
>being this much of a numale

Saw an ad for this on Facebook offering three free meals to start. Went to sign up and it wants to charge me $30 for those "free" meals. Wtf?

>100% tip

where the fuck do you live

Also wondering about this, I just want my 3 free meals.

Holy shit I've never seen more blatant shilling

whoever made this needs to be tied to a pole and left in the desert.

Most people here are NEET and can't afford to pay for convenience, if there was shilling going on you'd see referral codes all over the place like we used to see with those mail-order nuts in a box subscriptions aimed at dumb college students

>whole chicken: 0.37
topkek

>saffron: 3c
>cucumber: $5.75

Buy an ad you shilling faggots.

>hundreds of threads a week discussing poor people stuff
>definitely not an ad!
>one thread a month about a thing that middle class people might find interesting
>ZOMG SHILLS
You're delusional

>The only disadvantage I can think of is it's a little pricey

There is literally no advantage to this shitty scam, especially with businesses like Instacart popping up now that can do all your shopping for you without ripping you off.

The only reason I could think for someone to use Blue Apron is if they are so completely unimaginative they can't decide on something they would enjoy eating, therefore they need someone else to tell them what to cook.

this is sad fucking attempt at shilling

Does instacart let you order one green onion at the pro-rated price of a huge cluster of them?

Do they let you get say, an ounce of tamari prorated? 15 grams of black sesame? Four cherry tomatoes? Can I put together a meal based on small amounts of single-use ingredients with instacart?

If so I will ditch BA in a heartbeat.

yes

You had me for a second. I looked it up and you lied. Asshole.

Blue Apron makes a nice gift.
I don't think I would ever buy it for myself.

Yeah lmao. This kept me from ordering my first shipment for like a month until I realized that each "meal" is 2 portions so they count it as 6 meals total. 3 meals free means half off.
Pretty shit way of advertising.

Ayy I've got some free meals if niggas want them. Im sure they're still going to force you to make an account and subscribe and stuff, but I have no one else to give them to.

jesus this is a sad ass shill attempt.

Also

>student
>can afford blue fucking apron

No one cares about gay nu-male """products"""" that are literally shilled on podcasts and other nonsense you retarded faggot.

>too poor to afford an ad
>can afford the $0 to hire an intern to shitpost on Veeky Forums

>$200M in venture funding last year
>2016 revenue: $800M
>expected to break the $1B mark this year
>IPO expected soon
Pretty sure they don't give a shit about your NEETbux, pepe. Turn off adblock for once, you'll notice the only people getting profit from this place are fleshlight vendors and chinese vape kit dealers

Thank you for proving that you are a shill for BA.

see
kys

Feel free to report and the hall monitor can take care of my wrong opinions. Then I get another 30 day ban and all my posts get deleted, and we can go back to our regularly scheduled jackposting and joey threads and arguing about whether sushi is a meme

Sorry I should have put a warning as the subject of this thread
"NO POOR PEOPLE ALLOWED"
Blue Apron is a luxury service and is not actually worth the price, we get it, move on.

That sounds better than some nu-male faggot being paid pennies to shill a "service" that nobody asked for.

People who waste their money tend to be poor and BA is a giant waste of money. Really makes one think...

Also kill yourself, nobody cares what you have to say (obviously)

>saying "nu-male" unironically
>but I'm totally not poor!
A likely story, go back to /pol/ and whine about the janitor who stole your jerrb

"poor" i.e. why won't people spend their money on my retarded and useless service?

>implying anyone here actually cooks

>implying anyone who actually does cook would use this pointless roundabout system to buy their food while also paying 300% overhead

Awww, did I touch a nerve? Only an estrogen-riddled cuck would waste money on a "service" as inane as BA in the first place. Just because you have buyer's remorse doesn't mean you get to shit up Veeky Forums and shill for you.

>g-go b-back t-t-t-to /pol/!
Nice boogeyman sweetie, I only browse Veeky Forums, /m/, /k/, Veeky Forums and /out/ but it sounds like you belong on /pol/ yourself since you're so obsessed with them.

Fuck off with this shill thread for the the tenth time

These premade delivered meals are all shit and overpriced.

I can at least somewhat understand the already prepared ones but these kinds literally just send you groceries.

You have to be a special kind of retarded to think you couldn't just go to the grocery store and get the same things cheapet

>$30 for 3 meal
no thx

For me it's unironically the mcchicken and soylent, the cheapest lazy way to eat.

So let me get this straight... You've got time to cook, but not enough time to go to the store.

So you pay a shitload of money to have somebody deliver uncooked ingredients to your house for individual meals that won't generate any leftovers, AND you still have to go to the store to get the stuff to cover the other 2 meals of the day?

Is it really that hard to plan dinner? Sweet jesus, the amount of packaging alone on this must be insane.

>calling someone "pepe"
yeah, you're a confirmed shill.

I worked in a mailbox place for a while and one of our customers started getting BA. But they never picked up their fucking boxes on time and half of the packages seemed to contain fish or chicken. So after 2 days, it would thaw out and start to smell up the store. We would always call them the first day it arrived but fuckers would never come get it.

Bump

% tip
This has to be a meme

not gonna judge, its better than eating fastfood.
But it obviously isnt the right thing for people that want to learn how to cook or already know how to cook. Cooking this kind of thing doesnt teach you a lot,you dont build up a pantry and it generally does very little to further your cooking skills

I've been cooking for longer than you've been alive though. Eating at home is more cozy than eating out and delivered food is soggy and takes too long. With BA I'm eating dinner half an hour after I get home and it's cheaper than delivery

I tried it with one of those half off podcast deals. It was alright. Could be good for helping people try new things. Just be sure to cancel that shit the second it ships, because it's one of those services.

>Delivered right to my door.
not like you go to the grocery store or anything
>Engineering student so time is a commodity. I can spend less time scouring the grocery store for meme ingredients.
not like there are signs and guides how to find a specific thing
>They basically pick what I'm having for dinner, so I don't need to worry. Some recipes have had food items that I hate, but have surprisingly turned out really good.
post purchase rationalization

>Healthy options.
anything edible is by definition healthy
>Portioned well.
whether you eat something to unhealthy limits is up to you
>Food quality itself looks really good.
it looks average
verdict: drop out, the world doesn't need clinically retarded engineers

What a Doug response

>I've been cooking for longer than you've been alive though
My grandmother keeps rotten meat in the fridge and doesn't notice. Chances are she's been cooking longer than you've been alive too. What's your point?

> delivered food is soggy and takes too long
I too am upset by soggy wonton soup. Like fuck how hard is it to make a good crunchy soup?

>With BA I'm eating dinner half an hour after I get home
Yeah, when I get home from the store I always hide my groceries too. It usually takes me a few hours to find them, but that's part of the cooking experience.

>and it's cheaper than delivery
Chinese place delivers on a minimum order of 10$. That's 3 quarts of soggy ass wontons.

My point is that you're struggling to find reasons why BA should appeal to nobody despite rapid growth not just for BA but also its competitors

Not everyone is you and not everyone is your grandma

embarrassing

It's the same thing as fad diets and all the other heavily marketed crap aimed at women who are too stupid to do cost benefit analysis or think rationally about why they shouldn't listen to hyped marketing BS. So yeah, they're having great success because women love to fall for any old line of crap that helps separate them from their cash.

All I'm doing is pointing out how much of a sap you are. People also throw millions away on kickstarter scams, but by your metric those must be great.

Some kickstarter items are ok, some aren't. Much like the internet in general. If you're unable to tell the difference between value and no value, you're better off staying off. If you are able to exercise common sense, there's plenty of great stuff on the internet. In your case, I recommend staying off.

Only an unimaginative idiot with too much cash would think Blue Apron was amazing.

Hmmm, I wonder who paid for this post...

Anyway, it's $60/week is expensive as fuck. Might as well go to a restaurant and have them cook for you.

But a restaurant costs more than that, and that's before you even include the price of drinks

Also the wine list at a place that cheap would be pretty small and terrible

Restaurants also cook, clean, and serve you; as well as typically giving you a large enough portion so you have some to take home if you want.

> that's before you even include the price of drinks

Oh, I didnt realize BA included a wine pairing with their boxes?

> typically giving you a large enough portion so you have some to take home if you want.

Stop being fat

>Oh, I didnt realize BA included a wine pairing with their boxes?

I assume you're joking, but I think they tried this but it was ass. In any case even if it wasn't ass (which it is) wine delivery doesn't solve the same problem as meal delivery, which is freshness and quantity. I can stockpile wine at home, I can't stockpile a year's worth of one-off perishable ingredients at home

if we are stricktly talking numbers its $60 a week for 2, thats much cheaper even if only 3 days a week.

if you are alone you can do it one day and save for the next day. only left sunday for cooking.

this might just be a good way to start cooking independently as well.

At $10/serving, it's almost identical to the cost of going to a restaurant.
It's also not even worth it for feeding two people, $60 is an entire weeks worth of groceries for 3 meals a day for two people. Not just 3 meals total.

>would like to hear other people's opinions on it.

Sounds awful to me:
1) Expensive
2) I want to pick out my own meat and produce; I don't trust a random person to select the best pieces to put in the box. If you visit a butcher counter and look at the meat, for example, you will see that some pieces are better marbled that others, some have more or less fat than others, etc. I want to pick the best piece, not get stuck with what the company decides to send me. Same with veggies.
3) Where's the benefit, exactly? Recipes? I already know a fuckload from memory, and if I don't I can easily look one up in a cookbook or with Google.

>At $10/serving, it's almost identical to the cost of going to a restaurant.
Maybe the olive garden, nothing remotely edible

>Stop being fat

Please explain how eating a reasonable portion at a restaurant and taking the rest home to save and eat later makes me fat?

>I think they tried this but it was ass

probably because they charged an extra twenty bucks for two glasses of mid-grade wine

>I can stockpile wine at home, I can't stockpile a year's worth of one-off perishable ingredients at home

No, but you can stockpile a weeks worth of perishables in your fridge, see: leftovers. Something which BA seems to lack, yet makes up for by charging a weeks worth of food for one meal that you have to cook yourself anyway.

1. Not really
2. You're not getting dry aged prime steaks at $10 a meal. Stop pretending muh marbling matters for this kind of cooking. As for veggies, I have yet to receive a single meal where the veggies were unacceptable, and I'm pretty picky when I pick my vegetables at the store. I'd suggest you try it before running your mouth off, but I'm just a shill, why should you believe me.
3. Not having to choose between buying mormon-size portions of one-off ingredients and being a crazy hoarder, or eating the same repetitive ingredients over and over, or throwing stuff out. You're obviously accustomed to doing things a certain way, so you're in turn accustomed to making do with the same ingredients over and over, but it's refreshing not to be stuck with that. I now expect you to stamp your feet and wail about how you're a better person than me because you don't mind using the same ingredients over and over, it's the combos or some shit. And that's fine. You need to win on the internet. I get it.

>Please explain how eating a reasonable portion at a restaurant and taking the rest home to save and eat later makes me fat?
Try to deal with jokes, spergy. In any case restaurants that blast you with an excess of food are not the kinds of places I go to
>probably because they charged an extra twenty bucks for two glasses of mid-grade wine
A bottle is not two glasses, bud.
>No, but you can stockpile a weeks worth of perishables in your fridge
Sure, if you don't mind eating the same shit over and over.
>Something which BA seems to lack, yet makes up for by charging a weeks worth of food for one meal that you have to cook yourself anyway.
And in return, you get variety. Which is the whole point, despite your quixotic belief that it's to "teach me how to cook" or some weird thing like that. I've got an 8 quart staub cocotte, I can make a tremendous amount of one thing over the weekend if I don't mind eating that all week. But I do mind it. You don't, and that's fine.

You don't have to cook the same meal over and over again if you have a variety of perishables and spices in your fridge and pantry.

Then again, you do have to know how to cook and have an imagination, maybe these are some life skills you could work on.

>mormon-size portions

Have you even been in a grocery store before? You do realize you can buy produce based on weight - meaning if you wanted to make some salsa you can just buy one tomato, one onion, a jalapeno and a handful of cilantro.

The only place where this might be an issue is if you only shopped at Costco, which is even cheaper due to buying things in bulk.

>You do realize you can buy produce based on weight
Some produce. You can't buy one green onion, or a few leaves of mint. You can't buy 15 grams of some random korean fermented fish paste or 10 grams of some random french mustard or those sorts of things.

Some stores, like Whole Foods, have remarkably good selections of grains and seeds, so for stuff like that, BA doesn't have any particular advantage. But plenty of times I've walked into WF and found that, say, the farro bin is empty and the restocking guy is nowhere to be found. Or they're out of some relatively common but critical herb. Whelp there goes that recipe guess I have to change my plan while the rush hour crowd is pushing past me and I'm trying to use google on my phone like a chump. Now insult me and say I should have it in my head. More insults. That's all you can manage.

1) Yes really. For the same ingredients it's more expensive than my local supermarket costs (I've checked). And compared to buying what's in-season and/or on sale it's a LOT more expensive. If you buy in bulk and use up or save the leftovers then it's far far far more expensive.

2) I wasn't talking about expensive shit like dry-aged steaks. I'm talking basic stuff. For example, yesterday I bought a chuck roast for braising. My supermarket had several of them out in the meat case. Most of them had massive chunks of fat in them or otherwise weren't all that nice. Two of them, however, looked perfect. By shopping myself I get to make sure I get a good one. If I let random chance decide then I'd probably end up with one of the less-than-ideal ones. I'm not suggesting that BA and similar services will sell you food that's rotten or otherwise inedible, it's just less than ideal. And the combination of less-than-ideal and expensive fucking sucks.

3) That problem is all in your head. I cook many types of things from a variety of cuisines. Many of the spices, etc, are things that I don't use on a daily or even a weekly basis. But that said I have never had a problem using them up before they went bad. I hate eating the same foods day-after-day. But that's not really a concern. If you end up with an oddball ingredient then half the fun is learning other new recipes that can also use it, or improvising with putting it in other areas.

>>I now expect you to stamp your feet....
Why? OP asked for opinions, and I provided mine. It's as simple as that. There is no argument here, just me answering OP's question. I'm not sure why you felt compelled to reply.

blue apron is for people who look at a 2oz bottle of coriander and think
>how would I ever use up all of that?

>Some produce. You can't buy one green onion, or a few leaves of mint.

Green onions are dirt cheap. Less than 50 cents a bundle. Who cares if you don't use the whole bundle up? And furthermore, green onions are super common in many kinds of cooking. Surely you can find something to put them in before they go bad. I buy several bundles every time I go shopping without even bothering to plan what I'm going to use them for--they can go in so many things it's silly. And yeah, you can buy just a few mint leaves.

>>You can't buy 15 grams of some random korean fermented fish paste or 10 grams of some random french mustard or those sorts of things.

You're right. But unless you are seriously lacking in the creativity department you will surely find other uses for those things. Shrimp paste can add a savory flavor to nearly anything. Sub it for the anchovy the next time you make a stew, braised red meat, or a meat-based pasta sauce. Add to pretty much any kind of stir-fry. Mustard? Lol, have it on the side the next time you roast some beef. Put it on a sandwich. Make deviled eggs, potato salad, make a vinigarette dressing...a dipping sauce for your tendies....

>whole chicken
>0.37

hmmm

>You can't buy one green onion, or a few leaves of mint. You can't buy 15 grams of some random korean fermented fish paste or 10 grams of some random french mustard or those sorts of things.

You can buy a couple sprigs of mint for about a dollar, same for the green onions. In all honesty, if you can't think of a way to use that up in the next couple weeks that's pretty unimaginative, but you can always stick it in your freezer if you're that desperate not to eat "a tremendous amount of one thing all week."

Salads are my go to for using up herbs, green onions can be thrown into any stir fry or as a garnish on the majority of cooked meals; they are great in omelettes.

Things like mustard and fermented foods (fish sauce) historically came to be specifically because of their shelf life, which is multiple years. I don't see any issue with buying a bottle, especially if your going to pay the same price for a one-time use with BA.

>Whelp there goes that recipe guess I have to change my plan while the rush hour crowd is pushing past me and I'm trying to use google on my phone like a chump.

Great anecdote, bruh. I guess you've convinced me, here I was cooking food like a normal person when I could have been paying 4x the amount to get ripped off by a ridiculously unnecessary service.