Is sous vide a meme?

thinking about hopping on the sous vide ride

anyone have experiences/delicious recipes/preferred brand?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=343HWk3L6pY
anyforums.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

youtube.com/watch?v=343HWk3L6pY

Seems like a lot of money to pay for specialized equipment when you can cook food well with cheaper tools, so I haven;y tried it.

Depends on how much you are going to use it. I'm a Veeky Forums faggot so I use it for what IMO it's best for, lean meats. I probably use it 4-5 times a week and I got it on special, so for me it was a solid purchase. It's amazing for chicken breast, pork tenderloin, cheap steaks, etc.

>I'm a Veeky Forums faggot

It's as easy as spotting the vegans...

pls go
op, boiling food in a plastic bag is for faggots. just learn how to cook food like a normal human being. if you want to eat food that was cooked in a plastic bag there are tons of microwave dishes in the frozen section.

It's fucking fantastic, just buy one. The Anova is a perfect choice.

Good for restaurants. Unless you want to shell out 3k for a good unit, you're going to be stuck with shitty $300 units only capable of doing one steak at a time.

This.

$0.00000000000001 has been deposited into your account

Basically, the emperor has no clothes. This is a stupid fucking bullshit idea that people use for a half dozen times before realizing its bullshit and giving up on it and shelving it.

The outcome is about as good as said. You might as well pick up some par-bag-boiled shit out of the freezer section and reheat it.

But no one that spent several hundred dollars on one of these machines and the vacuum bagging BS will ever admit it. Because then they would look stupid for wasting hundreds of dollars.

But they'll flame me for pointing out their stupidity now.. so this should be fun to watch.,

> just learn how to cook food like a normal human being
Of course I already do, the appeal is the perfect temperature throughout the meat.
all the juices are intact within the meat, no shrinkage
which brand do you use

It's fine dude, you just don't really know what you're talking about.
Sous vide is a niche technique to do niche shit. If you're into it OP go for it, and get the Anova as the other user said. The bagging system is the thing you wanna spend more money on, if possible. Some of those cheaper vacs, and handheld things they have out there fucking suck. Yeah you can do the water displacement zip lock route, but the compression of a good vac makes a difference. I did a few eggs for a quick ramen last night sous vide, 2ez. Mostly though, unless you're already a well rounded homecook, I'd say its a waste of time. But I don't know why you're asking for advice on a Montenegrin spear-fishing imageboard.

I got an Anova about a year and a half ago for $100, not sure if there are better ones now or not. I don't think any of these other people have actually used one because they can definitely do more than one steak (I did an entire pork shoulder in my apartment), they don't cost several hundred dollars, and you aren't boiling anything.

It has some cool uses that you will only use once every few months (like duck confit) but most of the time you will only use it for your basic meats. It's nice to be able to consistently have great results without having to add fat to cooking process.

So if you see yourself cooking meat often I would get it, but if you are getting it to do some of the other stuff, I doubt you will use it as much.

>the appeal is the perfect temperature throughout the meat.

You can do the same thing with a thermo probe a roasting pan with a rack and a low temp oven.

Well.. 99% of the same thing. With the oven your food won't come out of a soggy bag and some people really like that baby food out of a bag texture.

>no no you gotta try this new hot thing we got in the kitchen
>see what you do is cook your food in plastic bags
>yeah you just load up that $18 steak into some plastic and seal er up
>then you dunk it in some lukewarm water that is MOLECULARLY controlled by this $200 plastic heating element from China
>no dude, trust me, it's what all the chefs are doing

You have no idea what you're talking about, go back to your fast food threads.

>frozen fucking chicken
>doesn't show cooking temperature or duration
>uses a heat lamp to lightly char rather than give good maillard browning
>does this on one side only
Yeah, sous vide sure is a shitty technique, I tell you what.

Sous vide is good. Not the best thing ever, but the people in this thread shitting on it are probably just poorfags doing the sour grapes thing.

The biggest utility comes when hosting dinner parties. Throw the steaks in the bag and you can fish them out whenever you're ready. Easier to handle late arrivals, and the only cooking you need to do while your guests are waiting is giving the steaks a quick sear before plating.

sous vide is a meme but it also works

It works. 72 hour short ribs alone make the thing worth $100 bucks

>shitposting on Veeky Forums

Stop. Seriously, go away.

>which brand do you use

This sentence should tell you everything you need to know about sous vide.

Sous vide is awesome. Great for making home made Greek yogurt. Also, once you try a sous vide chicken breast you won't ever want to eat it prepared any other way. I just did an octopus the other day and an awesome pork belly. I think sous vide is overrated for cuts of meat like steak though. You're going to need a vacuum sealer too if u want to get serious about it.

Octopus

So fucking worth it. You cannot fuck up proteins.
Poaches eggs poifectly.
Steak to your exact temperature.
U can add a hard sear to anything without the worry of making your protein too tough.
You can be the laziest and most forgetful person and things come out noice

You should try it. A thermo probe costs a fraction of what a sous vide setup costs and is an infinitely useful tool to have in the kitchen anyway. way more useful than a sous vide setup.

You should give a shot before you go full meme vide.

I have the Anova.

It's excellent for thick steaks, like 1.5 inches. I don't use it for much else, but since good steaks are expensive it's worth it for this use alone.

Guys, Anova or Sous Vide Supreme type machine ? I'm heading towards a Solis one, pic related. I don't like the Anova phone thing.

It's less of a meme than fucking immersion blenders.

You don't need to connect by phone. That sucker eats a lot of counter space. Anova can be tucked away under the sink.

What? They've been around since the 70s and they are objectively the best way to puree a soup, blend sauces, or make mayo.

>everything I don't like is a meme

Please leave.

Sous vide bag cost will start to add up pretty quickly.

>cooking things with memes that can be "tucked underneath the sink"

Shiggy diggity do

Oh, I get it, you're poor.

Run along, junior, and let the grown ups talk

It's the best way to lower your testosterone. Boiling shit in plastic is a terrible idea.

>It didn't melt, it must be safe
>Ignore the xenoestrogens
>Ignore the leaving of other chemicals from the bag

boiling food in plastic sounds fucking retarded - wouldn't chemicals seep into the food? is it all a Jewish trick?

>wouldn't chemicals seep into the food?

No, the temperatures are too low and the plastics used don't leach anything out. Not to mention it's only inside the bag for a very short period of time.

If you want to worry about this, worry about CANNED food. Yes, the can itself is metal, but it has a plastic liner inside it to prevent the can from rusting. Canned food is cooked in the can at a very high temperature to sterilize it, and it sits in the can for months if not years.

For the vast majority of things you can just use a ziploc freezer bag.

You do know you're suppose to sear the food after you sous vide, right? Getting the perfect medium rare throughout is nice, but it's off putting to eat it as is, so you sear the outside to get a nice crisp outer layer, get the maillard reaction, and to get the fragrance. Seriously, the whole point of a sous vide is to get the perfect internal temperature to keep from fucking up a nice cut of meat.

"____ is a meme" people are the worst kind of people. Sous vide heaters are a great tool to have in the toolbox, because they can do one thing very well. I don't love it or hate it, but I'm pleased when i have to cook something like chicken or pork that is prone to undercook, overcook or dry out. That way I can set it and forget it and pay attention to a sauce or vegetables or whatever.

its like screwing in a screw with a drill bit vs a screw gun. "omg screw guns are a meme i can screw in a screw with my drill and a phillips head bit much better" Then you snap a couple heads off or drive a couple screws too deep (aka overcook your food or burn the outside while the inside is still raw) and I'm there with my screw gun, with the clutch set to the exact depth i want the screw to go.

is it necessary? no. is it a nice tool to have in the toolbox? yup.

When doing sous vide with a marinade, do you guys just cook it with the marinade or do you marinade before cooking?

>plastic heating element
It's a bit more complicated than that.

Exactly this. Great for large numbers to minimize fucking shit up.

I've been experimenting with both. I've found sugary marinades to be better discarded before the sous vide bath and boozy marinades are fine to leave in. but we're talking 60/40, not black and white.

Generally you would cook it with the marinade, then wipe off the marinade for your final sear.

Do you never use a large pot? Or a large roaster pan? Are you legit autistic and not allowed near anything more complicated than instant ramen? Or do you burn that too?