Fail

I Just finished doing fried rice, came out like paste. Can any provide some recomendations on what might have gone wrong? FYI, used sushi rice.

Feel free to share your failures

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/QPV0RVmqJf8
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

did you wash the rice before cooking? you Def need to rinse sushi rice in cold water before you cook with it.

Gotta leave that rice in the fridge overnight. Mush happens when you use just-made rice.

rice might not have been dried thoroughly
maybe too much sauce
skillet/wok might not have been hot enough
maybe you fried too much rice at once
too many add ins

one time i tried to make chinese scallion pancakes, used too much water, not enough flour, when i tried to roll out it stuck to everything.

Yes I did. wash it like 3 or 4 times usually.
That does makes sense. Usually it gets hard like that when leaving sushi in the fridge
Guilty of first, 3rd and 4th.

Here is a pic in case you're interested.

I don't agree with this. I have made sushi rolls before with just cooked sushi rice and had no problem. I really think they didn't rinse the rice until water doesn't get cloudy.

I mean, for rolls it's all good. OP is trying to make fried rice though.

1. Use room temperature rice. Not hot or warm.

2. Use a wok (probably don't have one right?) or a wide flat pan. Don't forget to stir a lot.

3. You need much more oil. It's not "fried rice" for no reason

Also when cooking the rice itself don't forget to stir the rice when the rice is done (to get trapped moisture out). You can't really do much with it if the rice turns into cake.

Did not wait for room temperature, ill try that. Did use plenty of oil though

Also to have in mind is that don't put so much water when cooking the rice in the first place.

I want you to use a a wide pan because fried rice has to "breathe."

Your tall pan/pot (?) (don't use pots) looks like it's just cooking something, not actually frying it. In your photo the surface area of the actual cooking area is small. Only the bottom is getting fried while everything else is just warmed.

I see. So then I shall cook less quantity so rice does no get on top of itself

youtu.be/QPV0RVmqJf8

too much water

Use the absorption method instead. Or a rice cooker if you really cant get it right

that looks easy
Ill steam it more next time, was afraid it would stick to the bottom

Use short grain rice
Rinse til water runs clear
Use just enough water to cook
Once cooked, if too wet, take lid off the pot and leave on stove at low heat to burn off some of the water- don't allow pan to scorch though.
Turn rice out onto a plate, cool, cover and refrigerate. Use the next day for fried rice.

I'm guessing it's because the guy making it portioned everything out and did all the food prep beforehand. All he needed to do was to combine everything when it was time to cook.

Did you remember to coat each grain of rice in beaten eggs?

What? When does this has to happen?