/cheese general/ - Veeky Forums's Dedicated Cheese Board

Just bought one of these babies. Although Cheddar is so ubiquitous I still think a really good sharp mature cheddar is one of the best types of cheese.

ITT Post your favourite cheeses.

Cheesespray, Cheesewhip, Macronicheese and any American 'cheese foods' not welcome.

Other urls found in this thread:

cheeseboardcollective.coop/
youtube.com/watch?v=zGBSl5AAfMg
youtube.com/watch?v=QxuXKE0T9PU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

OP bumping his thread with a rare cheese.

Cornish Yarg, a revival from a 17th century recipe is wrapped with stinging nettle leaves. The rind is moldy but edible.

favorite cheese: port salut

>Cheese Board
that's a co-op selling cheeses and pizza in Berkeley
cheeseboardcollective.coop/

I just need to know what Ruby Tuesday's uses for their mac and cheese. I've read copycat recipes but there's gotta be someone on Veeky Forums who used to work there who knows for sure.

I really like Gouda, great robust cheese for slicing and using for sandwiches.

I'm slowly learning to eat more cheese. I got really sick of one as a kid, and that really turned me off of cheese for the longest time.
I can now eat some in food, or combined with something (olives for instance, which is also something I learned to appreciate at a later age).
My favorite so far is well aged cheddar in cheese sauce, and loads of parmeza reggiona with pasta dishes.
I also once had a goat cheese which was baked inside a puff pastry thingy, with some honey, that was pretty great also, but I don't know what exact type of cheese it was.
But eating cheese just by itself is something I can't do (yet). The way it melts and seems to coat the inside of my mouth makes me gag, even if I like the taste, it's really weird.

Salers is god tier,
also : bleu d'auvergne,
beaufort,
cantal,
(good) camembert,
comté,
and some goat cheese

I think feta is my favorite but I also eat cottage cheese a lot. It took a bit to get over the consistency but now I'm used to it.

What's the best way to make Parmesan at home /cg/?

Isn't true parmigiano reggiano really really hard to make? But I guess when in doubt, check out what Gavin has to say about it.

youtube.com/watch?v=zGBSl5AAfMg
youtube.com/watch?v=QxuXKE0T9PU

>Cheddar is so ubiquitous

*Bad* Cheddar is ubiquitous; as you've discovered, good Cheddar is like an entirely different cheese entirely.

>Yarg
>wrapped with stinging nettle leaves

Named after the sound the cheese maker makes as they wrap it.

>general

It's actually named after a woman who's surname was Gray, who gave the recipe to the dairy that originally made it. They just wrote it backwards to sound authentic.
It's inspired by old cornwall/devon cheeses, but I think the modern version is from the 70s. They make an excellent variation with garlic and herbs, thats wrapped in wild garlic leaves.

>cheese thread
At least we won't get any Americans in this one.
Just Jane is dam fine.

How do I into brie? The last kind I had had a very odd aftertaste. Wasn't disgusting but the shit got less tolerable the more I ate it.

Bought some Manchego cheese recently. I really like the flavor, it's kind of soft and nutty and leaves a nice aftertaste. I gave some to my brother-in-law to try and he gagged and said it was disgusting. His reaction to it reminded me of that one woman who ate nothing but cheesy potatoes for 30 years, I could have sworn he was about to cry. Wish I wasn't the only one in my family to like cheese so I could buy more of it.

Don't eat the rind

my favourite is casu marzu

Sweden räpresent!

Västerbotten cheese is fuckin' great

My favorite cheese is Beecher's Flagship. It's a cheese made using the cheddaring process but with cultures of gruyere.

If you are ever in Seattle then you can stop by their shop on Pike Place and get some free samples.

>Seattle
>USA
>cheese
Nope.

Roquefort anyone?

New Zealand cheese is relentlessly shill-worthy. That being said, British cheeses are far superior to French cheeses imo

kek

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Entry level brie is pasteurised
Trve kvlt brie is unpasteurised
Eat something like Delice or mild camembert until you gain the power of ripeness appreciation

Too sweaty for me

Rotten milk fat balls that stink like death as food .... fuck all that shit

Westerners confirmed for pathetic taste

The celebration of what happens when milk goes off big time stylie

My favourite is red leicester, followed by mature cheddar. I don't tend to eat much cheese, though; I have to be in the right mood for it.
Any recommendations for a good strong hard cheese other than mature cheddar?

Also, how do you get hold of cheese curds in the UK?
Not curd cheese; actual cheese curds. I want to make poutine.

Manchego is beautiful. I can never quite understand why the cheese just under the rind has a strange, slightly crunchy/gritty texture to it though.

Dat crystallization. Parmasan and good cheddars are crystally like that too.

That is beautiful.

jealous lactose intolerant asian detected..

enjoy your tasteless tofu for the rest of your rife

Wisconsin 10 year cheddar is waifu

There are soooo many amazing tasting cheeses but smoked gouda is my absolute favorite.

gawwwd the smoked one is so fucking GOAT

i also like rumiano's smoked mozz as well

That stuff is pretty good
They also make it in New York City. I bet that really chaps your hide

It goes extremely well in a creme fraiche sauce for chicken in general also good for any meat

Make curds senpai
>full fat milk
>add lemon juice
>wait to separate
>squeeze out whey through cheese cloth
Also evaporate off some of the water from the whey and git dat protein

This specific stuff is so great man.

As for others I enjoy Riopelle. There's a few French triple creams I can't remember the exact name of that are great. And there's pic attached which I can only find at grocery stores in another area that's absolutely divine, current favourite for sure.

isnt that the same as mozzarella?

Mozzarella's got some other cool shit going on with rennet and stuff. Curd is just the solid part of separated milk

oh bby, this is my place. A sharp chedder is always good. Bleu cheese is nice to add a bit to salads. Squeeky cheese curds are my childhood and I love them.

My favourite too, goppai!

How can there be so many varieties of cheese? At the end of the day it's still curdled milk right?

this is a very silly statement

Various type of Milk, of seasoning, of making -> various cheese

All food and drink is pretty much the same, don't listen to these hipster snobs who pretend to be able to tell the difference in order to impress each other about how sophisticated they are

>bleu cheese

>Veeky Forums - Flavorless Nutrient Slurry

P. Sure Soylent threads are a thing

shit you're right

Fortunately this cheese, while superior to all other cheeses, was declared racist by the ADL and has been genocided

Sweaty as fuck
What is it with French blues and pissing water everywhere?

ur sweaty as fuck you fuckin nerd

yeah :(
also mimolette is based but fuck man try cutting it for a customer when management wants nice neat wedges and the wire breaks every time

Any other weird un-cheesy cheeses like Ghetost? Got some on a whim and it turned out mighty interesting, probably going to shred/slice it up for breakfast sandwiches with toasted cinnamon raisin bread and jam. Bit too sweet and strong to eat more than an ounce at a time without diffusion, though.

As for favorite, maybe I'm biased as shit because it was the first real cheese I tried but for me Jarlsberg rules supreme, stout and sturdy and smooth and provided you can get the label film off the rind's fucking delicious too.

Remove rind, eat rind then brie.
Peel apple, eat peel then apple.
Remove crust, eat crust then bread.

tried to increase the amount I consume after watching some health show saying how the green stuff in the cheese is really good at keeping you in tip top shape or something, some kind of antibiotic.

>They make an excellent variation with garlic and herbs, thats wrapped in wild garlic leaves.
have tried this in Friends of Ham, can confirm it's bloody tasty.

Gunna try deep fry some goats camembert in panko tonight with a raspberry gueze sauce