What's a good Chili Dog?

What's a good Chili Dog?

Other urls found in this thread:

seriouseats.com/recipes/2010/09/chili-for-chili-burgers-dogs-fries-recipe.html.
seriouseats.com/2012/01/taste-test-natural-casing-hot-dogs-from-michigan.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

wienerschnitzel is fine if you don't mind the fact that after unwrapping it, it looks like a hot dog that was vomited on

One that comes from here.

Awhile ago cooks illustrated had a perfect recipe for Detroit style coney chili, I don't have the issue on hand, but Kenji over at serious eats has a recipe, kind of a PIA tbqh, but it approximates it (he used to work at CI): seriouseats.com/recipes/2010/09/chili-for-chili-burgers-dogs-fries-recipe.html. As for dogs, I'm a Chicago boy by way of MI, so I'm partial to natural casing Vienna Beef, but here's a taste test of dogs: seriouseats.com/2012/01/taste-test-natural-casing-hot-dogs-from-michigan.html Hebrew National natural casing are bretty gud if you can't find any of the above in your neck of the woods. Batches of chili dogs don't last long in our family. ( ._.)

exactly what's in your picture. hot dog topped with chili, onions, and mustard. cheese optional.

The best chili dogs are the kind you make yourself. Go find good hotdogs, with natural casings (I recommend Miller's, they use sheep casings and have great snap), and make the "hotdog chili" yourself. Hotdog chili should have a finer texture than regular chili, and no beans or other large chunks, and a rich, meaty, spicy flavor. Then, chop some white onion and give it a quick rinse under cold water (this takes some of strong sulfur smell, what you think of when you cut onions, away) and pat them dry in a paper towel. Next, be sure and use a good yellow mustard, like Beaver brand or even Gulden's. And, I'm not mentioning cheese, because you asked about chili dogs, not chili cheese dogs.

>not using Plochman's
Savage

Plochman's is acceptable. I still prefer Beaver or Gulden's, though. But I'd use Plochman's if those weren't available.

Your posts demonstrate that you know what you are talking about. I will seek this Beaver. Ty.

Mein neger. It's usually not all that packed either when I go so I can just get in and eat.

Good answer.

>mustard
Good taste.

no, OP's dog is WAY to photogenic to be trusted.

nigga please, that shit is horrible.

don't fall for that shit lol.

Ain't no substitute

When ever I go to Houston I always stop here

I just got it out of a google search.

Das beste

Ball Park Beef Franks
Hormel's no bean chili
Frito Lay's Jalapeno Cheddar dip

WA LA!

>make a secret chili recipe
>mask it with raw white onion and mustard
why

>The best chili dogs are the kind you make yourself.

No, you're weird tasting "grandma's home made recipe" are not the best coney dogs, the best are made by professionals.

Well holy shit, I never knew James Coney Island was a Houston based chain.

Guess I should give them another go. Haven't had them since I was a kid.

Fuddrucker's has one of the best chili cheese dogs you can get.

>bun is 10/10, made fresh inhouse every day, buttery as fuck
>weiner is thick, crisp and tasty
>chili is good quality, nothing to write home about, but it's a damn good topping
>topped with not only shredded cheddar cheese, but also, liquid nacho cheese.

Also, their fries are pretty great.

The meal costs like $12 or so (plus tip!), but man, it's wholly worth it. Super satisfying and a huge step above in quality over shit like Sonic or Freddy's.

I live in mississippi and love chili dogs. Is there any hope for me to taste them done right? Sonic's foot long coneys are the best ive ever had.

Horrible abomination for fat Americans.

i munch chili dogs everyday. But I am a rich american. Happy that our country has our boot resting upon the throat of every country in the world. We feast like kings

They're a solid staple and very consistent. It's exceptionally hard to fuck up a chili cheese dog, so there's that.

Try and go to a well regarded diner, they'll most certainly have a good chili cheese dog.

This is weird for me because normally when I eat chili I like to have beans in it. But when I see it on a hotdog I think it looks disgusting with beans. Is this how anti-beaners feel all the time when they look at chili with beans?

I prefer beans in my chili (even as a Texan), and I honestly wouldn't mind if I had beans on my chili cheese dog. That said, I'm fine without them on a chili cheese dog.

I think it all has to do with the application of the chili.

Is it going on top of a hotdog? Yeah, maybe not have beans, that's a little too involved, I get why they're not on there. It's meant to be a sauce or topping, if you would, you need a more liquid consistency.

Is it going to be your main dish? Hell yeah, add beans, it makes it more filling and hearty.

Everything's relative, bruh.

>come to Detroit
>go to Lafayette Coney Island
>order 2 (maybe 3) "with everything"
>plain Coke to drink
>wah lah!

While white onions are traditional and certainly acceptable, I prefer to substitute then with pickled jalapeno slices. Still gives a satisfying crunch while adding some additional heat.