Fellow Gentlemen

Fellow Gentlemen
as someone who lives in the expensive city of New York, currently residing in manhattan around the gramercy area

WHERE THE FUCK CAN I BUY GROCERIES, OR STOCK MY FRIDGE AND PANTRY WITHOUT HAVING TO BLOW 100+DOLLARS

IM NOT ASKING FOR ORGANIC SUPER NATURAL HORMONE FREE SHIT I LITERALLY WANT TO BUY FOOD WITHOUT HAVING TO SPEND 100+ DOLLARS ON MILK MEAT AND BREAD LIKE HOLY FUCK.

i already know about china town but it kinda defeats the savings getting over there and having to cab back.

please give me some guidance.
if you know any places with good prices that deliver even better.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=S5ao0OVJIkQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

You chose to live there why?

>living in an expensive dense concrete city
>literal hell

tell me about it.
gallon of milk,
2 pound of ground beef
some peppers, garlic and lettuce
Total:
38 FUCKING DOLLARS
SDGSKDJFDHASFKJSDFKJDSFHSKJ

are you fucking serious, OP? you live in manhattan near gramcery, every's going to be a little more expensive.

just go to trader joe's. or try the food emporium on 14th, they might be slightly cheaper. if you don't want to be a normal human who carries groceries home, instacart it.

Costco
Bodegas
Korean grocer
Shops in Chinatown

I AM AWARE MY NY FRIEND
ITS WHY I AM MAKING THE THREAD.

please give me some tips and tricks :(

thats actually fucking beatiful

Manhattan has several food delivery services you can use and have delivered to your overly expensive two bedroom apartment.

Otherwise take the Washington to North Jersey and get some real food and then drive it home. Paramus has some good shops.

This. Grocery shopping is actually cheap if you know what you're doing.
>tfw got 5 cartons of fruit for $1 each from a street seller at night because he wanted to clear his inventory

i just did. where you live your options are:
1) trader joe's
2) whole foods
3) food emporium
4) natural food stores
5) bodegas

food emporium is probably the cheapest. get generic stuff, no name-brand items. again, you can order via instacart and have it delivered.

you could also order from fresh direct, but that's gonna be just as expensive since you're paying for a service and delivery.

suck it up. you live in an expensive, trendy-ish neighborhood in manhattan. you're going to pay a premium for all your local goods and services.

i cant wait to get the fuck out of here.
i remember when 20 dollars bought me enough food to make meals for the whole day :(

variety of commerce

it still can. invest in a variety of spices (initial investment is high, but it's worth it because you can use them however the fuck you want.) buy dried goods in bulk (lentils, beans, rice, etc) from whole foods or trader joe's.

also go shopping in chinatown. your "i already know about china town but it kinda defeats the savings getting over there and having to cab back" argument is weak as fuck — take the fucking subway back with your groceries like everyone else, it's like 3 stops.

go the fuck back home to your flyover state. you are too stupid to survive

you can also go to the union square farmer's market at the end of the day when they're starting to pack up and try to haggle down the price of meat or veggies

not even that, here you have queens prices
>bag of potatoes
>2 zuchyny
>galon of milk
>bag of bread
>18 bucks
hehehehehhhe kill me plz

When I lived at my sister's place in Yorkville, I had the same problem. See, she had Yorkville money but back then, I barely had Jamaica, Queens money.
Know what I did? Made friends. I know it's hard to make friends in NY, but try to. This way, you can share carpooling costs to shop together at cheaper supermarkets in Queens or Brooklyn.

If you absolutely must shop in town, there's a Costco and an Aldi at East River Plaza in south Harlem. Wish they existed when I was in NY, but alas: no.
Sorry there ain't much closer.

Last time I went to visit friends in NY, we stopped at TJ's to get some stuff. We were there 2 hours, it was so crowded. After that bullshit, I decided I'd prefer dealing with the college students and low-class nogs at the Aldi in Harlem than the gays and dumb white bitches who shop at TJ's. Fuck TJ's.

West end @ 63 here.

You can afford your neighborhood but are troubled with $400 eating expense per month?

Yeah TJs is full of dumb NYU kids who think putting a box in the microwave is "cooking", I haven't set foot in a TJs in years. They don't even have much real food there, like their fruit selection is "red delicious apples, bananas, and lemons"

But the thing about grocery stores here is there's no middle ground. There's stores for rich people, and there's stores for poor people. Even stores that should be for the middle class, like Gristedes or Key Foods, are fucking gross and are either the same price as the rich people stores, or just don't have anything good, i.e. seem to be catering to the poor. It's cheaper for me to shop at Whole Foods than it is to shop at my neighborhood C-Town, because my neighborhood C-Town jacks up the price on stuff that "white people" buy, like fresh vegetables, cheese that isn't garbage, and so on.

Plus Whole Foods has actual quality control. I've never once come home with spoiled milk from Whole Foods, and I don't have to stand there for 10 minutes for each produce item picking through the damaged and moldy stuff for something edible. Most of these Aldi, C-Town, Gristedes, Garden of Eden, will gladly give you spoiled food if they think you won't notice by the time you're out the door. I've gotten dead shellfish from Fairway. Fuck that shit. Never had a problem at Whole Foods. That, the farmers market, and Eataly are where I get most of my food, aside from Blue Apron.

OP COULD just go into Yonkers or the Bronx at that point, COMPLETELY on the other end of the city though. Also, if he's downtown he really should just take Holland into NJ.

>the farmers market, and Eataly are where I get most of my food, aside from Blue Apron.

$100 per day right there. Confirmed troll.

Not really, where'd you even get that number? It's not like everything I eat is dry aged steaks.

I'm still having trouble how you make ends meet. Your neighborhood although not as "trendy" as it once was a decade ago, isn't niggerfied or chinked to the point of whitey leaving yet. How do you afford this? Your employer doesn't provide sustenance as part of your salary? Nothing adds up about your life.

user why did you choose Manhatten of all places? You kind of did this to yourself choosing such a popular and expensive borough. If you're struggling you should go hunting for a cheaper locale, I'm not trying to be mean but come on, you should have seen this coming. I know the green market in Greenwich can have good deals, I've worked there a few time selling wine.

>nigger nigger fag wop lmao ever had human meat? I bet it would be good
No idea what you're raving about, my neighborhood isn't, has never been, and will never be "trendy", and I'm having no trouble making ends meet. Are you feeling ok?

Is your version if "gramercy" in reality morningside heights, and you're just a strapped college kid tryin'a mayke it?

Come clean friend. I live in west end towers, have us a visit I'll feed you and even give you a microwave dish full of mummy type goodies to leave with ya.

>I'll just project wildly all over this thread because I want to start a fight
Ok

Let's be clear, Columbia isn't worth matriculating at, being surrounded by Washington Heights alone is a major deterrent for most sane people. That being said, it's confusing to me WHY a grocery bill of all things is troubling you, when Indian Point upstate is shutting down and your electric bill is going to increase by 25% this summer. That's your extra $400 right there buddy.

Now that we've established you're a broke college student, come on over for a good meal that doesn't come wrapped in plastics. Olympic pool in the basement here, half sized on the roof, full gym, my bedroom FULL is naughty fun.

Whatcha say?

I'm not sure if you've got some kind of dementia, or if you realize you made a mistake several posts ago and are just running with it because it's more fun to fantasize. Either way, keep going. You can tell a lot about a person's insecurities by what kinds of random shit they throw into their internet text fantasies.

Indian Point IS closing though. Terrence Murphy seems to be the ONLY sane Senator in this State voting against it with his brigade of compatriots. The closure of this facility is going to wind up costing you $100+ a week in electric expenses, not to forget about the rolling brownouts and flat out blackouts this will cause across an entire city trying to cool itself from May to September, causing much of your food to spoil. My building has solar fed generators so it's not a concern to me.

One way or another you're going to be blowing dosh, might as well just shop at WF and call it a day OP. "Attack the person, never the argument." Ahh, a leftist voter, one of many in this city. What a shame.

>food and cooking
>let's rant about nuclear power though
Ok

wtf are you even talking about
this thread is about expensive food, if you want to bitch about this kind of shit go rampage in your local news fb posts

OP is concerned about $400 a month in grocery expenses, lives in a very expensive part of town, the extra expenses in electric this summer alone will offset his desire to be frugal. Understand how it's related?

Just saying, the extra money is going ro be spent either way. Whether you like it or not you're going to hemorrhage money this summer just to stay cool, let alone cool your expensive foods. Just move to Poughkeepsie with the rest of the poor people and commute for your job.

>daddy works as a nuclear energy lobbyist and he said if they lose this battle we'll have to move out and resettle in Long Island or upstate because daddy isn't going to get his bonus and we can't live on west end @ 63 anymore
Fixed that for you, anything else you want to get off your chest now that you've derailed the thread?

So just to clarify, even though you'll be spending the extra money anyway, you're going to shitpost regardless of said fact? Hot-damn how you've survived here is beyond me bucko. LOL.

I've children of my own, my "daddy" is thousands of miles away across the pond. He's not an energy shill, just a boring old drunk, stewing in his chair about "Fenian scum" and what not. Senility is a hysterical illness. Literally and figuratively speaking.

How are you going to offset the energy crisis? Salvation Army? Soup Kitchens? Food pantries?

Where did your daddy touch you, user? Show us on the doll.

>who hurt you
>hun/honey/actually
>bigot/racist/"ist"

Confirmed Reddit visitor, welcome friend.

Does gaslighting ease the ever present tensions lingering in your subconscious about "not being good enough" while junkies can manage to hustle up hundreds of dollars per day to feed their addictions? Do you feel "less than" KNOWING those types of people are more resourceful than you? I'd feel awful if I couldn't even buy food for myself.

Where are you originally from? I'm here to help user, also door is always open to ya, as long as you can bend over well and twerk it for daddums.

Just the other day I was thinking, "Veeky Forums hasn't been the same without Angry Philip Morris Programmer Guy raving about shillary, the gays, and the carbon taxes every other day"

Problem solved, we have a new guy with a chip on his shoulder about a lot of everything

None of your crying solves OPs money issues, I'm at least providing another income/resource outlet to him. I DO have to get something out of it though, "no such thing as a free lunch" they often say.

Also, if you like Hillary Clinton you haven't lived in New York for long enough. They're awful people. Boinee Sandas isn't much better.

>living in New York
>didn't vote for Mr. New York

Tell us what you think about the carbon taxes, angry nuclear shill daddy

OP is going to spend the extra money regardless of his grocery situation, healthy foods will only exacerbate his poverty.

bump for drama

youtube.com/watch?v=S5ao0OVJIkQ

damn, I just bought like a pound of meat, 2lbs of potatoes, cheese, tomato sauce, and some beer for a total of $9 and I felt like that was too much

I'd die living up there with you fags. Get out of there, the snowstorms aren't worth it.

take a train, lazy.

There is a trader joe's on 32nd street on the east side. It is less crowded than the one on 14th street.

Why does that dog hate cabbages?

ayy lmao [spoiler]I'd still hotglue that doll though[/spoiler]

>move to area that doesn't easily accommodate personal vehicles
>be allergic to walking more than 2 blocks
k

Do people exaggerate when people talk about low-end shopping in America? People always say the quality control is basically non-existant in poorest shops but this is something I can't really understand. Even cheapest, most terrible shop here will have minimum standard here. Even if it's tasteless or made of pigs ears and reclaimed meat

Well, some people obviously shop at those places. It's not clear to me whether they just don't know any better, or are too poor to care. But the difference in quality control is night and day.

Is it edible? yes
Is it safe to consume? That's highly debatable, but at the very least, it's safe in the short term.