LIVER

I just discovered how delicious this is after pan frying a few pieces of lambs liver. Not only that, it's hella cheap and a good source of iron. What are the best ways to prepare it, seeing as it will now be a regular in my kitchen?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=P1C-JwJ5mww
youtu.be/e2aueRZAlSI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Mushrooms, butter, sherry vinegar, sage, salt, pepper, hit of cream at end to finish.

At what point do you add the shrooms, same time as the liver?

Try a liver pâté.

eat it raw like the monster you are

Stir-fry.
youtube.com/watch?v=P1C-JwJ5mww

Berlin Style: pan fry onions , add cubed apple and liver and fry until its finished; serve with mashed potatoes

try calf liver or duck/rabbit/chicken (often available as frozen) - those tend to be softer while pig or beef liver are firmer

blend finished pan fried liver 1:1 with butter and use as bread spread/quick liverwurst; use more seasoned/elaborate recipes w. sherry/port/cranberries...

so, do you need it to be lamb liver?
If not, I would recommend chicken livers. You won't have to do any chopping.

I recommend making a ragú with a few pieces of liver in it for richness of flavor.

You can also stir-fry it with some onion, butter, cabbage and chili powder. add some crême fraïche toward the end for about 3 minutes and about a tablespoon of tomato puree. serve with sticky rice or jerusalem artichoke gratin or pasta.

>hella
kys

Frying it is best way. I also just chop it up and throw it in whatever other shit.

Liver is fucking based. Don't tell anyone though don't want fucking hipsters causing the price to go up.

Pretty much all organ meats are based.

i thought that was a big wad of chocolate

Now that you mention it, I've had chicken livers before. I knew a Bulgarian chef who made a potato salad with onion, chopped hard boiled egg and chicken livers that was fantastic.

>Don't tell anyone though don't want fucking hipsters causing the price to go up
If human liver taste alright we can just kill them and eat hipster liver instead, though it would probably taste like shitty IPA.
Even better friend, it's a big wad of LIVER.

Why does that liver look like it's been perforated repeatedly all over by worms? Is that how all livers look, or is that one just damaged?

Chicken liver, chicken gizzard, and chicken hearts adobo

>tfw restaurant near me that made god-tier liver and onions closed down over a decade ago
Any chain restaurants that make it?

Not him, but I would probably do them before the liver, because liver cooks pretty quick.

Look for a good highway diner

Dude don't eat that shit. Literally too much iron for your standard male to process.
If you're a heavily menstruating woman you can hit it up relatively frequently but if you're not bleeding you don't need the iron

My old uncle cook that thing with onions put mashed Bean's
Delicious if you ask me

I'd be more worried about vitamin A overdose. You can't overdose on vitamin A in plants because it's in a form that your body converts to the usable form, and when your body has enough it stops converting. But the animal form is already the usable form and so it can build up and overdose, liver tends to be pretty high in vitamin A.
I've heard some arctic predators have high enough levels though that even small amounts can kill you

try poached cod liver on bread with butter.

cook in soy sauce with garlic and onions. serve with boiled egg

This, tastes great. you can eat pasta instead of potatoes to.

It's ok to eat. I just wouldn't eat it daily.

So what other offal is good? I hear that offal is actually nutritious. Also what's the best fat to eat?

if you ever grind your own beef for burgers, run some beef liver through the grinder with the meat as well.

Iron helps us play

Why? I mean usually we add liver for meatballs.

Brain is delicious, I like it breaded and fried. Steer clear of tripe, I can't fathom how people can aquire a taste for it.

Sweetbreads. Good god try sweetbreads.

I like tripe personally. Brain I'm a bit iffy about though. That's just my paranoia speaking though.

Hello, Joe!

for more or different flavor

youtu.be/e2aueRZAlSI

Anglais.
/thread

Human liver would probably fuck you up given all the garbage it has to filter.

I've had sweetbread before, I liked it.
There's a Mexican food truck near my house that makes really good tongue sandwiches.

I don't get why so many people are so averse to organ meat. Do they learn it from their parents or what?

>liver
what's so good about it? Even the smell of it makes me want to puke.

The texture is really soft, like a spongy meat, and it tastes great. I can't think of of anything else it's tastes like to compare it to though. If the smell makes you that upset you can let it soak in a little bit of milk for a couple of minutes, before dredging it in flour and pan frying it.

Never had eggs and liver at the same time.

Guess that's what I'm trying when I go shopping.

If you live in LA, Aroma (the Israeli restaurant) serves two or three different liver dishes.

There's one on Hollywood and one in Encino that I know of. If you live elsewhere, maybe Aroma exists there too - IDK.

This. Liver can get dry very quickly if you overcook it. it dries way faster than chicken breast. Keep track of it when you fry it.

Cod liver is awesome. So is monkfish liver.

Sweetbreads is the best. Creamy soup or deep fried or lightly breaded and pan fried. Pairs well with morels and cep mushroom. Very creamy.

Kidneys are great, but you gotta prepare them well.DO NOT SIMPLY SOAK IN LEMON. It'll make em taste horribly sour and still have some nasty shit in em. Get rid of those membrane thingies and shock boil em for like 30 secs per kidney.
Make a cream-base, thicl stew and serve with some nice herbs and sticky rice.

I would not recommend heart, esp beef heart. Too much work for what is essentially a muscle that is way too chewy to be enjoyable. Cheap as shit though.

Brain makes me think of weird diseases that I never wabt to get. Probably not likely to happen, but I'm cool with not trying it.

Where do you even buy liver and sweetbreads?

I don't think liver is terribly rare, you can probably get it in the meat department/deli of your average supermarket.

Other offal like sweetbreads though, you may have to go to an ethnic/specialty store.

What you're thinking of is prion diseases.
They seriously fuck you up and can't be cooked out, so you're rolling the dice every time you eat part of another animal's central nervous system.

Brasserie Lipp make an excellent dish called Foie de veau à l'anglaise.

Season veal liver with salt, pepper, and pass lightly through flour; fry on both sides in butter so the liver attains a golden crust whilst pink within.

At the same time, fry bacon or salt pork, starting from cold, till crisp. Serve with mashed potatoes topped with a sauce in a hole in the mashed potatoes which I'm sure is some combination of worcestershire, sauce espagnole, and brown sauce. Absolutely god tier.

Sweetbreads, kidneys, heart, oxtail, ears, cheeks, marrow are my favourites. Roast Marrow is a delight, and makes a great addition when mixed in steak tartare; oxtail is perfect in stews, ragus, and is one of the secret ingredients in my beef chili recipe. Ditto cheeks; pigs ears are stunning when roasted to a crisp. They become like pig candy. Kidneys are great in a bordelaise, mustard, or madeira sauce, or else in a steak and kidney pie; my favourite pie is steak, kidney, porter and oyster. Heart needs to either be chargrilled carefully, or else served in a tartare.

Besides, I love blood sausage. I can't get enough of black pudding, blutwurst, the argentinan morcilla etc. Haggis is beautiful too no matter what the sceptics say.

You are going to shit and pee the iron your body doesn't need. In other words get out with your broscience, nobody is going die here from iron overdose from livers.

I love calve's liver but I can never find it. Tried lamb liver a few days ago because it's so cheap but I couldn't eat it. It tastes too much like copper. Idk if I cooked it wrong, it was still slightly red in the middle.

That's normal. Pretty normal to find worms or their eggs in meat and fish too. Completely harmless assuming you cook it properly.

I fry onions and mushroom before adding the liver. Also pour some worcester over the liver while frying and serve with brown gravy over everything.

Walmart.

This.

A pack of liver is about £1 at the supermarket pan fried with onions and sered with mash and gravy it's awesome.

Think pate with the crust of a steak.

To add onto what the other user said.

Prion diseases come from eating nervous tissues.

Now normally this isn't a problem. The problem occurs when cannibilisation happens. Man eating man means a risk of prion diseases. Cow eating cow means a risk of prion diseases.

Man eating cow, no risk UNLESS the cow was fed the nervous system of another cow

So a healthy animal eating the brain of another healthy animal of the same species can spontaneously give it a prion disease?

And then ANYTHING that eats the brain of the diseased animal gets fucked up?

Sounds like you'd love medieval cookery, as they made extensive use of sweetbreads, marrow, kidney, liver and oyster.

I believe they preferred the term "lights" rather than offal though.

Generally if anyone plans on consuming brain they should do so at a well established, and expensive restaurant. Since their is very little chance they'd mess up sourcing for the brains.

something tells me a weird mutation of prion disease caused the zombie apocalypse in The Walking Dead

Medieval cookery tends to be a bit fixated on sweet savoury dishes for my liking. I'm very firmly a disciple of classic french gastronomy, though I have much enthusiasm for the cuisine of Georgia, Japan, Italy, and Persia too. I do love my offal and my game though.

I always thought lights were lungs mind

This, taste like delicious juicy mushrooms... But imo they're too much fucking work cutting that fucking membrane out and getting them to not smell like piss.

Heart is delicious. Chicken hearts are like meat popcorn and beef heart makes a fantastic stew/curry meat.

The best offal has to be heart sweetbread, the other one is kinda lumpy, but the heart one is top tier, best done in the grill with a squeeze of lemon.

Does anybody have any good ideas on what to do with turkey liver? I bought some thinking it was like chicken/beef/pork liver and it tastes noticeably different and I don't quite know what to do with it.

PAN.
NICE AND HOT.
SALT.
FRESH CRACKED PEPPA.
IN THE PAN.
GET A NICE, SORT OF...
BEAUTIFUL BROWN COLOR

then throw it in the garbage because it's turkey liver you chuckle fuck

>eating an animal's toxin filtration organ.

I know right? Everyone knows meat comes from the store. Liver is gross because the animal is alive when it's killed.

Rabbit liver > all

What's a way to prepare liver that will be good to eat cold? This thread has me craving it but if I bring it for lunch at work I don't want to ruin it by reheating in the microwave.

Liverwurst is good, and can be eaten cold in sandwiches similarly to bologna or lunch meat.

>kys
gb2facebook

"gebackene leber", translates to baked liver. austrian staple dish, served in many restaurants here, especially rural areas.
fry cut liver in pan on high heat, then onions in the juice. add flour to the onions, then vegetable broth and spices. let liver simmer in it for 15 mins.
>first post on Veeky Forums, migrated from Veeky Forums
so, sorry if shitpost.

Don't you have some sick gains to be gettin' at the gym, Skyler?

Make faggots with it. Yes the burgers laugh because of the name, but they are nice.

They're known as meatballs in burgerland.

Delicious if you don't think about the cholesterol content and your chances of dying from coronary heart disease

Faggots should be exclusively made with offal though, no minced pork.

>anyone who knows the slightest about nutrition is my obscure friend

I think he was saying you sound like a broscience spouting retard.

>Pretty normal to find worms or their eggs in meat and fish too.
Ahaha what sort of third world country do you live in? Fish I can agree with if and only if you've caught it yourself, tons of spiral-worms on mackerell and the like. But finding anything like that in meat you've bought at the store is just ridiculous and wouldn't pass in any western country, enjoy your trichinella and mad cow disease.

Those are blood vessels you dunce, they are stringy and chewey so you usually cut away the big ones.

Liver obviously, and hearts are very good. Beef heart goes really well in stews and chicken hearts are a great dish in themselves. Kidneys are alright, just got to make sure to soak them well in milk so they don't stink up when you cook them. Tripe and intestines are also really good when cooked properly.

then why dont you eat brain on a daily basis?

Cholestrol duh. Brains are delicious though. Texture wise is like tofu.

Cognac and brandy are excellent liquors to cook with most liver in my experience.

Beef heart has four sections, two of which are tender enough to be eaten raw. I won't eat book-tripe without soaking the fuck out it and putting it in a strongly flavored stew; I feel the experience is much like walking into a barn with your mouth open. Kidneys are awesome and I don't always soak them.

I won't eat brains after biting into some bone fragments. Makes me gag.

I always assume people like you are shitposters or retards. Same with the vitamine A fucktard. When is the last liver-related death you read about? How does it feel to live so scared and paranoid all the time?

m8 my mom used to roll pieces of liver in bacon and put it in the oven. so fkn good.