What's the deal with sushi?

What's the deal with sushi?
I had it once and it was meh.
I get its widely popular and probably for some reason.
Rice, raw fish, a couple slices of vegetables wrapped in seaweed.
I dont get it.

It's tasty and comfy to eat.

It's delicious.

>>had it once
So go try it again elsewhere. Single experiences are worthless for judging anything. And there's an awful lot of mediocre sushi out there.

Adolescence is liking sushi.
Adulthood is realising that gimbap is superior.

Having what little culture they had in the first place wiped out by Japan has made Korea the GOAT fusion-food country.

If you ever visit Korea, don't bother with anything but the fusion places.

Did you have good sushi or some crap on badly prepared rice?

It was in some private company. The guy was ok at cooking but probably not that into the japanese cuisine.

well, it is quite a specific food. Not for everyone, bc not all people like raw fish, seaweed, and its taste is more subtle than most food's you are used too.

I mostly just like the sashimi, where it is just raw fish. Salmon sashimi is so good because you can really taste the fatty fish and it gives you an appreciation for the clean simple flavor of salmon.

I love western style sushi

THERE I SAID IT

Sushi is only as good as what it's made of. You'll know if you got the freshest, tastiest fish possible, and you'll know if you got any less than that. That concept of the pure flavor of the ingredients being the whole flavor of the food is the kind of purity that appeals to Japanese people.

>What's the deal with sushi?
>My fuckstick friend tried making once, and didn't do it well.

What do you expect us to tell you.

avocados were the best thing to ever happen to sushi, I don't care what nips think with their DURR GAIJIN NOT HON-MONO MAKIZUSHI attitude, they are wrong.

Korean and Chinese made sushi is shit (also happens that they are the two biggest owners of sushi restaurants in America).

Sure, their underground dog-meat-as-counterfeit-pork bullshit notwithstanding..

you're thinking of the wrong asians buddy

I agree, I will eat just avocado sushi because it is cheap and delicious. Avocado and salmon is god tier

>bagel roll
>battered and deep fried w/ creme cheese in the middle
>sauce drizzled on top
and you're okay with this?

Hipsters and weebs, user.
It's overrated as fuck.

do not eat white tuna

its not tuna, its this gross fish full of wax

I wish I knew this sooner, but now you do

>local sushi restaurant
>all you can eat lunch for 8€
>it's always good
feels good

Salmon, Hamachi & Toro are GOAT sashimi. Sea urchin is GOAT nigiri. Skip all that Americanized Philly roll type garbage and keep it simple.

also called escolar

shit's pretty bad for you, but I think in the US it needs to be labelled as such (maybe only in some states)

I'm with OP. I think it's badly overrated. I think it's more trendy than tasty. Except octopus. Octopus is pretty good.

>but I think in the US it needs to be labelled as such (maybe only in some states)

well apparently, not in mine

octopus is the worst, like chewing on a shrimp flavored tire

They tried to ban it in Hawaii but the law went nowhere. Other than that all we have in the USA is an FDA recommendation against marketing it.

You'd think businesses would know better than to sell it though, since anyone who eats the stuff will assume they've gotten food poisoning.

Japan promoted it a lot.

Jjajang noodles are great as well.

There are a lot of weebs who like it because 'muh Japanese culture!' and a lot of dumb young white people who think its extremely high class.

Don't take this as me bashing sushi either, I've got nothing against it. But it's traditionally the Japanese equivalent of fast food and if you think you're super sophisticated for eating it you've been memes on. That's the reason for its relatively recent explosion in popularity in the west

It's a super convenient lunch since you can just walk in, buy a pack, walk out. Don't have to wait for any cooking or anything since it's all premade.

It also looks and tastes healthy and you feel like you're a worldly person for eating '''exotic''' food.

Zhajiang*

I like sushi but prefer sashimi. The raw fish is the tastiest part I enjoy it by itself.

actually I had been eating it and had no problems

I just googled it one day and realized what I was eating was bad, but I guess I wasn't eating it often enough or can tolerate it well

Sushi doesn't require raw fish. Only vinegared rice.

It is actually pretty healthy depending on the type.

>escolar
Octopus and squid really need a chef that knows what they are doing. Everyone else fucks it up.

worst shit ever created next to avocado and sirracha

I had Mackerel nigiri the other day
Holy shit that is a decadent tasting fish

>superior
Kimbap is nice but not even on the same level as fine sushi
Fuck off

>Mackerel
you know that is a shit tier fish we use to bait sharks with?

Don't care, tasted great.

tastes like shite to me

I think its okay, but I like the fancy rolls and everything more than just the fish on rice. I've been told by time you get to rolls its mostly American food but I still like it. I could live without octopus though.

Yeah well I respect your disagreement on this subject and make no insistence on the taste of fish being objective

You're comparing a fast food to a cuisine. One takes refrigerated and pickled ingredients that are mass produced and seasoned with salt and sesame oil, and the other requires fresh ingredients and knowledge of anatomy of fish. In essence that is not much different than comparing a dry aged steak to ground hamburger. Stop embarrassing yourself. Stop embarrassing me.

Is it authentic to take rolls of sushi and coat them in tempura batter and fry them or is it just great?

You have to go to certain places to get good sushi. Theres a sushi place at least every mile or two around where I live but I would only actually get sushi at 3 of them. Also theres so many different things you won't know exactly what you like the best until you go probably at least 20 times. Sushi is so complicated because theres so many different ingredients to mix and match. If you just go and try a california roll thats not a good example of sushi because theres 1000 different rolls out there that taste nothing like a california roll.

it's one of those things that's really dependent on where you get it. Try getting it at a not shitty place.

I grew up on the coast and ate seafood 2-3 meals a week for years, but I've never been that big on sushi

Like, I don't dislike it, I just don't think it's all that great. I'll take fried or baked fish filets over salmon rolls any day of the week

It's labeled on the menu of a Japanese restaurant near me and there's a warning to not consume more than 6 ounces of it at a time.

No. Don't be stupid.

Went to Japan for ~9 months last year with my ex-gf

Ate sushi that had been alive less than an hour before near the ports in 富山県. rode our bikes back to her house afterwards and had sex for hours. broke up with her because i couldnt handle the shame of racemixing, came back to america.

havent had sushi since, too painful

*Hug:(*

With sugar. And it has to specifically be rice vingar.

You did the right thing by letting the mongrel go.

I like mixed breeds. Theyre my favorite dogs.

Raw fish is bland.

It's the chinks who eat dogs

I like the texture of raw fish.
I'd make it myself, but apparently there's strict guidelines on how to store fish so that it's safe to consume raw, and the supermarkets near me don't sell fish like that.

Not sure if I buy the sushi storage shit. I think grocery stores just don't want the liability, and I don't blame them

>what is the Japanese dog meat scandal?

It's delicious. And, personally, the only rolls I order are maki rolls, because I don't like all the sauces and shit they put on rolls here.
I usually order sashimi and nigiri.
If you order the right fish, and the place is a GOOD one, you'll get a "high" from eating it. Last time I was a my favorite sushi place, I had hamachi kama, 6 pieces of toro, oysters, miso soup, grilled cuttlefish, and uni, (oh, and some cold sake), and I left feeling like I'd smoked a really good joint.

Then you're an idiot. Mackerel is one of the best fish, period. Good and good for you.

lightly tempura-battered, deep fried rolls are the best though

Weebs. seriously, it's ok but not great. Weebs would eat the shit out of a guy's ass if he was a filthy jap.

China is still a type of weeb

yeah well you're a type of weeb

Found the weeaboo

I take it you never been to Japan, the vast majority of sushi served isn't anything close to fine dining. It's pretty much the equivalent of burgers in the US, most people just get it as a quick, easy meal or if you want you can pay a little more and go somewhere and get a sushi omakase. Everyone isn't having dinner at Jiro's every night like you imagine.

I admit tempura fried rolls are fucking great, but that's like a once-in-awhile treat. Getting that regularly is just fatty.

It depends on what kinds you get.
I'm not a huge fan of the usual ones with tuna and such but I would do horrible things for a plate of well made eel sushi.

You can do a lot of shit with sushi

But avocados are native to japan

But that take out sushi from a place like Chiyoda or any kaiten zushi place is still better than the vast majority of restaurants in the US.
A good number of places in the US can barely even compete with Maruetsu tier grocery store sushi.

that is why this world is so cancerous, because of dog-like scum like you.
enjoy burning in hell, because there is punishment for such evil oh trust me there is.

Shame WW2 killed Japanese immigration to America.

Amazed how a fish is somehow unedible to humans in large amounts.

Is it because it is way too greasy or oily?

But people eating stuff like fried butter sticks at carnivals or fairs don't seem to suffer like that.

It was fast food in ancient times because cooking oil, gathering wood, etc was expensive.

>ancient times

Sushi as we know it dates to the 1850s

There's a similar dish that's much older but the fish was fermented.

Specifically it's a kind of wax that humans can't digest and that's why it causes problems

It's pretty enjoyable when done right, but because normies largely think 'eww raw fish' when confronted by the idea of sushi, it appeals to the edgy hipster crowd who like to be seen as being outside of the norm. Naturally, they take this too far, and assign it a whole ton of depth which isn't actually there.

Like, sushi is one of the most 'okay' foods. It's okay. I like it every once in a while, something different, but as a culinary style I don't think it's got a lot of value.

Maybe you CANNOT enjoy sushi? I ate a lot of junk food and heavily seasoned food as a kid and couldn't make out the mild tastes from sushi ingredients. It just tasted like a salty mush to me back then.

I can now but I'm too cheap to eat them regularly

this. mediocre sushi and poorly made, quick sushi is too common sadly.

what's the deal with pasta
I had boxed spaghetti and ragu sauce one time
some slimy carbs and sugary tomato sauce
I don't get it

Nobody is talking about the superior Uni? Love me some genitals.

Enjoy octopus too but baby octopus weirds me out a little to look at. My favorite drunk food happens to be supermarket sushi partly for convenience.

Agreed, sex outside of marriage is a sin!

Sushi is 100% better with cooked fish. Its still good raw either way.

ahhhh!!!! too much grease!!!!!

>eating tuna anyway
it's one of the most disgusting-tasting fish, especially raw
why people would eat it over red snapper or salmon is fucking beyond me

if it's being made by a retard who doesn't know how to deep fry things
deep frying only makes things greasy if it's not hot enough, it essentially causes the oil to mix into whatever you're cooking (as if you dropped it into a pot of water) rather than actually cooking it

>because i couldnt handle the shame of racemixing, came back to america.
i don't even have to but i'm going to anyway
this shit is why you don't have a girlfriend
be less of a pathetic human being

>edgy hipster crowd

How flyover are you?
Sushi has been a normie food since the '80s.

He means hipster for Wisconsin, they're about 50 years behind, cut him some slack

>but because normies largely think 'eww raw fish' when confronted by the idea of sushi
mostly people that are 30+
i don't know anyone under 30 who reactionarily goes EW SUSHI

>Rice, raw fish, a couple slices of vegetables wrapped in seaweed.
>I dont get it.
What is not to get? It tastes good.

Originally sushi was created as a way of preserving fish, the rice would go sour and prevent bacteria from developing in the fish, while the seaweed wrapping kept it sealed and humid inside.

They would roll it up and keep it stocked in a pile until you decide to eat it, then slice it and dip it in shoyu and wassabi if you like.

Today it no longer has any function of food preservation due to modern refrigeration, but people still eat it because it tastes good.

Sashimi is also very good but only if it is fresh.

Reminder if you've never been to Japan you've never had good sushi.

The coasts have fresh live fish and boatloads of Japanese immigrants to prepare it

>Reminder if you've never been to Japan you've never had good sushi.
The people that cook at my favorite restaurant don't even speak my language, they are imigrants from Japan and cook just the way they did back at home, specially because their target costumers are japanese imigarnts.

So I somehow doubt your statement and will go ahead and call you a pretentious hipster faggot.

The fact that you replied makes me think that you know you're wrong.

Bullshit.
You can get just as good sushi on the West Coast. The best sushi places here have their fish flown from Japan on a daily basis and/or use fish that was freshly caught that day here. You just have to make sure you go to a Japanese owned sushi place, and not one owned by Koreans. The difference is fucking HUGE.

western sushi is an entirely different ballgame though

I understand. You're a flyover and you can't help yourself.