/wok/

hei wokfags get in here!
So I love my wok but now it's getting a bit sticky. I always wash with a gentle sponge, never use detergent, and i always heat the wok after cleaning. What are some tips that you have for keeping a great non-stick surface? Is there anything better than the glorious wok hei?
Also wok general thread.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=RSvwXuGEX0k
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

You have to re-season it to remove the build up.

youtube.com/watch?v=RSvwXuGEX0k

thats what i did last night, havent used it yet since then.
have you ever said fuck it and taken the steel wool to the whole thing and started over? theres only a small section thats stick and i wanted to avoid removing the petina that i already have.

You shouldn't have to.

Just wash the wok with soap and water. That won't remove proper seasoning, but it will remove any greasy residue left on it. If you're paranoid about soap then just scrub it well with coarse salt and water.

i'd just use soap and scrub a bit if i were you user. i'd reseason it again after though. i use leeks

honestly i feel like seasoning is just a meme at this point

i used to try to maintain a patina on my wok but i like cooking with some acidic sauces sometimes, which kinda eats away at it.

nowadays i just wash it with soap and water and it still works fine; i just deglaze the wok with rice wine vinegar or something else at the end of cooking and wash with soap and water.

wok is still clean carbon steel, just need to make sure it's fully dry after cleaning

would you consider seasoning a cast iron skillet a meme as well? asking for a friend.

I don't know; not enough experience cooking with them.

Why would the seasoning of ferrous metal vary depending on what shape the metal was in? It all rusts the same way, therefore you care for it the same way.

>What are some tips that you have for keeping a great non-stick surface?
Actually clean it.
>Is there anything better than the glorious wok hei?
Considering Asian people don't have high BTU burner and still stir-fry better than you white people with your fucking wokhei, there are probably a lot more to asian cooking then wok hei.

Going to try this, thanks user.

Whenever my cast iron or rolled steel pans get a bit sticky I just fry half a dozen pancakes in them, or I make fried potatoes, with plain old rapeseed/canola oil. It's always nonstick again after that, so much so that fried eggs will slide right off. No "autistic/artistic" seasoning in the oven required.

>If you're paranoid about soap then just scrub it well with coarse salt and water.
I'm paranoid about a mild detergent damaging a chemical bond, so instead I will rub hundreds of sharp rocks into my pan instead

>not understanding chemestry
lemme scrub the grease off these pans with some salt.

Aren't woks completely worthless though if you aren't using them over a flame burner?

maybe.but you can cook over any heat. The asians use an air-infuser to pump up their burners so technically cooking over gas is about the same as electric.
gas>electric for everything though.

>What are some tips that you have for keeping a great non-stick surface?

Heat, and oil.

That's it.

My wok will start to stick on the bottom and accumulate some fond only when I let the heat drop down, which is usually caused by adding too much food without properly adjusting the heat. I cook over a gas turkey burner, and if I do it right, NOTHING ever sticks.

I'm still a noob, and the biggest mistake I make is overcooking, because the intense heat of the propane cooker is no comparison with my shitty electric stove.

Keep it hot, and keep it oiled, and you'll do O.K..

damn son thought about that too, you cook outside i take it?

>you cook outside i take it?

Absolutely.

To get the restaurant flavor from a wok that people buy woks for in the first place, you need massive amounts of heat, and massive amounts of ventilation, which most home kitchens can't produce. However, with a propane burner, you can get all the heat you need, when you need it, but you'll need to use it outdoors.

I bought a round bottom, and a flat bottom wok. The round for outdoors, the flat for indoors. I hardly ever use the flat for cooking because the electric range just doesn't cut it.

The propane burner will get you that "no shit" Chinese restaurant flavor that most people buy woks for in the first place.

>restaurant flavor from a wok that people buy woks for in the first place
wok hei (pronounced hay)
wok hei is the best
i get it on my stove at home, i have an oversized burner, i just have to make sure i dont cool the wok too much when cooking. the fucking secret is (heat of course) and making sure all vegetables are as dry as they can be before going in, even to the point of dehydrated a bit.
what are some of your go to recipes? i make a bombass kung po chicken.

>wokfags
lol weebs, they're called "Pans".

>The propane burner will get you that "no shit" Chinese restaurant flavor that most people buy woks for in the first place.
This is the average delusional Veeky Forums anons.

when i first got mine i was reading the cleaning directions and it i thought it said use steel wool to remove the layer of chemicals on top from it being made. i thought it said to only use steel wool so i actually spent time looking for steel wool then scrubbing the shit out of my wok then reading the next step i noticed it said Not to use wool. I want to die. it still works totally fine tho

I do stir fry chicken, pork, and fried rice, and do a Thai chicken curry with coconut every so often.

My simple go to stir fry for any given protein:
Chopped protein of choice marinaded in the following:
1 Tsp dark soy sauce
1 Tsp shiaxing wine (can use sherry)
1 Tsp fish sauce
1 Tsp sesame oil
pinch of salt pepper

For the fry:
Chopped onion, bell pepper, slice carrot / whatever you want. I use a 3 to 1 ratio total veg to protein, so if I'm using 1/2 cup of protein, I've got about 1 1/2 cup total veg.
4 cloves minced garlic
1.5 inches minced garlic
1 - 2 habenero
Finishing sauce: 2 TBS stock (beef for beef, chicken for chicken of course), 2 tsp oyster sauce, 1 tsp sugar, 1 tsp fish sauce, 1 tsp dark soy, 1 tsp sesame oil, 1 tsp ground Szechuan pepper, 1/2 tsp white black pepper. Mix thoroughly.

Prep: Drain the protein from marinade. Heat wok till smoking. Add oil till smoking then add garlic/ginger/chili combo and cook quickly till fragrant and before garlic browns. Add protein and allow to quickly sear on both sides, but not cook completely, then set aside. Add vegetables and cook 1/2 way, then add protein, sauce, and cook evenly until done. Serve with rice.

>1.5 inches minced ginger

Stainless steel is ferrous too idiot.

Different compositions between carbon steel wok and cast iron pan.

you use steel wool to remove the factory anti rust coat, then never again.

you are a fucking idiot.

Yes. Ignore See that flat countertop on your electric range? See the round bottom of your wok?
Literally a round peg in a square hole.
Flat bottom woks are hardly better, only the flat part gets any hot.
Now, a real flame, that things will cover over and bend all around the bottom of the wok, like your mouth over my dick. Wonderful.