Ceramic Knives

What do you guys think of ceramic knives?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=sbPWitSTe2k
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

They're knives made of ceramic, user.
No big deal.

Zircon composite blades are neat until they chip, which they often do...then they're useless. If you baby them they'll be a "forever sharp" option to utilize in your kitchen that require little to no maintenance. I have a few Kyocera blades tucked away somewhere in my pantry.

Just buy serrated knives you lazy FUCK

What do you guys think of knives made from dog poop gone hard?

calm down there autismo, you don't use serrated knives for everything.

They're great as long as your whole kitchen is clad in foam rubber and you only cut cake, jello and boneless chicken.

>boneless chicken
Better off with kitchen shears desu

Except you can't go NEVER BEEN DONE BEFORE while bragging that they never need sharpening

They will inevitably chip sooner or later, no matter how you baby them. In order to give the edge even minimal stability they have to be pretty thick behind the edge, too - too thick to ever cut really well. I also don't like the glass-hard feeling of the blade when cutting stuff.

This is my thoughts. This knife is 3 months old and just as expensive as its steel counterparts. Show me a steel knife that ever did this.

Here's one.

Here's another

a pain in the ass to sharpen, and they're brittle, so they're useless for my uses.
what? serrated knives are terrible at most things, they're for a few select applications

This is a bad one.

were you using it for chopping bone?

They stay sharp for a while, dull, and can never be sharpened again.

If you like disposable knives, then go for it.

there's no way that happened under kitchen normal conditions. you can break a ceramic knife just by using a hard cutting board. those look like you were cutting copper pipe or something like those old ginsu commercials

I like my ceramic santoku. 90% of my knife use. kyocera sharpen them for free if you post it back to them. stays sharp for up to a year.

Probably got dropped onto the edge of a metal shelf 3 feet below or something. Surprised to see the Global logo on it, though. Those aren't exactly Walmart store brand.

one broke off in a guy I know's scapula. wouldn't recommend for stabbing.

I don't like how light they are.

It has literally zero benefit over a high-quality steel knife.

You can't even claim edge retention when the things chip if they so much as look at a spaghetti squash.

I've used one for like a year now. I really love it, but I'm a pleb that doesn't know anything about knives.

not him but serrated edge knives are extremely useful and versatile. particularly pic related

they excel EXCLUSIVELY at cutting through hard crusts with a softer interior. there's nothing else that serrated knives are better at.
the demand for an overt stroking motion to cut efficiently also makes them a lot slower for 95% of all cooking use.

they're better at cutting stuff if the owner is a complete shit-for-brains who doesn't take care of his stuff. a knife that cuts less than perfectly is better than a knife that barely cuts at all. this is something the "never sharpen your knives unless you get a benchstone" crowd usually fails to grasp. if someone cared enough to put on a hachimaki and grind away for hours while giving himself a herniated disk in his custom-made stone pond, he wouldn't need sharpening advice.

Buy Chef's Choice™ now with more trivox

yeah thats completely wrong. i mean i know not everyone on this board actually works in a kitchen but when you have chopped literally 200 lbs of onions, tomatoes, peppers, herbs, steaks, and whatever else like i have you learn which knives are the most efficient real quick. there are probably a hundred knives at my work and everyone just uses these victorinox fibrox blades. at home i dont use it for general prep though, i will use a more standard chefs knife

btw when i say 200 lbs i meant daily not total

I like using serrated on tomatoes
and I would beat both of you in a fight so lets go

Kyocera has a pretty cheap electric sharpener.

>I like using serrated on tomatoes
yeah, tomatoes are an ingredient with a more durable surface than the insides, specifically what serrated knives are good at. however only really if you need super fine slices
Uh huh, and you use a serrated knife for cutting 200lb onion? cause I gotta tell you, there's a better way. I just said that serrated knives are good for certain tasks, but it's not a good omnitool, so why recommend it in the place for a chefs knife? just get a steel chefs knife.
I'm not recommending ceramic, they're terrible for everything. I'm saying that it's fucking strange to recommend a serrated knife in place of a ceramic chefs knife.

>I'm not recommending ceramic, they're terrible for everything. I'm saying that it's fucking strange to recommend a serrated knife in place of a ceramic chefs knife.
what would you recommend for a shit-for-brains who can't take care of his stuff, if not serrated? let's assume for the moment that Chef's Choice™ now with more trivox is out of the question because of freehand autist propaganda

look i know its unconventional but i will guarantee you i can prep faster than 99% of the people on this board, and ive used knives ranging from shitty wal mart knives to superior nippon weeb steels and nice wusthof blades, and i still go for the serrated for prep. there's a whole area of whetstones in our back room, and ive sharpened more standard knives on them probably hundreds of times. its not like i use the serrated for deboning or de-fatting meat or anything. just veggies and stuff like 40 lb packages of pork shoulder. i can dice our pork shipments in about 10 minutes with that sucker.

onions i think are a great example like you said of cutting through the outside of something with a softer interior. the outer shell of the onion can be quite tough. one swift motion, no problem. its like butter if you keep it sharp. sometimes i'll switch to a chef knife after peeling the onions (like for a large dice) but usually not, especially if im going for a fine julienne, which i prep about 4 gallons of once every few days.

What the fuck? I just can't even comprehend this. You're seriously slicing everything with a bread knife? There's just no one you can even possibly approach the speed with which I can break down vegetables with my chef's. I can julienne an onion in less than a second. How can you do that with pulls? I don't even think you can get clean lines with serated. Fuck you.

just buy a fucking chefs knife and give it a few strokes with the iron every once in a while. the time you'll use is outweighed by the time a serrated knife will cost you chopping onions.
you're full of shit if you're telling me you're doing all your prep with a serrated knife. no, onions are easy as shit to cut with a normal knife, serrated knives bring no advantages to this cutting process and a lot of negatives.

unrelated to the argument you're having with the other dude - can you let us in on the onion technique? I tend to struggle peeing them sometimes and I haven't found a quick solution for it yet other than peeling off an extra layer. also, how do you avoid wasting time with the last bit which tends to delayer when you try to slice it?

I like them, they're very good. Their use is kind of niche due to their brittleness but sometimes I just want to chop lettuce with virtually no perceivable resistance, and that's what they're there for.

If I forget to hide them when I have company over I can just expect them to be broken though. Last time my sister was over she chipped two knives trying to cut frozen ground beef before asking me why my knifes are breaking.

I have a second hand kyocera one. been using it for 2 years now and it's still going. chipping hasn't really been a problem, mine is slightly chipped but it doesn't make it less useful

>I tend to struggle peeing them sometimes

The problem is that you, like probably the majority people on this board, most likely have an urethra that is not large enough to allow the onion an unobstructed passage.

:^)

are you implying that men do?

We are common folk here with a set of ceramic knives. I had zero issues with them. The felt fine. Cut good. They got the job done just fine for our humble family kitchen. Then 1 chipped, and I chalked it up to bad luck. Another chipped, so I looked into it, and turns out they're all shit-tier. My opinion of them has plummeted since then.

I wouldn't care if they weren't just as expensive as an equivalent steel set of generic knives. But for the same price? That made me angry. Live and learn.

>I like using serrated on tomatoes
>and I would beat both of you in a fight so lets go

Veeky Forums is so strange

You need to go back

kek, didn't even see the typo. thanks for lifting my spirits a bit man

what? he's 100% right.

Just peel off the outer layer and throw it in your stock scraps.

>less than a second
what takes you so long, pleb?

Did you just assume my gender?

ceramic parers are great
anything else and it's not worth replacing them every time some dumb cunt fucks with your knives

WERCOME TO YANGJING KINGDOUBUR SEE RAMICK KNIVES MANUHFUCKCHUR

youtube.com/watch?v=sbPWitSTe2k

Yes, you fucking faggot.