Barbecue

Hey ck, I'm making barbecue today because I've never really tried it and summer is just around the corner. Don't have easy access to a grill or smoker, so I'm going with broiling it in the oven and then moving to the slow cooker to finish it. I'm a North Carolina boi so I'm doing pulled pork with these two lovely pork loins. Not the traditional cut, but I don't have enough roommates/friends to eat a whole shoulder.

Anyway, I gave these a dry rib yesterday consisting of brown sugar, cayenne, chipotle, chili, paprika, parsley, celery seed, black pepper, and sea salt. They've been chilling in the fridge until now, and I'm about to broil em up.

Man fucking Café Bustelo that shit is nearly $5 per tin now, used to be about $3.

I just use an old Bustelo can to hold my spoons n shit. Broke college student and pseudohipster here.

I stopped drinking that brand in favor of a Traded Joe's brand a while back. It's worth the extra 3$.

Looking and smelling good so far.

You choose pork tenderloin for BBQ meat?

Pretty sure you already fucked up. Tenderloin needs to be cooked quickly and not one degree above 145 F.

You wanted pork shoulder or something that can take the heat. Is it too late to change your plans? Because that's guaranteed to have shitty results, dry as shit and terrible stringy texture. Why would you attempt to BBQ/slow cook such a cut? Did you not read a single recipe?

lol the cans do look festive, I used to have a pile of them laying around. Planted pineapples in some, used the rest for grease disposal.

I'm poor as fuck though, now drinking HEB store brand cause it's $2 with coupon. Thinking about cutting down severely on my coffee consumption though and getting decent coffee again, I miss it sometimes lol.

Pork loin is probably pretty lean for pulling bro, so uh good luck lol. Also can't you find a small picnic shoulder? Pulled pork also freezes great.

THIS. Op you fucked up

I've tried it myself and it works. Not ideal but you're being ridiculous.

I read one, but I like to learn from experience. I've had good experiences with this cut and doing slow cooker shit, so who knows? Probably other people, but this way I learn from my mistakes. Looks goo so far.

Flip.

Back in.

Eat it right out of the broiler, abandon your former plans. If you cook it longer, and above 145 F, it will be ruined.
You can NOT make pulled pork out of that extremely lean cut!

Fuck da po-lice. However I'll heed some of the words of those more experienced and throw a good tablespoon of rendered bacon fat in the slow cooker with it in addition to the other stuff.

For now, the meat rests. Shhhhh.

Here's the stuff I'm putting it in the slow cooker with minus a sprinkle more brown sugar.

Here it is with all the stuff in, ready to go. Smelling great, has a good crust, this should make it real tender and joocy.

Its a shame you're going ahead to ruin this. But you will probably like it anyway, so do what you must. I'm checking out of this thread.

Now we wait to see if I fucked up. I'm gonna leave it in 5 hours or so.

I have a couple questions since I'm going to be smoking some meat tomorrow in my smoker for the first time and didn't want to make a whole thread. I have a 7.5 lb pork butt (bone in) and a 4lb whole chicken. How long should I smoke them both? I read for pork you should do 1.25-1.5 hours per pound (so about 10 hours) but I have no idea for the chicken. Also how should I prep the chicken the night before? Just use a simple brine and then a rub before smoking? What are some good brine recipes?

Also my smoker has two levels, should I do pork on top, chicken on bottom or vice versa? Any tips for a beginner smoker?

if you have a probe thermometer, you should smoke the chicken for about 4.5 at 225 and the shoulder until it's got an internal temp of 170. at which time you should wrap it tightly in foil and return it to 225-250 smoker/oven until the internal temp reaches 203. then you should rest it for about an hour while the temperature is exactly the same throughout the entire shoulder. generally speaking a 7.5 lb shoulder should take about 8 hours.

>I'm going to be smoking some meat tomorrow
Faggot

Disregard times cook to temp. Pork butt cook to 195-205 ish then let sit for a bit then pull.

OP again, it turned out pretty good. Definitely doesn't compare to actually smoked barbecue, but it was quite nice on a toasted bun with red slaw and hush puppies on the side.

Pictures?

Sorry, I dropped my camera in the turlet.

Don't try and cook based on cook times. Get the butt to at least 195 and maintain for 30 minutes to an hour. Wrapping in foil is unnecessary if you have the time to properly smoke it.
Foil will speed up the internal temperature increase once you get to 170, but it will also damage your bark.
And speaking of bark, be careful cooking something above something else... I'd say it doesn't matter which one goes on the top rack, but the top WILL leak juices down onto whatever is below it, which will mean your chicken skin doesn't crisp up the way it should or the butt doesn't get as good of a bark as it should. I usually put foil below the top rack to keep the this from happening.
And I don't brine my chickens. I have before, but I never noticed a big enough increase in quality to warrant the hassle. I never have dry chickens either, so I think it's a waste of time.

>bbq
>oven

Sage

Sure thing pal. Shit ass thread

Meat, pulled and chopped a bit. Slightly dry but not bad.

Sauce, made of cider vinegar, brown sugar, cayenne, Frank's hot sauce, black pepper, and celery seeds. Helps with slight dryness.

ive eaten sawdust that was more moist

Slaw, made with chopped cabbage, ketchup, cider vinegar, more spices. Nice crunch and sweet contrast.

It looks significantly dryer than it is.

>pulled pork
>from pork tenderloins

Buy a fucking pork butt next time.

And don't say your making barbecue when you're cooking it in an oven, because you're not.

This story has been FUCKED since jump street... This is just classic /ck dipshit style fuck uppery. what a fucking moron.
.thanks for the "holy shitz" op.
Holy shitz.

This thread made me sad. This is my bbq for the day.

Wrong pic.

I had fun making and eating it, sorry?

Shitty smoke ring desu

>sorry

I should hope so. Those tendies could have been so much better.. :(

Thanks m8s. I was planning on going by temperature but I wanted to know when I should tell family over

>I just use an old Bustelo can to hold my spoons n shit
wow user you're so quirky lol

The smoke ring is caused by the gases in the smoke. Its an interaction between myoglobin and nitric oxide. The ring is not an indication of flavor.

Furthermore i like to smoke ribs between 275-285 in order to better render the fat, which further hampers smoke ring development. Also i like a dry cooking chamber in the beginning which also works against smoke ring development.

Somebody please post the image without the terrible subtitle and watermark.