Family food production

Is there any food item that your family makes in bulk together? I know Italian families sometimes gather together to make tons of marinara, etc.

My family is Bolivian so we make a specific type of empanada called salteñas, which are filled with chunks of meat, potato, onion, peas, raisins, and an olive in one end and a piece of hard boiled egg in the other end. They're super labor intensive and mom refuses to make them anymore unless we help her so every few months we gather specifically to make them. Did three batches, ended up with 120 this time, 50/50 beef and chicken.

Anyways, post your stuffs

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=uaDLfgLbfWU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Nah, everyone in my family basically hates eachother. Every winter I get a garbage bag filled with tamales, though. So I guess someone over on the mexican side of the family likes me. There's always one tamale with a pickle surprise in it. I wish I had grown up with them instead of the shitty English side.

Not really. My family hasn't been poor farmers in a couple hundred years, and they stopped being poor factory workers a few decades ago. We're pretty divorced from such traditions.

my moms beaner and she and her sisters make tamales every Christmas

My family gets together in October to make tortellini, raviolis, and lasagna for the thanksgiving Christmas season. Then again in early December for cookies and fudge. At least 4 gallon bags of tortellini and 4 of ravioli. It used to be 6 big lasagnas that she gives to each sibling divided into single serve portions to keep in the freezer. Now that all but one is out of university she only makes one lasagna for the day we make everything. Cookies and fudge are just gifts for relatives and family friends.

This. My family is a bland midwestern group from high education. We always had food and went out to eat a lot. Mom made very midwestern-style dinners. So we have no decent food culture or tradition to speak of. Which is fine, I guess. Having a lot of wealth in the family means a lot of vacations and being able to try foods from all over. still a bummer when it comes to holidays, though. Wish we had a bit more tradition.

My family will get together once a year to make ravioli. It isn't an "every February 31st" type deal or anything. Just when we all agree on a date when we're all available.
Grandpa and I make the dough, and all of the lady folk make the ravioli.

Southernfag myself. My parents still have a taste for traditional Southern foods, but my generation less so.

The most traditional my family ever got is the handful of times we did low-country boils.

Canadian here, this wasn't with the family, but for the four years I went to high school every early fall our culinary class would make large batches of homemade speggetie sauce together.

Asides from the my grandmother and I come together in the late summer and make a large sum of pies left crust uncooked and frozen for later consumption. Tortiare, chicken pot pie, strawberry rhubarb, apple cinnamon, pumpkin pie (if the pumpkins are ready), blueberry, cherry, ext.

>a garbage bag filled with tamales
Top kek at this whole post. I bet they are fucking delicious tho

we had cousins around the same age nearby so every year we made a day out of baking and decorating gingerbread houses. not exactly the same idea but similar

How can you guys not make food with family? (Provided they aren't insufferable pricks, of course)

Every major holiday my entire family and extendeds get together and cook. Doesn't even need to be a holiday, sometimes you just find a convenient weekend to roast a pig or lamb on a spit, distill rakija or whatever you might feel like.

I really love going to those things. Good food and good family are really underrated things, especially in today's time and society.

It's been a couple of year since we started making wild boar daube for family and friends helping us picking grape and making wine.
>tfw the hustle to set up temperature monitoring finally paid back

>a specific type of empanada called salteñas, which are filled with chunks of meat, potato, onion, peas, raisins, and an olive in one end and a piece of hard boiled egg in the other end.

That's pretty damn specific all right. Is picrelated? How big are these things? I'm visualizing an empanada as long as a full-grown man's arm that gets sliced-and-diced at family gatherings to feed 20 people. They have feats of strength to decide who gets the end pieces, and whoever gets the olive has to do the dishes.

we are black so we all get to together ('cept dad) and make nuffin

my rich ex would get like 200 bucks worth of dungeness crabs and lobsters for mothers day dinner and they would go nuts.
i saw a bunch of Polynesians make 40 racks of pork ribs for pulled pork maddness. they were like animals

In the U.S., my family would often have get-togethers where whoever was hosting would put out an enormous spread of food for the dozen-to-fifty-or-so people there, but food prep wasn't usually communal beyond the host's immediate family.

Our families have spread out so much that I don't recall having any occasions like that in at least 20 years now, and with my parents' generation dying off, I doubt I'll ever see another.

When I was a kid, we'd all go out and spend the weekend picking wild mustang grapes and then spend the week making jam and wine. Mustang jam is the fucking best. The wine is good too, but a little sweet for my tastes.

i made and froze 60 empanadas a month ago, it took me a couple hours, its not fucking labor intensive at all
Im surprised to see a bolivian that speaks english and owns a computer as half of your country doesnt even speak spanish, whats up with that?

pelmeni and spring rolls

breast milk

It took us 1.5 hours to finish 120 but there were bottlenecks in the production line, mostly just from rolling out and stretching the dough- this dough in particular is finicky and contracts significantly after being stretched. I was born in the USA and am indistinguishable from any white person of European descent (parents were criollos)

If there is some reason to have a get together we usually just have a simple BBQ. Dad and myself cook the meat outside over a few beers and mum and the sisters make up the salads inside. Not really a tradition, but it's nice to then bring it all together and sit down and enjoy it with everyone

thats quite an acomplishment for your family
how many generations american are you?

first, parents came here for college in the 80's

bump

Rice dumplings, and

...dumplings. I am trying to keep the family tradition surrounded by whites.

Finished product wrapped, and cooked, unwrapped and split open.

i hate my family and hope most of them die

Well that's a little extreme. . . .

Kinda looks like this
youtube.com/watch?v=uaDLfgLbfWU

when i'm still a student, every year the family will make it together and i'll be stuck with cleaning the god damn chestnut. Finished product is later given to relatives or friends, they'll also give theirs to us. Now i'm working abroad, kinda miss these time.

I don't think I've ever had a large "everybody cooks the meal" type of scenario ever happen.
22 year old white american living in California.
Somebody cooks food alone since other people get in the way and then everyone is pissy for the night.

Xmas is kind of like that, at least on my mother's side of the family. Between the group, there's 3-4 separate dinners cooked for the day, as everyone spends it at home doing what they want.
Then the day after, everyone descends on grandma and brings their leftovers after having made too much. There's turkey and duck, someone's usually brought sausages and rolled bacon and/or sausages wrapped in bacon, various vegetables and sauces and types of stuffing. Bits are reheated, bits are eaten cold, and everyone spends the meal catching up and making fun of each other as only family can. Then there's a board game if someone's remembered to bring one, and eventually some sort of cake.

I think it's mostly a way of checking that nobody's gone insane over the previous year.

Ayyyy 粽子 my man