What does Veeky Forums think about keto?

What does Veeky Forums think about keto?

Other urls found in this thread:

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2716748/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

gay af
kys

cooking sucks without carbs desu

Tastes like shit, destroys athletic performance and is incredibly unhealthy. What could go wrong?

i'm never giving this up.

Many people would benefit from eating less carbohydrates, but not so little they enter ketogenesis.

Many people like who? You mean like people in Thailand and South America where most everybody is slim and healthy?

I wonder what could possibly go wrong in this thread. Anyway, keto is too but lowcarb is the best diet.

Idiot

>3rd world
>healthy

Having done it for a little over a week now, I can tell you the following things have happened:

>I've lost about 10 pounds
>the usual host of stuff that happens when you drop refined sugars from your diet - natural sugars are sweeter, etc
>I've actually been able to eat considerably less and still feel full, and have substantially cut down on snacking throughout the day
>my refrigerator is fully stocked for the first time in probably months if not longer, and it's about 90% fresh veggies
>I'm effectively forced to cook/prepare food for myself rather than be a lazy fuck and just get fast food

I've been chubbyfat literally my entire life, and am fucking sick of it. If giving up bread and sticking to veggies and healthy fats for nutrition is how I stop that, I'll never touch a loaf of bread again if I have to.

>slim
>healthy
>hilarious diabetus rate from all calories being white rice

I do keto and fasting frequently because it feels like being on adderall. Sometimes in the morining I just eat a krill oil pill, drink some black coffee, smoke a bowl, then go cycle after a couple hours. When I get back I'm so enrgetic I'm almost tweaking. It's the best feeling ever. If I'm still hungry i cook some bacon to keep the buzz going

The diabetes rate in 1950s China, Thailand and Japan was around 0%. Calories from carbohydrates in the form of white rice around 80%. Diabetes has gone up dramatically as consumption of white rice has gone down and consumption of fat and animal products has gone up.

Why do you just make things up on the spot? Are you retarded or Jewish?

I can't speak for everyone, but I think it's amazing. Cutting down on carbs does suck initially, but once you're past the induction phase, you won't be able to stand the taste of certain things you once ate. My ravenous sweet tooth is gone and has been replaced with a lust for fine cheeses. I've started menstruating again, after suffering from PCOS and thyroid issues. I'm bursting with energy, my hair is growing back, my nails are stronger, my libido is up, LDL cholesterol is down, and my brain fog is gone.

>I do keto and fasting frequently because it feels like being on adderall.
That's a pretty good way to describe it. All I have in the morning is coffee with a little heavy cream and I'm set until dinner.

Yeah, but the amount of rice they eat hasnt changed to compensate for the other shit they consume - instead of massive ass bowls of rice and little else, it's massive ass bowls of rice alongside everything else.

To get into ketosis, you guys eat less than 20g carbs a day?

I've been trying to keep my intake at ~20g. It's challenging for me, personally. After about week I've already noticed weight loss, so this is pretty cool. When I get over this cold I'm going to step up my exercise routine to compliment the diet.

>The diabetes rate in 1950s China, Thailand and Japan was around 0%.
>Life expectancy was also 25 years shorter oh whoops there goes my stupid argument

Ok?

Keto imo is one of the easiest plans to stick to
It's how I originally lost all of my excess weight, helped me learn tons of new recipes, and overall experiment with different seasonings and different ways to cook things.
The only thing I really craved though were fruit
Planning to go back on it in the next few weeks since it made me feel great desu

>To get into ketosis, you guys eat less than 20g carbs a day?
Net carbs. Say you're eating a cup of spinach. That's 1g carbs and .7g of fiber. Subtract the fiber from the carbs and you're left with about .3g of net carbs.

>When I get over this cold I'm going to step up my exercise routine to compliment the diet.
Make sure you keep your electrolytes up.

>statistics from backwards, blood-thirsty countries over 60 years ago are accurate or relevant
Hah!

>Make sure you keep your electrolytes up.

Fiber too. Hoo man, taking a high fat, low-fiber shit is NOT something I'd recommend. Especially if you've been eating jalapeno peppers.

If you want to be healthy, your meal should be plant based and not meat based. Although, I do think keto does have a place in the short term for weight loss. I wouldn't do it for the long term since meat tends to have an inflammatory effect on the body.

Thanks guys!

By the way, have you bothered with those urine test strips to test for ketones, or is that pointless?

buy the strips

I've been doing it for a year and 4 months, lost 90lbs so far. You need to eat the right stuff though, you should be munching on chicken breasts, fish, shrimp, lean beef etc not sausage bacon and pork rinds

All of your carbs should come from veggies, don't eat a reeses cup because you can "afford" it.

>day one
>feeling fine

>day two and three
>my body and mood feels different. not in a negative way, i just feel something's off

>day four
>suden stomach ache. feel sick as fuck. hunched over the toilet bowl for an hour, just puking and puking

>continues until day five
>give up and eat some bananas
>sickness gone in less than an hour, feel completely fine again
>say fuck it and just eat normal food while counting my calories

Keto is not for me. i've never felt sicker. it was as if my entire stomach was twisted in a knot and i got dizzy every time i stood up.
and i did everything right too. i kept carbs to under 30-20g and ate lots of fatty food like eggs and meat while taking vitamin pills.

They're highly inaccurate, so you're better off getting a blood ketone meter.

>Especially if you've been eating jalapeno peppers.
Yeah, I had jalapeno-cheddar soup this morning. My husband (also keto) was in and out of the bathroom at least 5 times in the span of two hours because he hasn't been paying attention to his fiber. Yikes.

That largely depends on the person. I grew up vegetarian and, to help deal with health issues, I went vegan for a few years. It nearly destroyed my body because, for whatever reason, I can't handle carbs. Eating moderate meat and high fat does the opposite for me.

90 in 4 months! Incredible. Appreciate the advice.

>buy the strips
They're too inaccurate. They don't measure all types of ketones produced by the body, only what you excrete via urine. And as you become keto adapted, you're going to be peeing less ketones. Hydration can also really mess up the reading.

That sounds a lot like keto flu. Did you keep your electrolytes and water intake up? My husband went through the same thing (with additional side effects) because he didn't listen when I told him to drink broth with me. I ended up avoiding it completely.

i drank a lot water, but i can't remember what i did for electrolytes.

When you up your water, you have to up your electrolytes as well. I drank a lot of bone broth and added Lite Salt to everything.

>I drank a lot of bone broth

What does it feel like to be unaware of what stock was until you learned about it's new name via a fad diet?

Lost over 100 lbs on keto

Was pretty easy and not terrible, but as far as cuisine goes it can be lame, I ended up mostly eating the same few things for the duration

Keto can be great for weight loss for someone who's disciplined enough and knows what they're doing, so basically it's shit for most fatties

Goes without saying keto isn't the most culinarily interesting thing

Remember that magnesium and potassium are also electrolytes you might be lacking (potassium especially, considering you were fine after the banana.) There's a reason you see avacados and spinach in so many keto food lists.

>What does it feel like to be unaware of what stock was until you learned about it's new name via a fad diet?
I knew what it was, but if you read above, I was vegetarian/vegan for many years. I always say vegetable broth or bone broth when I'm talking to people so they know exactly what I mean.

>fad diet
>been around since the early 1900s to treat epilepsy
pick one

>it's good at treating epilepsy, so other people should do it too!
literally the definition of a fad diet

its clearly good at a lot more than that though

>so they know exactly what I mean.

As opposed to saying "chicken stock" or "vegetable stock"?

>pick one
I pick fad diet.

Just because it's been around for ages doesn't mean it's not a fad. In the last several years it's massive surge in popularity is clearly a fad.

> I went vegan for a few years. It nearly destroyed my body because, for whatever reason, I can't handle carbs. Eating moderate meat and high fat does the opposite for me.
You should go to the nearest university and become a case study, given that your case would refute decades of established science according to which it does not "depend on the person" whether saturated fat and cholesterol will destroy your body.

>As opposed to saying "chicken stock" or "vegetable stock"?
I use those as well.

yes, it is, but like pointed out, it's still, quite literally, a fad diet, in the sense that it has become a fad for no good reason, even if there are good reasons

it works for weight loss but not worth it in the long run

it's the same damn thing

>You should go to the nearest university and become a case study, given that your case would refute decades of established science according to which it does not "depend on the person" whether saturated fat and cholesterol will destroy your body.
I had very high LDL cholesterol and low HDL before keto, which is somehow linked to my PCOS. Now my HDL is up, LDL is lower, and overall cholesterol is lower. It's a pretty common thing to read about if you hang out on keto forums. It's not associated with weight loss either, because I've pretty much stayed the same.

Veeky Forums tier debate

p. sad tbhh

>going to your rotten shithole of a circlejerk community to communicate with other mongoloids about their anecdotes

No thanks

You're adorable.

What the fuck did you ate to be sick to the point of vomiting in four days ?

>i'm posting for some reason

I read that as "sucking cocks without carbs desu."

you need a bi-daily dose of protein to make up for all those carbs, user

>smoke a bowl
DEGENERATES
OFF
MY
WHOLSOME
COOKING
BOARD
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

re-read

16months

I still piss on the far end of positive after 2 months of solid keto, and I have a cheat weekend about that often to reset.

no idea, i'm not a nutritionist.
i ate according to the instructions, counted all my cals, carbs, proteins, fats, you name it. it came out of nowhere too. i just got really sick.
i've read a bit about the keto flu, and if one of the other posters here are correct, i guess i just forgot to watch my electrolytes.

Doesn't that make you wonder that your body is breaking under the stress of an addiction to carbs?

Everyone else is able to smoothly cut out carbs. Why can't you? Doesn't that concern you?

it works.

it's the only diet that's different from any other diet.

ketogenesis is scientifically proven.

We figured out why, was missing key nutrients. please read the rest of the thread.

the keto flu happens. it can last up to two weeks. the worse it is, the worse your addiction to sugar.

go through with it.

Not sure if this is satire or actual cultists

low carb just means a low amount of carbs, usually 50-150 g a day. To enter ketosis you need to eat a lot of fat and usually not more than 15-30 g carbs a day. ketogenic diets' pure intention is to enter ketosis.

It's not the same thing dumbass, keto is under 20-30g of carbs, lowcarb is under 50 or 100.

>people post relevant information in a thread about a specific topic
>HURR CULT SHIT STOP NOW
fuck off bread addict

>to enter ketosis you need to eat a lot of fat

I think the idea is that the fat you're eating (preferrably mono/poly unsaturated) is just a replacement source of the calories you need to just keep existing, since you're no longer getting as many calories from carbs. Less "eating lots of fat" and more "replacing carbs as your primary energy source."

>anything i don't like is a cult

is this a cult mentality?

>Less "eating lots of fat" and more "replacing carbs as your primary energy source."
This.

is it really wrong to say eat a lot of fat though? what food cultures with (sort of) balanced nutritients eat as much fat as people on keto?

and yes I have minimal experience with it, so you're welcome to roast me if I'm completely off

read the fucking Veeky Forums sticky and get this fad diet horse shit off of my board

>is it really wrong to say eat a lot of fat though?
It depends on the individual and their goals. You only need fat for sating hunger, and depending on the person, it may not be a lot. But of course there are people that chug bulletproof coffee all day.

You're not on Veeky Forums. Also, carb cycling on keto is a thing for those that lift and find it difficult to make gains.

Meme diet for wannabe vegans

That depends on what you would and wouldn't consider "balanced nutrients," but Inuits have a nutrient balance of about 50/30/20 fat/protein/carbs, due to the necessity of the environment.

You're a fucking idiot, son.

>wannabe vegans
wut

>vegans

>the diet where people may eat nothing but meat

it's literally the opposite of what you said it is

>wannabe vegans
>the diet almost always consists of massive amounts of meat-based proteins
you alright pal?

Eating a lot of fat causes heart disease. Keto diet causes heart disease and diabetes.

that's the most retarded thing i've ever heard. fat is literally what keeps your gluons well lubricated. heart disease is caused by sugar-inflammation. anytime you eat sugar, your body becomes inflammed.

Are you the vegan shill the infests /fat/?

Nice memes. The guy literally did your meme diet for a year shoving butter down his throat to prove a point and then his fucking heart exploded like a Muslim

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2716748/
"The present study shows the beneficial effects of a long-term ketogenic diet. It significantly reduced the body weight and body mass index of the patients. Furthermore, it decreased the level of triglycerides, LDL cholesterol and blood glucose, and increased the level of HDL cholesterol. Administering a ketogenic diet for a relatively longer period of time did not produce any significant side effects in the patients. Therefore, the present study confirms that it is safe to use a ketogenic diet for a longer period of time than previously demonstrated."

Want more?

>shoveling so much fat in their stupid fucking heads they cant understand a basic analogy

Disgusting stupid fucks

I seriously hope you are joking...

I tried it once and got sick.

Also had a lot of digestive problems.

lol dumbass

there's no coming back from comparing the keto diet to vegans.

I didnt compare the diet you fucking retarded zero

Nice response, really convincing

The study is shit. It's shit even among all the studies you could have possibly picked to cast keto in a good light. You should be able to see why the study is totally useless and shouldn't even have been done because of how big of a waste of time it is.

Explain

>put patients on keto diet
>as per usual with keto studies, patients lose weight
>also following long term and see no significant negative side effects

What's the issue?

Then what comparison were you trying to make? We're not dogmatic or running around telling people that they should be keto, then shitting on them because we have the "superior" morals (not that all vegans do this, I just don't get what other comparison you could be making). We're just giving advice to those that are interested or may be struggling. If you don't want to do it, that's fine. Not my business.

>we're not dogmatic

LMAO

Can you even give examples?

Your triggered ass for one

This is what happens when you spout your stupid opinion on a subject you obviously know nothing about.

Response =/= triggered. I just asked a question.

Still nothing, huh?