I make grocery store sushi. AMA!

how do you live with yourself

are ingredients premade? Like the stuff that goes in the rice?

How do you receive your fish, like what portions is it in before you get it?

Is it pumped with gas to stop browning before closing the package?

Do I like boys?

Where did it all go wrong

do you like the taste

How fresh is it? What cuts of fish get chosen to be made into "sushi?"

Whatever doesn't get sold at the fish counter

How can you call what you make sushi when the rice doesn't even have vinegar?

>OP starts a thread

>too garbage to answer any questions

This is why you work at a fucking grocery store you subhuman. I would tell you to enjoy being mediocre but you're less than that

this

Full time college student, so miserable like my peers.
-Some ingredients are, including the rice vinegar mix, masago, wasabi tobikko, etc. Most ingredients else we prep ourselves.
-Fish comes frozen with skin, bones, etc taken out. Salmon comes in halves, tuna comes in vacuumed sealed packages. All sushi grade, which really just means frozen quickly after catching, remaining frozen until we need it, and no chemical additives.
-All the sushi is made that day, and gets thrown away at night so no browning should occur.
- That depends on you silly.
It's alright, nothing amazing. White people go crazy for it.
20 years ago.
Sort of answered it above, will go to detail in a bit.
It does, it's a rice vinegar mix. Our company gives us containers with the pre-mixed vinegar.
I'm sorry my post made you upset. Forgive me senpai.

Some times I grab the sushi before I shop and eat it before I leave, then hide the box.

>actually replies

I take back everything i said

Our fish comes from vendors, because we have to use better fish then what is sold from our seafood department. The salmon and smoked salmon come in halves, deboned, no skin, and ready to cut. Our tuna comes in rectangular vacuum sealed packages. It's good quality fish. As far as cuts, we use the whole salmon. Because the tuna comes the way it does, I really can't say the particular cut. But it's a divine red color when we first use it, so I believe it's good quality.

Some people do. I get paid regardless, so it doesn't affect me much. We've had kids arrested before for stealing sushi, though
loss prevention focuses on more expensive items.
I don't blame you, I forgot about this post for a bit. No hard feelings.

at what point in the process do you add the laxatives

>White people go crazy for it.
Probably because all white people care about sushi is that it's fresh and tastes good, they don't consider sushi shit if not every piece of sushi has the same amount of rice grains arranged in the same order or if the thickness of the cuts deviates by more than 0.01%

That, and they like the sauces we put on top. Most of the popular rolls come with spicy mayo and "sushi sauce" drizzled on top, which makes eating it a bit messy but they like the flavor.

We offer brown rice options too, which are a natural laxative. That's about it though.

Why the fuck should we care?

If you didn't care, you wouldn't have commented numbnuts.

Does the rice fall apart the moment it touches one's mouth?

Do you hating going out for sushi now?

Are all your coworkers Asian?

Do you wash the rice, and use a jap grain?

Do all of your rolls have avocado in them, and why is the answer to that question "Yes"?

It's sticky, never had an issue with that while working here.
I actually do go out for sushi still. By no means am I a sushi expert, but since I know basic sushi, I'm less intimidated of trying different things.
90% of them are Korean. Our company is predominately Korean too.
We wash the rice a good 5-6 times, and use short grain rice. Medium grain works too, but using large won't make the rice sticky.
Most rolls do, but not all. My best guess would be that because it's usually enjoyed by most people, it's used as a quality "filler" by most sushi sold in grocery stores and kiosks. Same thing with cream cheese.

Can I smell your fingers?

How can I get a girl to let me put it in her butt?

I can pretend to be a girl senpai ;-)

If you were to ask nicely, sure, why not?
Be nice and gentle with her. A back massage might get her in the mood, but each girl is different. Also always use lube.

What do I ask for if I want to make Sushi at home?

Sushi-grade? Do most grocery stores carry sushi-grade fish? Is there another name?

Crippling social anxiety have always made me too afraid to ask the wrong thing and look dumb.

For sushi rice, you need short or medium grain rice, rice vinegar, salt, and sugar. Whenever I make it, I rinse 2 cups of rice 5-6 times, then cook it in a rice cooker. When that's done, I put 2 tbsp of rice vinegar, 2 tbsp of sugar, and 1 tsp of salt in a saucepan and put that on a low boil until it all mixes well. Add that to the rice, and you should have sticky rice then. There are better recipes online, but that's a start.
You'll also need nori/seaweed paper and a rolling mat. All of those items are found in the ethnic food section at my grocery store. That's all for sushi, the ingredients are up to you.
As far as fish, I can't really help you there. I have yet to find sushi grade fish outside of my work, but ask your sea-food department if they carry sushi grade fish. I live in Texas, so I'm certain I won't find any. Don't be afraid to ask though.

That's fucked

why haven't you killed yourself yet

look for tuna with fat on it, it'll be expensive

do you ever just want to take a machete to those drumpf voting cumskins?

It's not true where I work at least, since using anything raw that isn't sushi grade can easily get someone sick. And sick people tend to sue, so we have strict standards on where we get ingredients, proper methods of defrosting, etc.
Still feel like I'm too young to do that. Maybe one day.
I don't particularly care where they lean politically, since they're friendly and consistent customers.

>I live in Texas, so I'm certain I won't find any.
You'd be surprised, if you're anywhere near the Gulf Coast, there is a ton of sushi-grade yellowfin that comes out of there.

Making grocery store sushi is the culinary equivalent of drawing dicks with crayons

I never had "authentic" sushi. What's the rice supposed to taste like?

Are you Japanese?

Assuming you're not, how long did it take you to learn the "proper technique"?

You've never tasted Mirin? It's just sticky rice with sweet vinegar, dried with a fan.

That's no where near proper.

The rice has so much water in it. Just look at that gloopy mess.

Why store sought rice all have shit tons of water?

you from Na west coast?

Bagboy for Lucky Supermarket, lemme hit this thread with a fun happening.
>Sunday evening, fairly heavy customer traffic
>Pass by the fresh meat department and the meat cutter there tells me to "watch for a guy carrying $80 of sirloin" because he thinks he's gonna try to lift them from the store
>Don't pay much heed to that, I don't get paid enough for security
>Head into an aisle to pick up something that fell onto the floor
>A 20 year old looking customer walks by trying to wrestle with five big paper wrappings and a bottle of the fanciest olive oil the store offers into his arms
>Feel bad for his poor attempts of juggling, so I approach him and ask if he'd like me to fetch him a shopping cart or a handbasket for all that shit
>"SECURITY SCAN ALL AISLES" blares over the intercom as this happens
>He double-takes and hastily hands me all this stuff, going "I-I got a call just now, we don't need this anymore", and leaves
>The manager, the head clerk, and the meat cutter from earlier were all standing right outside the entrance and are watching him like hawks, giving him the staredown as he went to the parking lot
>Apparently that was the guy trying to shoplift fucking cattle meat of all things, and I stopped him cold without knowing it
The higher ups gave me a bonus on my last paycheck because of that. Makes me wonder if busting shoplifters is actually that important to grocery stores.

>Makes me wonder if busting shoplifters is actually that important to grocery stores.
it's a pretty big deal for retail from what i understand, you guys have lower margins. one good thing about working in fast food is no one cares where anything goes since you can barely keep track of it anyway

i KNEW you threw it away! This is why I have no qualms coming in at my 24 hr and taking 2-3 of them and scanning them bitches as bananas

There was that previous grocery store thread here where that OP said something like "one stolen bottle of Pepsi needs five more sold to recover from the loss". That's real fucking low.

yeah, the margins in fast food are absolutely ridiculous, but that should be obvious seeing as you can make almost any fast food dish for half the cost yourself. when i worked at panera bread a small mac n cheese cost us around $1 and retails for like $5-6 or some shit. and all we did was microwave it. fast food is seriously a scam

Gimbap is easier to make and you can make it with meat.

Good to know, thank you.
It should be sticky and have a taste of rice vinegar. There are different recipes that call for mirin, sake, etc, but there should always be rice vinegar.
I'm Mexican actually. It's just one of those things where if you do something long enough, you eventually get better at it. You realize not to squeeze too much when rolling, how much rice to use, how to quickly cut it, etc when you do it hundreds of times.
Texas actually.
Sushi doesn't last long, so it has to be thrown away at the end of the day. If you feel that justifies theft, your choice.
My bosses actually make me Gimbap from time to time. They use egg, meat, and other stuff. I enjoy it.

This right here is why I never buy fast food for myself unless I can get gift cards at severe (50%+) discounts.

It's supposed to fall apart inside your mouth. You're making bad Suishi otherwise.

Where did your life go wrong?

nm, , beat me to it

>used to work in a grocery store that had sushi
>customer comes up to me and asks where the sushi is
>tell him
>minutes later my co-worker notices the same guy acting weird, constantly coming in and out of the store with different hats on
>call managers on him
>apparently the managers stopped him when they noticed he had an entire party tray of cookies under his sweater
I still wonder how much pocket sushi he made out of the store with

People like you are why my local grocery store doesn't have a self-checkout anymore. Unless you take the time to pick ones that are about to pass the sell by date, in which case you're probably just screwing employees out of lunch.

My wife used to own a chain of those sushi stations across Safeways.

Most people aren't aware they are privately owned small businesses operating inside Safeway.

OP - are you just a roll monkey or do you own your location?

Roll monkey, though I prep ingredients too. This is just a part time job for my while I'm in college.

>I still wonder how much pocket sushi he made out of the store with

I once went to a restaurant with a conveyor belt with people in the middle making sushi and putting it on plates on the belt for people sitting around the belt to pick off. A lady came over and sat to my left and kept fiddling with her purse and when I looked over I noticed that she had a bigass Ziploc bag in there and was stuffing sushi into it.

The owner of that restaurant later burned it for the insurance money and got caught, which caused his other restaurant to close down.

the stop n shop ones are great, $7 gets you massive 12 piece rolls that are just fish and rice, and they are THICC

meanwhile over at king kullen its $11 with barely any fish, the majority of the roll is avocado and cucumber. and for some reason they cover everything with those crispy onion things and mayonnaise

Does your mama-san own a chain of stands or just yours?

Don't you still pay by the plate for those types of stores anyways?
If she wasn't putting plates into her putse or back onto the conveyer belt, it shouldn't matter, right?

My boss just owns a single one. I have heard of others owning several though.

>Don't you still pay by the plate for those types of stores anyways?

I don't know if that's the case most of the time but it wasn't the case at this restaurant, you paid a set amount (IIRC it was fairly steep compared to the regular buffet) and could sit in there until you were full. That's pretty much the only reason I tried it, I figured I could eat a shitload of sushi and get my money's worth.

How much was it, and are there al la carte items that are a bonus charge even if you buy the buffet?
I would presume that is the case, but I'm not certain for yours.

IIRC it was about $25, and there were menus at each seating station but I never looked at them because I assumed they were for drinks and I was too young for alcohol.

I love this stuff

>tastes good
explain the avocado then, genius

Do you guys realize that you're not supposed to mash the rice together? It is supposed be pressed just enough to stick together but not to the point where it becomes hard as a brick. It's supposed to be able to breath.

ironically, I think this is deliberate because burgers insist on eating it with chopsticks and insist on using chopsticks like a pair of pliers. good sushi would just crumble before it got to their mouth, they need the brick.

We do know that, and for the most part we do follow through. Problem is that more emphasis tends to be placed on getting sushi out quickly for sushi kiosks rather then making it the best it can be. Along with that, keeping it on the display refrigerator makes it harder too.
Next time, say you have an allergy to something and ask them to make it specific for you. It should taste a lot better with room temperature rice.