Finest of all spirits

Lets talk rum anons - where do you find the sweet spot is for flavour vs price as (naturally) the sky is the limit. Do you like overproof? Have a preference for spiced over golden (lol white rum)?

Any hidden gems in the lower price brackets that aren't piss colured napalm. Remember, rum is not for getting shitfaced on as fast as possible - thats why vodka exists.

Pic related is my current personal favourite as I find it extremely smooth and virtually no burn but I am trying others in this price bracket (currently have a bottle of Traveller's 11 year old kill devil to try and I anticipate great things at 46%).

On the cheap end of things I do suggest Old Monk if you can get it and none of that captain morgan's swill.

Other urls found in this thread:

ronroble.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Kraken is great price for quality, in my opinion

Kraken is nice but equally it is heavily spiced which can be a turn off. That said I find it is a fantastic mixer and you can make some interesting cocktails with it.

I tasted my first cuban rum havana club. And it was extremely sweet. Is this how every rum tastes?

I personally find the stuff swill but that aside rum is generally going to be sweet compared a lot of other spirits (especially when compared to vodka).

Can't drink rum anymore it reminds me too much of my dad.

I like flor de cana 7 year. I want to try the 13 year, but 50 is a chunk for something I've never had.

>diplomatico reserva
good taste. I honestly hope rum doesn't get popular like bourbon, because you can get some incredible rums for relatively cheap whereas the only decent bourbons keep getting more and more expensive

Rum is still seen as for manly men and doesn't have the stigma of young people getting shitfaced on it that say, tequila or vodka does.

Also if you want to try an unusual rum try Pyrat rum - its heavily orange flavourted. I didn't liek it but it doesn't mean I couldn't appreciate it for being good.

What I actually really wish is that there were cheaper options for mezcal. At least in nyc (where all liquor is abnormally expensive) the bottles start at $30 for the Vida Del Maguey. Which is tasty but there's almost no other options under 40 and it goes rapidly up from there.

been a while since I had Pyrat, I should give it a go again

This. It's tasty stuff, but harsh as fuck.

For slightly less extreme tastes, Mount Gay. It's lovely and smooth, and a good price for the quality.

Ever heard of Pirate's Grog? I find it dangerously smooth at its price point because it has very little taste (this is bot ha positive and a negative). 37.5% that tastes closer to 10% means it can easily be slammed neat right until you keel over from acohol poisoning.

Since there are rum fans here, what's a good rum for people who like rum as a mixer but find it too strong when you drink it straight? Never considered just using it as a sippy drink.

Like others mentioned, Diplomatico is my go to. If it's too strong, put it on ice, if it's too strong on ice, make a semi-manhattan out of it (bit of sweet vermouth and bitters), or add lemon and a splash of some sort of liqueur (domaine de canton is great)

Depends entirely upon what you are willing to spend on a mixer. If you just want something that mixes with cola Kraken and Bacardi Oakheart are solid choices (along with capatain morgans and if yoiu can get it Lamb's navy rum).

If you want something that could be drunk on its own but isn't too expensive to mix the likeso f Old Monk, Duppy Share and Brugal Anejo are viable options.

To be fair diplomatico is a lot of money if one is unsure exactly where their preference lies in rum.

Though it does remind me i've always wanted to get some of the more premium stuff the likes of Ron Millonario make.

not at all
try bacardi black

>Pampero Aniversario
Venezuelan blackstrap, 80 proof. Very smooth molasses sweetness, oakiness, and minerality. Subtle smoky and anise undertones.

It's hard to beat for $22, and it has the added benefit of being produced with communist slave labor. You can almost taste the despair.

I'll just leave this pic here.
1000 alcoholics have 1000 tastes.
My favorite is pic. related. Don Papa. It's not as pricy as let's say Zacapa 23yo, but it has incredibly complex flavor. Really awesome

I like Zaya a lot, relatively affordable but super tasty

Kraken tastes like liquid candy

Zaya 12 year is pretty good, and I recently tried Total Wine's Cane Mill 8 year, and while not amazing it's pretty good for $15 or so.

Newfag here
Essentially, what is the difference between rum and whiskey?

Whiskey is made of grains and rum is made of sugar cane.

Oh wow
Interesting
Thanks user

Been thinking about slowly getting into liquor to save money
Usually spend way too much on beer cause I drink so much so fast
I think I'd be able to pace myself with liquor though, I'm a lightweight

You can save a lot more money by not being an alcoholic.

You can get a good aged rum for like half the price of a good aged whiskey

yeah but thats gay

I appreciate the concern but I dont think I'm an alcoholic
Just love strong flavors like beer and black coffee
Which reminds me, I'd save thousands a year if I didn't buy a bag of coffee a week
But it keeps me content

That's fortunate
Never did like the taste of whiskey, even the super fancy expensive bottles my roomate brings home from time to time
Any recommendations for me to try as a beginner?

Zaya's bretty gud and only like $30.

Noted
Will pick up a bottle soon and give it the old college try
I'm gonna try drinking it straight
Don't like fruity mixed drinks so I figure I'll probably just come to appreciate the taste like with coffee

El Dorado 12year rum is my shit. Dont get the 8 year, somehow the 3 year is better than that shit. El Diplomatico is my favorite tho.

Ron Barcelo is a family favorite (Dominican rum)

Anyone else here praise the new king of black spiced rum?

aw man user I'm sorry

Venezuelan rum lover here, personally i would recommend Roble Rum. It isnt very well known worldwide but damn it is amazing.

ronroble.com/

Also Santa Teresa rum is a classic down here.

Stay away from Cacique tho, it blows

Whats the best rum mixed drink?

Bahama Mama

Ill try one this week.

does anyone drink white rum over ice? like, just as it's own drink? because I've been looking for other spirits to get into. I really like gin and drink it over icequite a bit.

>white rum
For what purpose?

i'm a type 1 diabetic and sometimes spiced rum does weird things to my blood sugar

Get some normal rum. Not spiced, not white. Mount Gay and Appleton Estate are good inexpensive ones.

>"normal rum"
Nobody here knows what decent, unadulterated food is, they think "normal" means the kind with ranch and artificial flavors, you should only refer to things by SKU number

Ok, portuguese guy here who used to make mojitos and whatever. what's a decent/sub-15 euros rum that I can get and what can I mix it with, keeping in mind my alcohol budget is 20 euros at most. Oh and I drink more than a sailor (you know the expression he drinks like a sailor, right?)

I have now. I will try and find some.

I'm mostly limited to what the store I work at stocks, because staff discount and the shitty shitty traffic in the area that dissuades me from visiting smaller stores.

This thread has been very helpful for me, I've only had a handful of rums ever, most of my friends hate the stuff

I've only had sailor Jerry which is decent because it's 92 proof, but it's flavor is too bland, and you definitely taste the alcohol, which is intense at first. I've also had captain Morgan silver, and i didn't like the flavor as much

But both of these were cheap shit because I'm poor

I drink it out of the freezer all the time.

>Rum is still seen as for manly men and doesn't have the stigma of young people getting shitfaced on it that say, tequila or vodka does
no it isn't

It kinda is m8. No idea what circles you drink in

Why isn't posting spiced rum a bannable offence?

>drinking circles
>rating things on their "manliness"
He's probably an adult.

>Rum is still seen as for manly men

Rum is what every college slut drinks.

>Remember, rum is not for getting shitfaced on as fast as possible
Don't tell me how to drink, you fucking queer.

This thread is reddit and OP is the son of a single mother.

This is really good stuff but really hard to find where I live. Shits cheap too.

oh shit a real rum thread, you don't know how excited this gets me

el dorado 12 year for me please

I'm not even joking, this is legitimately great rum. Especially for the price. But you'll probably argue with me even though you haven't tried it just because it's Captain Morgan.

Since when has rum ever been seen as a "manly men" drink? It's always been about cheap booze frat/sorority/party cluster fuck lmao.

Also Pyrat is objectively absolute shit.

You're thinking of vodka.