1/2

Other urls found in this thread:

chat.whatsapp.com/BXEduIdFoFsCZcsTXbYdwt
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loeb_Classical_Library
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

2/2

ps check my digits

1/3

Mine's about to not look as nice, though. Bought a house that doesn't have any long, non-windowed walls like my apartment now does.

You should not have posted that last shelf.

whoops that was several months back, real 1/3

but it's the most patrician one

2/3

3/3, non-fic bookcase

Good books, but since they all look brand new, you're probably some OCD freak, and since I'm guessing you don't like buying used books, you're missing out on the fun of visiting used book stores, and since you'd rather buy brand new you're probably bad with money and an overall imprudent person. 3/10 wouldn't want to date.

Saramago! Proud of you

After looking at it a bit longer, I have to agree, but only because of that Kizu movie poster in the bottom left corner. I should have known from all that jap lit

I like your Jlit, OP. Who's your favorite Japanese author so far?

repost

>tfw when you trying to show off your Veeky Forumscore bookshelf but accidentally dox yourself

The toilet paper fits in well

I was about to talk shit about the manga but WH40K is absolutely patrician.

itt: taking a picture is easier than reading them

Where's the best place to start reading the Warhammer series?

how else do you get internet cred on here?

It's not really a series, it's a shared universe with a bunch of stand-alone novels and novel series within it.
I would suggest the Ciaphas Cain series or the Gaunt's Ghosts series. Both are good books series, they follow human characters who try to survive all the craziness of the universe. Either one serves as a good introduction to 40k, imo.
If you're interested in Space Marines, the genetically enhanced warrior monks who are kinda the poster boys of 40k, I would suggest Armageddon by Aaron Dembski-Bowden. It's an excellent book and a great view into the mind of an immortal religious superhuman
Just don't read anything by Nick Kyme, that dude is the worst.

dan abnett's horus rising. first book of the horus heresy, which precluded the events that take place in the 40k universe. dan abnett is top tier sci fi writing.

>Unread copies of W&P and AK.
>Unread copies of Proust.
>TWO copies of Ulysses, unread.
>All 500+ page books look unread, except for about four which were all given up on.

HELLO PLEBO.

Don't start off with the Horus Heresy, it's more fun if you're already familiar with 40k so you can read the Heresy stuff as almost historical fiction.

1/3

just because you have the motor skills of a 4 year old and can't read a book without destroying it doesn't mean the rest of us do

(1/3)

(3/3)

>3-volume CAS
Noice

>meme copies of the greeks

I fell for the covers like a fool. Next time I'll get a real man's edition in verse

Virgil is Roman and Fagles is in verse.

I need another shelf. I have more stacks around the house.

Why do you need two copies of Anna Karenina?

i don't. need to get rid of the wordsworth edition.

chat.whatsapp.com/BXEduIdFoFsCZcsTXbYdwt

OFFICIAL /litl WHATS APP GROUP.

Pls no bully. I do have s few more, but they're in storage

I have that same LOTR

Nice. I have the same Pelican Shakespeare set.

how old are you? how long did it take you to have all these books?

nice trips. checked.

Calvino detected. respect.

Aeneid is rad, Avengers of its day. Don't talk shit bout Virgil.

Oh shit son I wanted to build shelves just like those once, but I was living in a rented place. Built shitty pine bookshelf instead. Good look.

Pic related is my favorites / to-do bookshelf. Top shelf are favs. Books on bottom shelf with butt facing camera are all Aztec and Maya studies, non-fic. Hidden behind on all shelves: more Roman shit (Statius, Virgil, Lucan), more myth/depth psychology shit. I am currently reading the middle-shelf histories and Berreby's Us & Them. I am a sci-fantasy writer.

Thinking of moving all the gameshit to someplace less embarrassing. The other wall of bedroom is bookshelves but battlestation is a mess so no pic. I've read a lot of the modern classics, great american novels, sci-fi, etc. but have avoided Veeky Forums's Big Three meme books.

I only have a photo of my desk right now. No bully.

Disgusting. Full of clutter and sci fi/fantasy trash.

>The desk doesn't face the door rather than the wall.
>He doesn't have a clear/open workspace that isn't right under a shelf.

Hello plebo. Back to Redddit.

nice. "every man dies alone" (it was published as "alone in berlin" here in the uk) is one of my favourite books

It's ok. I haven't read most of the books on my shelf, I just buy books to look smart

>SF/Fantasy
>look smart

27, about 7 years. I began around when Veeky Forums was created.

I've been slowly trying to complete it, since there's always one on the shelf when I go to the bookstore. Got Twelfth Night and Cymbeline the other day.

which ones have you read? I'm not trying to call you out or anything, I run into the same problem of owning more books that I've read.

Rare shelves incoming

Is bottom left Everyman Thomas Mann? Nice to see an American (I assume) with an interest in German and Austrian literature.

If you can fit all your books into one picture, you fucked up

it's baffling how much money was spent on these

great collection, but are you rich, or a fool

One more on the Christmas card list...

woops forgot to post my beginner shelfs 2/3

had to split my last shelf into 2

Nice - Couperus, Mulisch - any thoughts on their literature in particular?

>Giles Goat Boy
My nigga

Is that Suehiro Maruo ?

rate my stack

bottom two are bilingual editions

I know that Baudelaire is fine is a little dry/literal.

Where's your copy of Siddhartha, OP?

>movie copy of Anna Karenina

poor choice my man

that's my beginner books. high school shit lmao I have the james Franco as I lay dying

Put up some shelves after moving. Still weeding out duplicates from my fiancee, and I think there's box or two still in my parents garage.
Commencing dump, hopefully the pics are readable
1/?

For fuck's sake, why does it keep turning sideways?
2/?

>all those nyrb
have a list of them?

also, how many of these have you read, of your collection i mean.

There's a lot more unread in there than before because some of my fiancee's stuff is in there now, but I'd say a solid 2/3 at least.
I don't have a typed list, but i can try to get a better pic. I'm on my phone because we don't have internet yet.

the only NYRB i have is Anatomy of Melancholy that my mother got me as a gift, I didn't have the heart to tell her i'm too much of a brainlet pleb to read the damn thing.

I think I like Penguins more than most on Veeky Forums, but you should seriously branch out from them if you're going to hit the Greeks/Romans that hard. Some of the Penguin Roman texts are great, others are not.

-Their Plutarch is incomplete
-Their Polybius is incomplete
-Their Marcellinus is incomplete
-Their Dio Cassius is incomplete
-Their Josephus is complete for that one work, but you can get a real cheap complete Josephus instead

To be fair some stuff like Marcellinus you probably won't want to read in full, but Plutarch and Polybius are definitely worth it.

Anyway, solid collection, although frankly they don't look read. Make sure to read all of Livy (books 1-10 are good but 21-30 are amazing, 31-45 pretty good), and consider checking out Machiavelli's "Discourses on Livy" if you liked early Roman history and Machiavelli's "Prince."

Have you read that copy of "Towers of Trebizond"?

Nice collection btw.

Who is your favorite roman historian?

Thanks for the (You). You're right, they're not read: I'm burning through Livy at the moment (where the playing card is), going through the collection left to right. I'm sure Penguin has its bad sets, and all of it is probably available online for free. I was actually aware of their incomplete Plutarch "books" before purchase, but I'm fine with that. These aren't read for scholarly purposes - just pleasure and inspiration. Barely scratched the surface, already got action heroes like Scaevola, Horatius Cocles, Gaius Marcius Coriolanus. These are also only part of what I've got: Statius, Lucan, Virgil, Petronius, etc. are hiding.

Cassius Dio was mentioned by Campbell, and frequently as a source in JE Lendon's Empire of Honour (GOOD, if repetitive), so figga'd I'd go to the source. Thanks for the recommendations! Prince is on the second shelf with the politics/economics/aesthetics, partially read, and will look into Discourses on Livy.

Not yet, unfortunately. It's one of the missus books, and she's a big fan. I should probably read it in the near future

1//6 Rate and hate please

2//6

3//6

4//6

5//6

>he doesn't give his books away to friends and family

1/3

6//6

2/3

3/3

Have you read any of Oblivion so far? What do you think?

Livy by far, then Sallust. Tacitus is supposed to be the best Roman "historian" but his pithy wit is largely constrained by depressing, constricting subject matter.

Livy:
>"For you there is no middle way between victory and death — put all hope of it from you, and either conquer, or, should fortune hesitate to favour you, meet death in battle rather than in flight. Think on these things; carry them printed on your minds and hearts. Then — I repeat — success is already yours. God has given to man no sharper spur to victory than contempt of death.”

Very impressive plan! Honestly I always had more fun with ancient Rome than with Greece, and you've got basically all of the heavy hitting authors already lined up. If you end up liking one of the few whose complete works aren't offered by Penguin, you can always consider getting the Loeb editions, or at least downloading ebooks of them. Even if you don't want to buy Loebs (they're pricey), definitely check their stock as a reference for what's actually offered by any author. You knew about Plutarch ahead of time, but Penguin and Oxford can sneak a few authors by you as subtle "selections," so keep an eye out:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loeb_Classical_Library

Also if you're not averse to backlogging an extra book or two, consider checking out Appian (especially his "civil wars," but be aware that he has more books):

>Scipio maintained that while deliberation was proper when you were laying your plans, yet in an emergency, when so many men and their standards were in danger, nothing but reckless daring was of any use…He would either rescue them or gladly perish with them.

And maybe Sallust (very short, maybe 150 pages total, technically history but colored with more philosophy than most historians):

>“Is anything left for true men except to put an end to injustice, or to die valiantly, inasmuch as Nature has appointed one and the same end for all, even for those encased in iron, and no one awaits the final inevitability daring nothing, unless he is of a womanish temperament?”

Worth a look, but don't feel obligated! Anyway, best of luck, and I hope you post about what you're reading from time to time; you're going to get through some great material.

IMO totally worth it, especially if you've ever felt any inability to connect with religion in spite of desire to do so; it's a great modern perspective on faith. The first 50 pages are awful, but then the book takes off; it ended up being one of the funniest and saddest books I've ever read. Hope you give it a shot!

>Nearly all the time, God was a bad second, enough to hurt but not to cure, to hide from but not to seek, and I knew that when I died I should hear him saying, "Go away, I never knew you," and that would be the end of it all, the end of everything, and after that I never should know him, though then to know him would be what I should want more than anything, and not to know him would be hell...

>inability to connect with religion in spite of desire to do so
I get that feeling a lot. Thanks for the rec, it's at the top of my list now

Picked these up today

What's between Bellow's Stories and Schopenhauer

Nice, what made you pick up the Gilgamesh?

Was having a conversation with my wife about homers work (which i just finished for the second time) which led to a debate about the oldest "book". Google settled the argument and i decided to pick it up. No nobel intention at all.

Still though, that's cool; I hope you enjoy it. What are you reading right now?

Story of the Eye by Bataille.
Yes, I read it after I finished The Pale King, pretty good stories, except one that was also too long so it made the experience of reading that book a little tedious. Characters that seem "perfect" but they're actually fugged up, slow stories where the action never occurs... you know, DFW being DFW.