Is everyman's library objectively the best publisher?

Is everyman's library objectively the best publisher?

No, and I don't get the appeal here. They're just gaudy, overpriced hardcovers like all of the rest.

what do they look like when you take the rappers off?

Hersey kisses

They have colored cloth which isn't very high quality but looks okay, but then there's also a giant black band stamped on the spine with the name in gold and any amount of use whatsoever will wear it away until there's just a black smear on the side of the book

no such thing. different publishers do different things well. arion press is good for fine editions of classics. new york review books is good for neglected titles. i dont care to go through every publisher and what theyre good at, you get the idea though

compared to those leather shits they're the height of refined elegance.

how to people enjoy reading hardcovers? the dust jacket is such a pain to deal with, either you have to take it off every time you read in which case you have no coverart or you keep it on and it shifts placement as you open the book. not to mention the sheer weight and size that makes it cumbersome to carry around

They're not gaudy

Hardcovers are more domestic. They look good on shelves, and they can function as a sort of heirloom assuming any little shit child these days or hereafter will ever care to receive a book as a gift from a parent.

No, it's either Norton or Dalkey Archive.

>MUH CRITICALS

As eighth-grade-core as they are, I do like the Folger Shakespeare editions, which have the text on the recto and commentary on the verso. You get to learn a lot about witchcraft and bear-baiting and other fun Renaissancy things that you might miss just reading the bare text. The only downside is that they're literally written for twelve-year-olds.

It's not the best, there's no universal publisher.
Even though I mostly do Oxford, I had to get some volumes from Everyman just because of the translation alone, e.g. the works by Mann.

>rappers
Are you fucking kidding me? Not only did you use the wrong word, you also misspelled said wrong word.

I have Great Gatsby from this publisher and I didn't even know that. Quality is great but I still prefer paperbacks from penguin

nobody acutally "enjoys" reading hardcovers, they are just more durable, look better on the shelf and generally the spine and the page edges last longer during multiple reads

I tend to buy hardcovers of bigger books because l really don't like broken spines.

>tfw Book Depository doesn't have hardcovers of Gravity's Rainbow and Mason & Dixon

They are pretty cheap, sometimes their editions are even cheaper than the pockets of Oxford/Penguin.

But unfortunately they have some whacky translations for many of their books.

>pic related

fucking Farquharson

GAUDY?! They are the exact opposite of gaudy.

They are INTENTIONALLY understated in their design.

Why is everyone fucking stupid? TELL ME WHY!

Yeah, exactly. And then they have a most up-to-date and best translation at other times. Go figure.

W-what's wrong with the Everyman's Meditations? I just bought it a few days ago. Please don't tell me l fucked up.