Official Christian Veeky Forums General

Excited to dive into Confessions once I'm done exams

How familiar with neoplatonism do I have to be to read Meister Eckhart?

Praise Jesus!
Pascal's Wager.

Pascal's Wager is a shit proposition and no Christian should take it seriously. You should be driven to Christianity by love of the Lord.

>Anno Domini MMXVI
>Not being bread pilled

Agreed.

Nah, Eckhart is simple and easy to understand.

This was absolute biblio.

Feels like Scorcese's going to fuck it up, though.

Just finished a paper on this book. Heres my advice: read something else.

I suggest his other work like The Happy Life or City of God. Or boethius if you havent read him.

Matthew 4:19?

Can I be a Christian while being redpilled (in the /pol/ way) without contradictions? Can you hate women and minorities and still be a good believer?

Really? Don't get me wrong, everything by Augustine is great, but the Confessions is such an interesting read. I really enjoy his expositions on the Psalms.

Late have I loved you, O beauty ever ancient, ever new.

Nope

No

It's also an absolutely beautiful read too.

I guess Paul DID spread the gospel in Turkey....

There is neither Jew nor Greek, slave nor free, man nor woman; all are one in Jesus Christ.

If you're atheist or agnostic and interested in Catholicism I suggest reading the following.

Belief in God in an Age of Science
Surprised by Joy
Christianity for Modern Pagans
A Life of Jesus
Exploring Christian Theology
Kristin Lavransdatter

The first five are nonfiction and the last one is fiction. They're all good reads, even if you don't plan to convert at all.

You can be anything you want. God will solve all contradictions if you heed his call. You can hate anyone or anything as long as you love God. And you don't need to ask permission from anybody, since no man is guardian of his kingdom. You need to talk to him in your heart, not to men who pretend they know him and will happily lay down "his" law on you.

>You can hate anyone or anything as long as you love God.

I respectfully disagree. Jesus preached against hatred and violence.

No. I'm sorry, but race isn't even a category, unless you are a protestant.
I'll just list authors
Chesterton
Belloc
Dante
Chaucer
Endo
Greene
O'Connor
Wolfe
Tolkien
Geach
Anscombe
MacIntyre
Feser
Oderberg
Ratzinger
Kempen
Faustina Kowalska
Teresa of Avila
John of the Cross
Aquinas
Boethius
Pascal
Leibniz
De Maistre
Kirk
Augustine
Bonaventure
Scotus

>I've never read the Bible

I think his point is that though those initial contradictions exist, they are resolved through faith and through the pursuit of God (through God, rather than through man alone). In this, what he is saying is perfectly right.

My diary, desu

:3

Maximus the Confessor is a pretty cool guy too desu senpai.

I haven't gotten around most early Christian writers yet

No he's retarded and so are you

A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man

It's a story of him leaving the faith, probably not the best choice.

JOYCE UNJOUNDED

It's exactly the right choice

For Christian literature? I disagree.

Just started reading "This Present Darkness." Dialogue felt a little stilted at first plus parts are kinda cheesy but I'm actually really enjoying it.

Hating women and minorities is pretty stupid and childish. Many women are corrupted by modernity and simply need a strong and positive male in their lives. Many minorities simply have low IQ levels, this is not reason to hate them.

You can love and protect your family and people, however.

Have a commonsense approach to reality but dont put your faith in politics, put it in God.

>Have a commonsense approach to reality
That's pretty modernist thinking user.

Furthermore, I ordered this as I've become interested in spiritual warfare and possessions/excorcicisms

Care to explain?

What people consider "common sense" is essentially relativism which isn't wholly compatible with Christian belief.

>The faith of Christ is in opposition to human reason and divine revelation not only is not useful, but is even hurtful to the perfection of man.

Is quietism still a heresy?

I think it's a comfy philosophy and wish to subscribe to it, but I ain't no heretic.

Eh i mean its kind of overhyped if i do say so myself. Personally I think Boethius story is much more compelling.i mean the autobiography parts of the work are interesting enough but theres always a feeling of "Im missing something" if youre reading a translation. Often in the footnotes you'll find phrases like "This part is untranslatable omg its so beautiful i wish u could read this shit, if u only u werent a pleb lel"

Yes.

What do you find comfy about it?

my boy albertus magnus getting shafted once more. Typical

That's because his job was recognising Aquinas

>Can you hate women and minorities and still be a good believer?
They've been doing it for millennia, why stop now.

>sincere unironic Christian
>being a /pol/tard in all but name
>accuses anyone of low IQ

I stated an objective fact that certain ethnic groups have lower IQs than others. That's all.

Odd that you became so hostile, friend.

I took Christian belief for granted.

When I said "common sense", I meant grounded political choices.

Interesting point though.

The obligatory shitposter is here to inform us all that he is too clever to believe in God.

Very good lad, you can go now.

Wait, what? you believe Christendom was built on "hatred" of women and minorities? Even though Mary, Mother of God; Jesus of Nazareth is kinda what the NT is about?

There are no contradictions in the bible. Any apparent contradiction is resolved with a greater knowledge of history, language, context, and a general understanding of literature and genre.

Is Chesterton considered Christian, even outside of the obvious choices? I just got around to reading The Man Who Was Thursday, and would love some resources for better understanding it. I felt completely lost during the philosophy of the chase.

Learn to read, friendo.

>There are no contradictions in the bible.

Did you misunderstand that or something?

He's the seminal Catholic author of the century.

In any case, fedoras and polfags please fuck off, leave us in peace to talk about books.

Why don't I hear more people recommend Until We Have Faces? It's the most moving thing Lewis ever wrote.

Mostly because I don't really like Lewis.

His works are each so distinct from each other, it seems strange to categorically dislike the whole body. What have you read, and what didn't you like?

I've read a few Narnia ones, Mere Christianity, Screwtape letters and a few others I can't remember the names of atm. I just find him to be very mediocre in almost all aspects, especially retrospectively.

>I forgot him because im a pleb but no actually its because hes actually irrelevant. I am unfalliable

which bible translation should I read famalam? I go the ESV reference bible because it was free on kindle but I have NASBRE and RSVCE from my catholic childhood. Also, i can get KJV or any other older translation on project gutenberg, so just rec me some good translations.

King Jimmy will always be the most aesthetic.

Christianity is unfortunately a globalist religion, it worked great when it was contained to Europe, then it was an European religion.

But no longer...

A religion for everyone, is a religion for no one.

What is the origin of undeserved suffering?

The will of God.
He sends us suffering to see if we truly love him and are prepared to walk the road of justice when it is hard.

And if we are not?

Justice will be served.

So does God create some human beings to suffer, fail to act justly and then suffer some more?

RSV-2CE is unaesthetic as fuck, they completely removed the KJB shit like thou and art.

He doesn't create them for it, but it will happen to many yes as they will reject him. He cannot force man to love him or to be at his presence, even if he gives hundreds of opportunities to everyone throughout their lifetime.

Assuming infinite timelines, does each splintering create a new soul, or is it, as an extra universal construct, shared between bodies? And has anyone written anything good about this concept?

Why does God need someone so desperately to love him if he's perfect?

Moby Dick

He doesn't. He just wants to. He is triune so he already shares love within the three persons. You cannot assume infinite timelines as theology is clear on there being a beginning and the end.

Because one-way love is not love.

Try it, if you don't believe me.

So God "just wants to" be loved and therefore creates suffering?

God didn't create suffering, that's blatantly obvious in Genesis.

God isn't a Vulcan senpai.

He already is loved like I said.
He created beings with free will who reject him and do evil, which is the source of suffering and as his mercy is the same as his justice as he is being itself he will shine upon all souls and some will burn in it and some will be in bliss. He also partook in the suffering himself on the cross, submitting himself to be, as God, tortured and killed like a common criminal in the most degrading way.

I don't see how there being a beginning and end automatically dismisses infinite timelines. That they would all start from the same point is more than possible, and a simultaneous end is equally feasible.

Currently reading the confraternal version. Underrated translation, especially good if you want a Catholic one. The physical copies are like 5 dollars on Amazon and they're pretty comfy.

>people suffer because they reject God

Hmmm, not entirely sure about that.

>does each splintering create a new soul
No.

The soul cannot be penetrated or divided.

I'm curious. Do the Christians in the thread actually believe that the Bible is literally true(as in it conforms with both physical and metaphysical reality), or do you believe the Bible speaks of truth in action?

The Bible is inerrant, however, this is the case only when the Bible is properly understood, interpreted by the Church.

So, you believe then that a story like Cain and Abel literally happened some time in history, or do you think the meaning of the story is the point, or both perhaps?

Yes, both.

"According to ancient tradition, one can distinguish between two senses of Scripture: the literal and the spiritual, the latter being subdivided into the allegorical, moral and anagogical senses.

The Letter speaks of deeds; Allegory to faith; The Moral how to act; Anagogy our destiny."

I agree with this, up until the last 4 words being as I'm Protestant
I believe its open to personal interpretation.

>race isn't even a category, unless you are a protestant.
what?

You're given a lot of wiggle room for personal interpretation in Catholicism for the most part but there's a limit, you can't really be catholic and not believe in transubstantiation for instance.

that goes for all denominations, like you can't be a baptist and believe in infant baptism
the biggest line though, is that Protestants can differ in certain beliefs and still consider each other true saved Christians, but Catholics will consider you a heretic if you reject transubstantiation or papal infallibility or mass etc.

Stop polishing your katana and read some Russian lit.

>one can distinguish between two senses of Scripture: the literal and the spiritual

So, this could mean that the Church can consider a lot of the stories in the Bible to not have literally taken place, but stories imbued with divine meaning regardless?

Sure, if the "Church" is in heresy.

But you just said you could distinguish between two senses of Scripture, literal and spiritual.

>Can you hate women and minorities and still be a good believer?
Leftypol pls, no Christian nor /pol/ack would ever say such a thing.

Best American Christian writers of the 20th century?