How come all of the best chefs are men?

How come all of the best chefs are men?

Like seriously, cooking is associated with women, but I can't think of one successful female chef.

And by successful, I mean in a culinary career, not as a celebrity.

Why is this? Are women just inferior?

Other urls found in this thread:

lucasishuman.com/chopped/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Dominique Crenn bruh

I'm not a sexist, but women aren't usually the best at anything.

Its not that women cant be great chefs.

Its that men are more likely to be obsessive about something. That inherently produces more masters in a craft.

Its also why men are more likely to be autistic than women.

>Its that men are more likely to be obsessive about something

having a passion and drive is 'obsession'?

You don't become one of the best through having passion and drive.

because women a shit!
A SHIT!

th-th-that's only because there aren't enough fat ugly Barbie dolls who perform every profession and hobby, to encourage girls, who are told by everyone 100% of the day that they can't do what a man can do :(((((( yeah thats why :(((((

raising children is bullshit and stupid dont do dat :(((

kek

Who shattered your dreams?
Are you saying all successful people are obsessive?

I use the words in this case very similarly. I dont mean for obsession to sound negatively.

▄█▀ █▄ █▄█ ▀█▀ ▄█▀

no u

I cook for the food itself, not for the experience of cooking.

Yes.

Eugenie Brazier.

Mentor to Chef of the Century Paul Bocuse.

Most Chefs are men though, yes.

Women have inherent value. They don't have to make themselves useful.

i guess this explains millennia of domestic servitude

shrunken simpin head

There are a few exceptions, like Stephanie Izard, but traditionally the culinary arts have been a male-dominated environment. The one exception would be pastry as many pastry chefs are women.

The same reason white men dominate the upper echelons of most Western professions. Once you reach a high enough level of competency, opinions about who is better than who become very subjective, and prone to innate biases. Even more so in the case of chefs in the media. There's also, in the case of chefs, an element of the persona that is supposed to be a hardass. Can you imagine how people would have reacted to, say, Jiro if he were a woman. It would be "old homewrecking superbitch".

forgetting someone are we, op ???

I think a female ran one of Gordon Ramsay's restaurant.

This is probably bait, but go watch a few competitive cooking shows. On chopped for example, women almost never win. It's an entirely fair competition and contestants are given very concrete reasons as to why they got chopped. Even when they did the judges episode (Canadian version at least) the woman got destroyed and it was very apparent that she was outclassed.

The kind of gender studies, broad strokes, statistical analysis and speculation you're shilling is garbage. Particularly in the restaurant industry where 99% of the people dining at a restaurant don't know or care who the chef is. They base their decision on the quality of food, atmosphere, price, and taste. There's no reason why a woman chef can't be as successful as a man and pretending that these unverifiable barriers exist will just discourage people from trying.

>one woman gets destroyed on a TV show
>muh statistical evidence

Aren't the majority of judges on that show female?

To argue that what makes a chef successful is their merit alone is just crazy. You have to get promoted, you have to win the approval of owners and to get to that top level I'm talking about, you have to be widely praised as an individual. All of these are impacted by bias.

We know that there is a huge divide. So what's the other reason that won't discourage people from trying, exactly? Women are just worse?

Paula
Fucking
Deen

You pleb

Chloe Coscarelli.

>I can't think of one successful female chef
>not as a celebrity

I can't think of any chef, period, who is not a celebrity.

women are a meme

>one woman gets destroyed on a TV show
Not one, like I said, women very rarely win. It's a trend. If you treat the show as a fair experiment it clearly shows that women, when judged on merit, skill, and results, fall short of their male peers.

>muh statistical evidence
I'm not sure what you're referring to here. So I'm going to ignore it.

>Aren't the majority of judges on that show female?
I'm not sure, a fair few are, but they aren't the ones who are competing (usually). They could be there for any number of reasons and being a superior chef is only one. They have the free time and desire to be on the show. Being part of a panel of judges doesn't directly correlate with skill. For example, Ramsay has never been a judge on the show (to my knowledge). Does that mean he's not as good as the women on the panel?

>All of these are impacted by bias.
Bias exists, however the impact it has on human decision making is not well understood. You can't fully understand the decision making process of others. Half the time people can't even clearly articulate why they make certain decisions. The impact of bias is intrinsically unquantifiable and any attempt to do so is a second-hand abstraction at best. I won't use such shotty measures to develop my world view.

>We know that there is a huge divide.
Yes, but random speculation on the reason for that divide and blaming it on "muh bias" is nonsense. It's like saying, "We all know apples fall to the ground, obviously it's because apples and the earth are magnetic."

>Women are just worse?
Empirically yes. I've pointed to a fair experiment that demonstrates this. That doesn't mean women can't be just as good, it's just that they tend not to be as good. Humans are sexually dimorphic, and have some obvious differences in both physiology and behaviour. Why can't this be one of the (relatively few) differences?

cooking is not an easy job and is pretty physical

women would rather let men do it professionally

Here's some actual statistics on the subjects: lucasishuman.com/chopped/
Which directly fly in the face of your assumption about women under-performing (if they do, it's by about 4%, well within the margin of error). There are just more men competing.

Maybe the fact that you saw a pattern that doesn't exist according to the data could belay your own bias?

>Why can't this be one of the (relatively few) differences?

Because cooking at a very high level is almost an entirely rote based, higher brain, intellectual activity. There's very little genetic interplay there.

Because they know the man is paying for the bill and know what to give to him

I don't know why people even bring this up anymore pretending like it's some sort of mystery. It's been established for decades that men have an inherent advantage when it comes to spatial skill. That isn't to say women can't be as good. It just says that men will naturally be better at it if you're working from a clean slate. I am sure this has carry over to many other skills - cooking too.

Also, men obviously have some genetic drive for problem solving. People think of 'tinkering' as an activity reserved for autists but you can pretty much observe this in various expressions in any group of males (except liberal redditor males). Just look at how many illiterate southern red necks are insanely competent mechanics or builders.

Men are just better when it comes to stuff like this. A 5'7 white dude isn't going to play in the NBA. By that same token, a woman isn't going to go up against a man because they'll just get destroyed